What's your beer consumption?

Some days I’ll drink a beer, some days I’ll have 2 or 3, some days none. I probably average about 12 oz per day, almost always my homebrew. The typical beer is drunk with dinner, or when taking a sauna. That total doesn’t include wine; sometimes I’ll drink a glass of that instead of the beer at dinner, so total alcohol consumption is a bit higher. But I avoid hard drinks; unlike some here, I don’t enjoy getting anything more than a very mild buzz. Definately drinking for the flavor.

I’d like to say I limit myself to 3 pints a night, but 4 or 5 is probably more accurate. Weekends tend to be similar, unless we are hanging out with friends in which case 10 or 12 may be the norm.

I try to limit the % these days, because cutting back the volume is hard. Most beers I like are 4.1-4.4 %. I try not to go above 5%.

It’s just so good once it touches your lips. Plus, it gets friggin’ cold up in Ottawa much of the year. Need something to take your mind off it.

My wife refers to me as a lush, but without much more judgement than that. Since most of my friends still drink like I do I don’t tend to stand out all that much.

I usually avoid drinking wine with dinner these days, and start with the beer a little later in the evening, so I at least limit things as much as I can. A world without a few litres of beer most days seems like a place where I’d prefer not to live.

I drink 2-6 drinks (beer/wine/booze) a day. Also like was formerly mentioned weekends/days have no meaning to me as I run a restaurant. There aren’t many days when I don’t have any. I just really enjoy alcoholic beverages (flavors more than side effects). I also have started brewing more sessionable beers as well to make the quantity easier on me.

As far as “defintions of alcoholism” goes it would be curious to compare the U.S.'s to other countries. America is terrified to say that drinking in moderation is ok. Sure “a drink a day keeps the doctor away” but like an earlier poster mentioned “one 22oz bomber can make someone a heavy drinker”. If you enjoy your beers and your health and life are intact, enjoy away I say.

Bah, take it with a grain of salt and another pint.

[quote=“Zube42”]
As far as “defintions of alcoholism” goes it would be curious to compare the U.S.'s to other countries. America is terrified to say that drinking in moderation is ok. Sure “a drink a day keeps the doctor away” but like an earlier poster mentioned “one 22oz bomber can make someone a heavy drinker”.[/quote]

I can’t speak with great authority, but it is my impression that drinking in general is more tollerated here in Canada than the US. And in Europe more so than either. Just looking at legal drinking ages can be informative. A naughty European starts drinking at 11 or 12 yrs / a naughty Canadian at 15 or 16 / and a naughty American at 18 or 19. These are somewhat arbitrary numbers, but from my experience have been generally the case.

Honestly, I couldn’t even comprehend the idea of not drinking at a bar until 21 years. But maybe someone from the US would think it is crazy that in many Euro countries a kid as young as 13 or 14 could be seved alcohol in a restaurant.

you’re all a bunch of drunks! :lol:

So were F Scott Fitzgeral and Mordecai Richler. And most Pirates I imagine.

So were F Scott Fitzgeral and Mordecai Richler. And most Pirates I imagine.[/quote]
and let’s not forget Bukowski!

Well, in Wisconsin binge drinking is alcoholism. Anythnig less is normal. I gravitate towards lower ABV because I enjoy drinking beer. I average 640 oz to 768 oz per week. Average 5-6 pints per day, some days none, some days 10. I have no rules about when to start drinking. More depends on what I’m doing. If I mow the lawn at 9am and finish up at 10am, I’ll have a brew or two without hesitation. Lot of times I’ll wake up and do my brew stuff, so a sample of this or a sample of that. On those days, that’s usually all I have, unless I’m up past 11pm, then I’ll draw a pint.

I think it’s a matter of your respsonsibilites (kids, work, etc.) and/or lifestyle. I need to keep my blood thin to counter the high cholesterol that is thinkening it.

[quote=“Chester3”]Well, in Wisconsin binge drinking is alcoholism. Anythnig less is normal. I gravitate towards lower ABV because I enjoy drinking beer. I average 640 oz to 768 oz per week. Average 5-6 pints per day, some days none, some days 10. I have no rules about when to start drinking. More depends on what I’m doing. If I mow the lawn at 9am and finish up at 10am, I’ll have a brew or two without hesitation. Lot of times I’ll wake up and do my brew stuff, so a sample of this or a sample of that. On those days, that’s usually all I have, unless I’m up past 11pm, then I’ll draw a pint.

I think it’s a matter of your respsonsibilites (kids, work, etc.) and/or lifestyle. I need to keep my blood thin to counter the high cholesterol that is thinkening it.[/quote]I hear the air smells bad where you live. :roll:

It’s one of our tourist attractions.

