What's your beer consumption?

I was reading this thread on the “New Definition of Alcoholism”, and I got seriously curious…

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110034&p=970566&hilit=+alcoholism#p970566

…how much beer does everyone drink each day and each week? In ounces, if you’re feeling smart, and in approximate ABV if you’re feeling scientific. I’m not judging, but seriously curious. I’ll go first:

Daily: 12-36oz of 4-8% ABV. Varies alot.
Weekly: 150-180oz, probably averages to 5.5-6.0%

An interesting thread.

Most evenings I’ll have a pint before going to bed, and may have a couple on Fridays and Saturdays. The beers I brew typically range from 5-9% ABV, with most falling in the 5-6% range.

By those numbers, I would guess this puts me at roughly 144oz per week on average.

I’ve decided to cut back. It varies a lot for me. Depends if we go out, have company, etc etc. I would say that if we don’t go out its probably 5-7 drinks per week of avg strength beer. Other weeks when we actually hang out with some folks may be double that. Maybe ill start keeping a rough log of drinking…

A beer a day keeps the doctor away. I have at least 1 after work the most is usually 2-3 total through out the night. Probably <252 oz of 4-5% beer a week.

WAAAYYY too much. Often 3-4 per day. I’m back on my exercise schedule, though, so I’m trying to cut that back to 0-2. But that’s when I’m not working. Often, when I’m working a lot, I’ll go 3-5 days without a beer.

Most days, a half-gallon or so, some days nothing at all, and if on-call for work, pretty much dry for the entire week. Typically 5-8%, and if going stronger, I drink a little less.

So probably average out about three gallons a week.

Wow, hard to say. I’ve been trying to not drink during the beginning of the week. So booze free (ideally) Mon-Wed. Then Thursday rolls around and I’ll have one or two.
Then Friday and Saturday is pretty unpredictable, I’d say at least five but as many as 12…
Sunday used to be a beer free day as well but it’s Football season again and I normally do a beer a half and then probably some more to drown my sorrows (Vikings fan here).

I probably drink 1-3 bottles or pints a day of around 5-6% beer and more on the weekends. I’m not concerned about weight (ok, maybe a little, but not much), I bike for transportation and I bike pretty hard. But, I’m worried about dependency. Seems like my night isn’t complete or something until I have a beer. Kinda sucks. I like coffee and drink it regularly, but I can go weeks without drinking it.
If I had my drothers, I’d drink 3-5 pints every day.
But nearly every serious cyclist I know drinks a lot of beer…it’s part of the lifestyle I guess.

During a Monday-Thursday work week I’ll drink about 3 pints a night. After work on Friday and throughout the weekend, the levies burst and I will easily drink a gallon/day. I outweigh the additional calories by drinking my meals :slight_smile:
If all I drank was homebrew, I’d blow through a batch in a week.

Interesting, thanks for your honest responses.

FYI, the (US) CDC says (for men, unless elsewhere specified):

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm
  • A "drink" is 14.0 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol.[/*]
  • "Moderate" drinking is 2 or less "drinks" per day; [i]not[/i] intended to be averaged over a period of days. [/*]
  • "Heavy" drinking is more than 2 "drinks" per day, on average.[/*]
  • "Alcohol abuse" is basically bad behavior with and/or caused by alcohol (i.e., drinking & driving/operating heavy machinery, legal issues, violence, relationship problems, etc.), and is somewhat of a precursor to alcoholism.[/*]
  • "Alcoholism" is a strong craving for alcohol (and?) a continued use despite physical/psychological/interpersonal problems (and?) an inability to limit drinking.[/*]

The notion of what a “heavy drinker” is was surprising, to me. A 22oz “bomber” of an IPA is over 2 “drinks”, and could be pushing 3. The 12oz “double pilsner” I’ve been drinking is practically 2 “drinks.”

Perhaps its from my upbringing, but I was always conditioned to believe that “heavy drinking” is alcoholism or alcohol abuse, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. I get queer responses from some individuals when I discuss my homebrewing hobby, along the lines of “You make five gallons of beer? How could anyone drink that much?!”… as if I drink it all in one sitting. When those individuals make those comments, I feel as if I’ve spontaneously sprouted devils’ horns… you’ve just been judged and there’s nothing you can say to change their mind.

Good to know I’m not the only miscreant around. :cheers:

Trust me, you’re in good company.

I can almost see their definition though. If I have two beers on a work night I’m fine, that third one generally makes me sleepy and just generally less ambitious later in the evening. The problem is, my beer is pretty darned tasty! So I’ve been trying to brew more of the 1.040-1.045 and less of the 1.050+ brew.

it doesn’t matter. I’m not an alcoholic, ich bin ein trunkenbold. alcoholics go to meetings & make other people’s lives miserable. I make everything awesome with awesomeness.

I never crave alcohol…mostly because I’m always drinking it! LOL
If I or my family noticed any real abuse, I’d change. The problem with this, just like silentknyght said, drinking every day and making homebrew is abuse to some people.

Drink and be merry!
:cheers:

Agreed!!

[quote=“Silentknyght”]I get queer responses from some individuals when I discuss my homebrewing hobby, along the lines of “You make five gallons of beer? How could anyone drink that much?!”… as if I drink it all in one sitting. When those individuals make those comments, I feel as if I’ve spontaneously sprouted devils’ horns… you’ve just been judged and there’s nothing you can say to change their mind.

Good to know I’m not the only miscreant around. :roll: most of them don’t want to know & judge you for brewing 5 gallons (gasp!) of quality while they go through a 12-24 pack of butt light a day/week.

Depending on my schedule with work and family, I’ll have one beer at night maybe 4-5 days a week. I don’t really think about ABV when I’m drinking, but I do find that I generally don’t finish a lot of the bigger beers. On rare occasions, I may crack into a second brew once every week or two, but that’s generally if what I’m drinking is going down real easy (generally my smaller homebrews), and I’m staying up late for something.

Now that’s alcohol abuse! :wink:

Wasn’t there something in the new definition about thinking a lot about procuring or obtaining alcohol as well? If that is the case then doesn’t this make us all alcoholics if we are thinking about brewing a beer, planning it out in detail and go so far as to schedule out part of our weeks to do so?

It would if we didn’t have to wait months to reap the benefits!

[quote=“mvsawyer”]During a Monday-Thursday work week I’ll drink about 3 pints a night. After work on Friday and throughout the weekend, the levies burst and I will easily drink a gallon/day. I outweigh the additional calories by drinking my meals :slight_smile:
If all I drank was homebrew, I’d blow through a batch in a week.[/quote]
This is probably very close to me. 1-3 pints per night is common although there ARE nights when I do not have a beer for whatever the reason (like there is an open house at the school or some other event where drinking does not match) and other nights where 5-8 pints is very possible. My beers come in around 5%, generally. Yes, when people are over I will pretty much lose count of how many beers I’ve had. I am not a huge eater and I try to be careful with what I eat. When the weather is decent (March thru Oct/Nov) I ride my bike about 9-10 miles 3-4 times a week and that’s my exercise. Man, when you have taps sticking out of the wall of your basement… it’s not easy to have just one and walk away! :expressionless: