WTF is Wil Wheaton?

Actually, just reading the title and the original post, it’s pretty nasty actually.

[quote=“The Professor”]They managed to almost completely sink and ruin at least one formerly active (and now almost ghost town-like) forum that I can think of.

[/quote]

not homebrewchatter was it?

FTW

The guy is on twitter which is the ultimate bash-a-thon. I’d think he’d have a little thicker skin. Having said that, I understand why he wouldn’t want to get involved after reading the OP. But again, I’m sure he hears much worse on a daily basis on Twitter.

I doubt he was that offended or anything. Apart from a couple crass comments early on, there was as much love as hate - with a little good natured ribbing thrown in.

Maybe we should create the official Wil Wheaton appology thread where we actually engage in the subject of beer making.

“Hey Wil, What are the basics of you recipe developed for NB?” - for example.

On the contrary, it sure appears he was offended.

@stompwampa I’m a little baffled by all the hate, and I don’t think I’ll be investing my time talking to people who are stuck in 1990

[quote=“dobe12”]On the contrary, it sure appears he was offended.

@stompwampa I’m a little baffled by all the hate, and I don’t think I’ll be investing my time talking to people who are stuck in 1990[/quote]

Hmmmm…

Not sure how much actual “Hate” there was.

Oh well, what are you going to do? We unintentionally pissed off Wil Wheaton. That is not something you get to say every day.

Again, Wil, we really are just about the beer around here. Can’t imagine anyone being stuck in the 1990s - what a nightmare. Appollogies for any offence.

To be fair, I would say I’m a Wil Wheaton fan, but when I saw the mash-up, I didn’t think it was a good fit. Wil is a homebrewer, sure, but not an authority. He capitulates to that (a bit) on his blog (see below), but I’d generally dislike that NB has set him up to be an “authority” by pushing his recipes. I think if they wanted to get celebrity star power behind an advertisement, they’d have done it better by showcasing Wil as who he really is: just a regular guy who occasionally homebrews.

“Some of the marketing language in the announcement is a little much (I don’t think I’m a master brewer, yet)…”

https://wilwheaton.net/2014/02/wil-whea ... rtnership/

[quote=“Silentknyght”]To be fair, I would say I’m a Wil Wheaton fan, but when I saw the mash-up, I didn’t think it was a good fit. Wil is a homebrewer, sure, but not an authority. He capitulates to that (a bit) on his blog (see below), but I’d generally dislike that NB has set him up to be an “authority” by pushing his recipes. I think if they wanted to get celebrity star power behind an advertisement, they’d have done it better by showcasing Wil as who he really is: just a regular guy who occasionally homebrews.

“Some of the marketing language in the announcement is a little much (I don’t think I’m a master brewer, yet)…”

https://wilwheaton.net/2014/02/wil-whea ... rtnership/[/quote]

^This.

I knew Wil was a homebrewer before that kit came out and when I read the marketing material that came out I was like “wow, I thought he was an enthusiast and a hobbyist, not a master brewer.” Either way, I am a Wil fan on many different levels.

What’s wrong with the 90’s? The music was way better than today and my 401K was huge…

@stompwampa I’m a little baffled by all the hate, and I don’t think I’ll be investing my time talking to people who are stuck in 1990[/quote]

Maybe he DOES take himself a bit too serious. Too bad, I like him on Big Bang.
Although I wouldn’t have phrased it “WTF” if it were my post.

Perhaps the biggest issue he has was that many poeple (me included) had no idea who he was outside of the forementioned “Whil Wheaton” from family guy…Eh, some people cant take a joke haha :cheers:

I’m a fan. More so his more recent work (BBT, Leverage, etc). Told the wife about his beer kit and was told I had to brew it. She doesn’t even like IPA’s.

Perhaps he could be asked to hoist the mantle of Brewing TV host. Seems he’s qualified.

I would watch that.

I would watch that.[/quote]

As would I!

I think he may have been referring to the sandals-and-socks-with-leather-lace-belt look and general troglodytic stereotypical homebrewer ‘style’. Or maybe he’s just referring to the talk of his acting catalog. Either way, snubbing the forum of the site where your product is being sold may not be the best way to sell kits Mr. H-wheaton! :mrgreen:

My thoughts exactly, seems like a bit of a poor sport if you ask me. And not that I generally buy any kits but if I did I don’t think I’d be “investing my time” making Hwhil Hwheaton’s

I also think if he had taken the time to read through the whole thread it is apparent there was a lot of positive sentiment there. On the whole we are a very thoughtfull forum - with a fairly welcoming and relaxed attitude. A few people want to crack a few Wesley Crusher jokes on an off topic subject as a bit of fun, big deal. I never really picked up any malicious intent from anyone - including the OP actually.

Anyone who is serious - or even half serious - about brewing gets all the respect they deserve here. I bet Wil could have added some interesting insight to the forum with respect to his experience as a guest brewer. If he wants to blow us off because we’re stuck in 1990, that’s his business. But there are a lott of great people associated with this forum, and that is his loss.

My thoughts exactly, seems like a bit of a poor sport if you ask me. And not that I generally buy any kits but if I did I don’t think I’d be “investing my time” making Hwhil Hwheaton’s[/quote]
Really? You think that because his kit is sold by NB, that he has to come on the forum to appease us?? I guess when you buy subway, you want Jared to serve your grinder to you… C’mon man!