Very interesting thread, and coincidentally something that has been on my mind (and a lot of other peoples’, too, judging by the 4 pages of responses). I always get comments from my friends about how much they think I drink because I brew beer and often have gallons of it bottled or kegged at any one time.

Actually, based on reading of the thread, I’m on the low-mid-range with about 0.75 beers a night weekdays, 1-2 a day on weekends. My kegerator has actually moderated my drinking because now I can pour less than a full bottle when I just want a little. I try to keep a lower ABV mild on tap for a work-out “recovery drink” (P90X-speak). It’s all about portion control (see recent thread on exercising and beer consumption that spun off this thread).

Keep healthy, enjoy, but don’t overdo.

[quote=“Tom_B”]

Keep healthy, enjoy, but don’t overdo.[/quote]
I think this is something most of America and even the world doesn’t understand.

But I certainly believe that the occasional over indulgence isn’t a big deal.

The wife and I average 640-680 oz of 5% per week.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”][quote=“Zube42”]
As far as “defintions of alcoholism” goes it would be curious to compare the U.S.'s to other countries. America is terrified to say that drinking in moderation is ok. Sure “a drink a day keeps the doctor away” but like an earlier poster mentioned “one 22oz bomber can make someone a heavy drinker”.[/quote]

I can’t speak with great authority, but it is my impression that drinking in general is more tollerated here in Canada than the US. And in Europe more so than either.[/quote]
I think that depend on where in Europe you are, just like different parts of the states have different standards. In Scandinavia, people seem to drink a lot more than where I grew up in New England, and binge drinking is much more of a problem as well. But the laws and customs on how alcohol is controlled is actually tighter. In central and southern Europe, it seems legally and socially much more relaxed AND there doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem. Perhaps the “forbidden fruit” aspect contributes to the abuse.

2-3 pints a night through the week and on weekends it’s all up in the air. Of course if the wife and I are going to be out and about the numbers tend to be less. She doesn’t usually drink so I have a defacto DD just in case. 8)

Before I met the wife I was a miserable dick…especially when drinking more than about 2 beers. More than once I would tap a keg on a Sunday and it would blow on a Thursday. The roomie at the time only drank liquor so it was all me and at the time I was brewing 7-8% routinely. Looking back I’m not sure how I did it. Certainly hard to get up for work in the morning.

Now I’m happy and I have a few a night. Come to think of it, my brewing has gotten better now that I can actually see what I’m doing. :roll:

but I’m feeling MUCH better, now.

:cheers:

I tend to drink wine during the week. My wife and I enjoy cooking and mealtime is some of the best time we spend together. She doesn’t like beer and I do like wine. Maybe 3-4 glasses a week. As I’ve mentioned before in this forum, I help my wife with her small craft business and work nearly every weekend. I’ll have a beer after we finish up prepping for the market on Friday night and then a couple Saturday and Sunday night when we get home, especially if I’ve recorded a game. I only brew 30-40 gallons a year and that’s enough for my rate of consumption plus what I give away or share with friends and family when entertaining. I consider myself a moderate drinker.

I could certainly drink more beer but limit my consumption as I am not interested in growing a spare tire. When I was a competitive ultimate player and ran my ass off three or four days a week, calories were never a concern. As I get older and exercise less intensely, it’s harder to keep weight off and even harder to lose it when I put it on, especially the way I like to eat.

I usually drink about 0-2 glasses a day. So I guess that’s up to ~24oz. Sometimes I dont drink for days, sometimes I drink like there is no tomorrow.

[quote=“A National Acrobat”]2-3 pints a night through the week and on weekends it’s all up in the air. Of course if the wife and I are going to be out and about the numbers tend to be less. She doesn’t usually drink so I have a defacto DD just in case. 8)

Before I met the wife I was a miserable dick…especially when drinking more than about 2 beers. More than once I would tap a keg on a Sunday and it would blow on a Thursday. The roomie at the time only drank liquor so it was all me and at the time I was brewing 7-8% routinely. Looking back I’m not sure how I did it. Certainly hard to get up for work in the morning.

Now I’m happy and I have a few a night. Come to think of it, my brewing has gotten better now that I can actually see what I’m doing. :roll:

but I’m feeling MUCH better, now.

:cheers: [/quote]
I think this is fairly common for homebrewers, unfortunately. It’s pretty easy to become an alcoholic when you’ve got good beer on tap all the time at home. That’s why I think it’s good to moderate oneself.
Good to hear that you’re not drinking so much these days. I used to regularly consume 4+ a night a couple years ago before I was with my girlfriend. When you’re single, it’s pretty easy to over consume as there is no one around to worry about being offended by your consumption rates.

I think I average about 5 drinks per week (12-16 oz). Brewing 5 batches a year is plenty for me.

I limit myself to one can a day. what is a Corny if not just a large can of beer?