WTF is Wil Wheaton?

[quote=“mppatriots”][size=80]
Really? You think that because his kit is sold by NB, that he has to come on the forum to appease us?? I guess when you buy subway, you want Jared to serve your grinder to you… C’mon man![/size][/quote]

LOL. Well put.
This thread is getting stranger and stranger with each bit of gratuitous (and bizarre) negativity that gets posted.
I still don’t “get” where it’s coming from. :roll:

It comes from
1 - people saying mean things about Wil W.
2 - people saying it’s not okay to say mean things about Wil W
3 - feelings on various combos of the above

I named my Irish ale “Don’t be a Langer.”

My first time in Dublin a local kept going on and on about how I needed to find a way to get the word “langer” on American TV. Turns out he was a langer.

[quote=“jtb”]It comes from
1 - people saying mean things about Wil W.
2 - people saying it’s not okay to say mean things about Wil W
3 - feelings on various combos of the above[/quote]

LOL…I get that.
I was just puzzled about why people were talking smack about him to begin with.
Just seemed mighty odd to me…

This may have been said, but I think any angst should be directed toward Northern Brewer instead of W.W.

NB is totally over-selling this thing: “Seriously. Wil. Freakin. WHEATON”

Yeah, seriously?

I think there is a heirarchy of respect among homebrewers, and even though W.W. seems to be a cool guy and homebrewing enthusiast, to my knowledge, he is not someone who is widely regarded as a highly accomplished brewer.

The “excitement” on NBs part is a little over the top, obviously for marketing purposes so they can sell more product.

It’s nothing personal toward Wil. I would imagine if the tag line were “Seriously. Leo. Freakin. DECAPRIO”, there would still be some sort of retort like, “Why the f*** should I care what Leo DeCaprio brews?”

[quote=“Steeler D”]This may have been said, but I think any angst should be directed toward Northern Brewer instead of W.W.

Yeah, seriously?

I think there is a heirarchy of respect among homebrewers, and even though W.W. seems to be a cool guy and homebrewing enthusiast, to my knowledge, he is not someone who is widely regarded as a highly accomplished brewer.

The “excitement” on NBs part is a little over the top, obviously for marketing purposes so they can sell more product.

It’s nothing personal toward Wil. I would imagine if the tag line were “Seriously. Leo. Freakin. DECAPRIO”, there would still be some sort of retort like, “Why the f*** should I care what Leo DeCaprio brews?”[/quote]

well said…that much emphasis on a C list actor (i like Wil, but guest starring on Big bang Isn’t exactly a lifetime achievement goal for most actors) is seriously. Freakin’. Ridiculous!

I was kinda thinking the same thing about their overselling. I feel like NB has been overselling a lot lately as well as installing lots of new gimmicky recipes or products so as to separate consumers from their money. I can’t help but feel like their recipes have gone down hill. Having said this, NB is still one of my favorite forums and source for ingredients and sorry if i took this forum in another potentially unhappy direction.

How is this any different from any company who puts a celebrity name on any product. I may take a look at it because of the celeb, but if it isn’t a good product I won’t give it a second look.

Your totally right, this isn’t new for companies; however, NB in my opinion used to buck this trend but they have changed in my mind over the last 1 - 1.5 years.

Yep. And as NB continues to grow, it will likely try to appeal to a broader and broader market. “The masses”, if you will. Which is entirely the counter opposite to the niche of those who are typically the most passionate about the hobby.

But you are right. There is nothing unique about NB in this regard. And if I was a shareholder I would probably be doing the same thing.

Now, let’s all go storm the “Swiffer Quicker Picker Upper” Message board and rag on whatever poor celebrity is mopping their sparkling clean floors!

I think the difference is that other celeb endorsement’s are notable in the field for which they are endorsing products. They pitch the product in terms of, “This is such an awesome product, I’m proud to put my name on it.” Fashion products from Fashionable celebs; cooking products from celeb chefs.

What irritated me most was claiming he’s a brewmaster now, and the whole, “Will. Freaking. WHEATON!” as if being a second-tier character in a popular TV franchise made him special. That is, being famous and being a brewer does not make one a famous brewer.

That said, I like to keep an open mind, and went to the the Devil’s Gate Website:

It also sounds like he’s been working with some of my favorite NB kits. So, I’m really turning around on the whole Will Wheaton subject.

