What's your beer consumption?

I don’t drink Monday - Thursday and try to stick to 12 beers over the weekend…but we all know if we have our own beer in the house we tend to drink a bit more :slight_smile:

If it’s store stuff I’m normally in the 7-9 % range…home brew 6-7%.

Interesting thread - Until I discovered real beer, I never drank during the week and binged while boating on weekends drinking Coors Light all day, every day.

Then I started drinking real beer (Dogfish Head) and drank one or two nights a week. I loved drinking two and getting a buzz.

Now that I home brew, a lot, I drink pretty much every day. Average 2-3 mugs a night, but with 6-7 different beers on tap, all at different ages, flavors and recipes, who can resist?! I gotta check carbonation levels, clarity, flavors, etc, all in the name of research. Plus I live in the middle of nowhere now and I ain’t going anywhere at night.

Sheesh … I’m a lightweight.

It’s usually 1 a night for me then 2-5 on a weekend. And hockey beers don’t count since they’re basically water (miller light).

Usually one or two bottles a night, maybe 3-4 nights a week depending on my work schedule. I love craft beers so usually i’ll get a Make-Your-Own Sixer and will have one or two at most a night. Sometimes its a 22oz bombe though so I guess im over the limit. Wouldn’t consider myself a heavy drinker by the CDC’s guidelines, im a bigger guy and don’t get out of control or “Crave” the booze, just love finding a great brew and enjoying it.

This.

Also, if I pour a pint to test carb levels, or test a sample to see if fermentation is complete, is that drinking? Seems more like research to me :slight_smile:

More than I should based on my weight creeping upward since starting this hobby, but I have moved toward more session-able beers lately. Keeping under 5% ABV I can easily have 8-10 beers on a weekend day, then typically one midweek evening with 4 or so, depending on the season (golf during spring and summer and hoops late fall and winter). Or like tonight with the Bears playing.

Interesting thread. I generally do not drink Mon-Thur unless it’s a special occasion, I’m having meetings with coworkers from out of town (like this week) or I’m traveling for work (like next week). It’s bloody hard not to drink beer when the company is paying for it. Good thing my company cut way back on travel a couple years ago.

My problem for a while was how easy it was to invent special occasions. :wink:

So, generally dry during weeknights. On weekends, it’s typical for me to have 4-6 per night–usually in the 4-6% range, but occasionally up to 8-9%.

I’m more concerned about the calories than the alcohol.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Interesting thread. I generally do not drink Mon-Thur unless it’s a special occasion, I’m having meetings with coworkers from out of town (like this week) or I’m traveling for work (like next week). It’s bloody hard not to drink beer when the company is paying for it. Good thing they cut way back on travel a couple years ago.

My problem for a while was how easy it was to invent special occasions. :wink:

So, generally dry during weeknights. On weekends, it’s typical for me to have 4-6 per night–usually in the 4-6% range, but occasionally up to 8-9%.

I’m more concerned about the calories than the alcohol.[/quote]

I like to have a couple pints on Monday’s after my daily slave duties are done just because Mondays I really hate Mondays. Tue - Thurs I usually don’t drink that often. Over the weekend I will tend to have atleast 4 to 6 pints a day of what ever I have bottled or kegged. It’s really kind of hard for me to have an average due to all these awesome ( 225 + beers )brewfests we seem to have every other week down here in the Georgia / Alabama area. It’s really easy to forget how many you’ve had when someone gives you a sample glass and lets you have unlimited samples of great craft ales for over 5 hours of a craft beer lovers paradise. I mountain bike almost daily so I think that helps with the additional calorie intake, But who cares about calorie intake when it comes to a great tasting hand crafted ale.

1/2 gallon on any given day is about standard for me, I drink that much most days. I don’t particularly drink more or less on a weekend, I just start earlier but also end earlier. 80% is homebrew which is almost never above 6%… not a fan of anything higher, even commercial.

I was gaining a good 10lb /year since I turned 21 (started homebrewing at 22). Went from 165 to 225 between ages 21 and 26. When I hit 225, I joined a gym (June 2011) and I’ve been going nearly every day since. I’ve worked my way up from running 2.5miles in 35 minutes, to 6.25 miles (10k) in 58 minutes. But I haven’t lost any weight. It’s just evened out at about 222. Figure I’d actually lose some weight if I didn’t drink so much, but that wouldn’t be any fun, now would it…

For me, it’s less about the alchohol and more about the food aspect of enjoying something tasty and interesting. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the buzz. It’s relaxing at the end of a day, but it does get in the way of productivity. I’ve been working on replacing some of my drinking with eating. Having full meals, for example, and not skipping out on snacks or lightening meals to drink more. Nothing makes me want to not have a beer more than a filling meal with a small desert.

More than anything, drinking is a habit and hobby for me. I don’t even think about wanting a beer if I have a fully tummy and keep my mind active.

I typically have 2 beers a night, almost every night. Once in a while, I will go nuts and have 3-4, but for some reason I tend to be prone to getting really lousy hangovers from not much beer. I must be dehydrated or something…

I never feel the need for a beer, but like others have mentioned, sometimes it just goes down waaaay too easy, and having 4 taps staring me in the face can be hard to resist! Also, I usually plan out my brews a year at a time, and buy ingredients all at once. So I often find myself drinking a bit more because I’m excited to get to the next batch. That’s also a good motivator to share with friends though.

I’ve never felt that I have a problem with alcohol, I eat very healthy food so my weight is not an issue, and overall I feel that my life is a lot richer thanks to this hobby and the appreciation of quality beer. Brew on!

[quote=“mvsawyer”]
If all I drank was homebrew, I’d blow through a batch in a week.[/quote]

Guilty. should have planned my brew schedule better…

I like to think of this place as one big, happy, AA meeting.
Another vote for ~2 beers a day.
Sometimes 3 if I’m drinking brews that are <6%, and I’ll still lose count now and then on the weekends.
Back in the day, once the beer switch got turned on, there was no kill switch.
So I try to keep that in check, and having appreciable beer, a job I’d like to keep, and kids helps with that.

Mon. - Thurs. probably drink 3 of 4 nights, 1-3 beers per night.
Friday and Saturday - 4-6 beers per day
Sunday - 2-4 probably.

So, Probably 18 pints per week or so.

Time or two per month - “special” occasions: 8-12+ are not out of the question. This happens more often in the summer and less often once school year starts. Camping/fishing/hunting trips . . . . . Don’t ask:)

Sun-Thurs usually 0, unless a really bad day (rare).

Fri-Sat: 4-6 per night with an occasional 8.

I cut my beer drinking down to eight days a week.

I feel like docking you 3 days of beer for reminding me of the Beatles. :twisted:

I had to reduce my beer consumption because I get " BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS! "

An average day (I can’t delineate between weekends and weekdays b/c I’m a server/bartender and we don’t get consistent schedules) is about 2-5 beers. Percentages range considerably, and I rarely get too carried away unless mine and my friends’ schedules sync up to the level where they can be away from their children, jobs, and wives for a day or two. Then the wild rumpus begins.

I’m probably average. I never drink before 7pm mostly because I don’t care for beer with food. I have 1-3 pints per night 5-8%. A couple nights per week I don’t drink (Friday and Sunday). Weekly average is 10-12 pints. I drink for the flavor and enjoyment of the hobby. I love to entertain and share my creations so we have a lot of regulars visiting from the neighborhood.
Side note:
When I started in 2001, I weighed 264 and now I weigh 314 but I am 6’5". The weight never goes away.