I’d still like to see NB have more endorsements from people who are recognized for beer-related accomplishments, like the Pro Series, and the Denny Con kits. The Patersbier drops the name of Stan Hieronymus.

[quote=“Steeler D”]This may have been said, but I think any angst should be directed toward Northern Brewer instead of W.W.

Yeah, seriously?

It’s nothing personal toward Wil. I would imagine if the tag line were “Seriously. Leo. Freakin. DECAPRIO”, there would still be some sort of retort like, “Why the f*** should I care what Leo DeCaprio brews?”[/quote]

Not to be too cynical here, but it’s starting to sound like Northern Brewer is trying to make money!

My thoughts exactly, seems like a bit of a poor sport if you ask me. And not that I generally buy any kits but if I did I don’t think I’d be “investing my time” making Hwhil Hwheaton’s[/quote]
Really? You think that because his kit is sold by NB, that he has to come on the forum to appease us?? I guess when you buy subway, you want Jared to serve your grinder to you… C’mon man![/quote]

Well not really getting that analogy. All I’m saying is that from reading this thread there seem to be quite a few folks on here that sincerely think quite highly of the guy, I’ll admit I’ve never given him any thought one way or the other before this thread. That said he’s certainly entitled to not want to join the forum and to insult all of the people here if he thinks a few others were having some fun at his expense. My point was it comes off as not only quite petty but bad for business, his and NB’s. That’s all I’m saying, believe me I have no more interest in brewing a batch of beer with Wil than I do splitting a $5 footlong with Jared.

Honestly, I had no idea who Wil Wheaton was before this thread popped up. But I DID meet Jared one time. I was doing a 5k with my wife and there he was, on the side of the road in the middle of Fargo, meeting people and making a planned appearance. Hah! I’d say it was definitely the high point of the 5k for me. :lol: And if he would have busted out a sammich, I would have sat right down and split it with him. Let’s be honest, you would too.

:cheers:

Also, I agree that NB is getting a bit aggressive with the marketing. I kinda liked it better when they were just the cool homebrew shop. I think things changed a bit when Keeler and Dawson hit the road - there was a definite style shift. Things are just more gimmicky now.

Really? You’re insulted by that?

Really? You’re insulted by that?[/quote]

No, I wasn’t insulted at all. I hadn’t even posted to the thread at the time so I don’t think anything was directed at me, but I think you’re pretty naive if you don’t think he was trying to insult those of you who had posted.

Really? You’re insulted by that?[/quote]

No, I wasn’t insulted at all. I hadn’t even posted to the thread at the time so I don’t think anything was directed at me, but I think you’re pretty naive if you don’t think he was trying to insult those of you who had posted.[/quote]

I don’t know. If I told someone I really don’t have the desire to participate in a discussion I would mean just that. No insult intended. Maybe I just have thicker skin. It hasn’t affected my life in any way.

[quote=“mattnaik”]
I don’t know. If I told someone I really don’t have the desire to participate in a discussion I would mean just that. No insult intended. Maybe I just have thicker skin. It hasn’t affected my life in any way.[/quote]

I think he(and NB) would have been better served if he did as you describe, but it didn’t really play out that way, not sure if you actually read his response or not, “baffled by all the hate…don’t wanna invest my time with a bunch of people who are stuck in the 90’s…”, pretty sure there is a bit of an insult intended there(admittedly a pretty lame attempt at one). That’s all I’m saying man, don’t make my comment out to be more than it is.

[quote=“BPBCo”][quote=“mattnaik”]
I don’t know. If I told someone I really don’t have the desire to participate in a discussion I would mean just that. No insult intended. Maybe I just have thicker skin. It hasn’t affected my life in any way.[/quote]

I think he(and NB) would have been better served if he did as you describe, but it didn’t really play out that way, not sure if you actually read his response or not, “baffled by all the hate…don’t wanna invest my time with a bunch of people who are stuck in the 90’s…”, pretty sure there is a bit of an insult intended there(admittedly a pretty lame attempt at one). That’s all I’m saying man, don’t make my comment out to be more than it is.[/quote]

I read it, I just don’t feel like its an attempted insult. We can agree to disagree on this one. No hard feelings. :cheers:

“WTF” is this thread still going… :lol:

Unsubscribed!