What's your beer consumption?

[quote=“Beersk”]
I think this is fairly common for homebrewers, unfortunately. It’s pretty easy to become an alcoholic when you’ve got good beer on tap all the time at home. That’s why I think it’s good to moderate oneself.
Good to hear that you’re not drinking so much these days. I used to regularly consume 4+ a night a couple years ago before I was with my girlfriend. When you’re single, it’s pretty easy to over consume as there is no one around to worry about being offended by your consumption rates.[/quote]

Wise words, sir. Wise words. Since I’ve stopped being constantly sloppy (been with the wife for 3 years now)I have found my desire to drink comes and goes. A couple weeks ago I really looked forward to getting home from work and pulling a pint or two. Last night we went out with some freinds to an outdoor fest/carnival with a good live band and some good beers on tap. I had water. I guess I just looked around at everybody drinking and I just didn’t want to be a part of it at that moment. Next weekend Ill probably throw a few beers with some buddies at a bonfire.

I suppose I’m good with the amount I consume…and so is the wife. She would let me know otherwise. :mrgreen:

Yesterday I only had four bottles of 8% Stout all day. Fortunately they were liter bottles. Today will be about the same give or take. Mondays we both take off from drinking and usually Tues as well. Wed is a toss up and Thurs maybe a couple. Then back to the weekend and all bets are off. Now that summer is over we will cut down some since there won’t be a constant party every weekend at the lake.

What is my consumption in oz? Beats me, it is better to not keep track. We do stay away from being behind the wheel any time we drink. I m amazed by some of our friends that think nothing of it though.

[quote=“HD4Mark”]Yesterday I only had four bottles of 8% Stout all day. Fortunately they were liter bottles. Today will be about the same give or take. Mondays we both take off from drinking and usually Tues as well. Wed is a toss up and Thurs maybe a couple. Then back to the weekend and all bets are off. Now that summer is over we will cut down some since there won’t be a constant party every weekend at the lake.

What is my consumption in oz? Beats me, it is better to not keep track. We do stay away from being behind the wheel any time we drink. I m amazed by some of our friends that think nothing of it though.[/quote]
Wow, that’s a lot of beer drinking.

I decided yesterday, after a week or two of drinking too much every night, that I’m going to start limiting myself to only 1 pint a day Sunday through Wednesday, a few on Thursday (because I do a bike ride with friends and we usually get beer and pizza at the end) and as much as I feel like on the weekend. I’ve been having like 3 pints a night, sometimes 4 for a while…too much. I always notice how much better I feel mentally and physically when I don’t drink as much.

1-3 per night during the week, a few more on the weekends, but its not my fault, I make damn good beer and once you have 1, it hardly seems fair to not have a second :mrgreen:

I don’t have a traditional work schedule, I work rotating shifts, all 3 shifts and days off could be any 2 days of the week. During my work week if I am on Mids or afternoons, I usually don’t have any. If I am on 8-4 I may not have any as I am in that group of individuals that suffer bad morning after effects, but if the 8-4 shift was a bear, the boss was on everyones case, etc… I have been known to pull 3-4 imperial pints.

On my days off at least 3-4 imperial pints and if I have a weekend off and there is a sporting event that I enjoy, easily 8-12 pints starting around noon. However, it does seem to be too much sometimes especially the day shift after work 3-4 if that happens 3-4 days in a row. I should stay off day shift!

my magic number is 14, or on average, 2 per day per week. Thats when its actually still ‘healthy’ for guys according to my doc (women are only 1 per day).

Most weekends, I like to have a couple on Saturday/Sunday during football. Therefore, I will usually have none/1 on weeknights. I think last friday i had 2 pints, but then i made up for it on Saturday at my group brew session (probably 4 all in all), then a few gins on Saturday night.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of weeks when I go way over. But I try to go into the weekend with 8-10 drinks left in my ‘queue’!

This is the only site I’d probably not feel guilty admitting it. About 1-3 beers on a weeknight, and 4-8 on a weekend or any night I don’t have to work in the morning! Crap, those are pints, not bottles too.

This is why I’m seriously getting into session beers. A 4% hoppy pale ale is awesome for this.

Average 2 pints a night during the week and 4 a day on the weekends. Since I only homebrew twice a month I have to continue researching new taste sensations through purchases at the local beer store. I would say my average ABV is above 6% since I love IPA’s.

Wow! I just did the math and that equals 18 beers a week on average. I need to increase my monthly homebrewing quotent.

NewbieJM

I would say that I am on the low side as well - average 1 a day and then maybe 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. I have found that I go through a lot of beer lately because people are requesting that I bring beer to parties. I guess that is a good sign.

[quote=“gusrotteyman”]I would say that I am on the low side as well - average 1 a day and then maybe 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. I have found that I go through a lot of beer lately because people are requesting that I bring beer to parties. I guess that is a good sign.[/quote]It is until it becomes something that they take for granted.

Feel a bit like an AA meeting here…lol…

kinda surprised no one mentioned what goes on on the inside-liver, colon, stomach (alcohol is brutal on the stomach) Anyway, I am 46, been drinking beer since about 18, I’d say over the past 10 years, i average 2-3 a day/night and more on weekends.(4-7 over a much longer period) I just love beer and consider it my one poision. I haven’t taken an NSAID in at least 10 years, maybe anti-biotics twice, no other drugs… and I am very active-hold 2 jobs, etc. In fact, my part-time job is with Whole Foods Market and I eat very healthy and take lots of supplements and am maybe 6 pounds from my high school weight.

That said, my sister, 47, non drinker, non smoker had a tumor removed from her colon this past June, so in I went next as is normal protocol. Colon normal, but he also did an upper GI (not with the same tube:)) and found some inflammation in my stomach–I never have heartburn and the only real chnages I have found in my health over the past say 5 years, is I am a lot more gassy. I attribute that to eating more beans as well as drinking a lot more homebrew (unfiltered) and less commercial beer. I was a bit miffed, but he immediately asked how much alcohol I drink and how often. He did biopsy the site and I haven’t heard the results yet (no news is good news, I guess), but I have a follow up with himon 10/8.
So I just wanted to bring attention to the fact that alcohol does do a bit more than add calories without being a Debbie Downer. I too am brewing lower gravity beers, but I work at Whole Foods with a lot of people younger than me who are always asking me for beer and of course they don;t want cream ales etc, so it’s been a bit of a battle for me.

THIS!!! x1000!!! I had to quit having parties at my house because they would drink ALL my home brew. I’ve even had people drink freshly bottled stuff & say, “this one’s flat, dude.” & grab another right away.

Oh god, I refuse to even quantify it for fear that it would count as the first of the twelve steps, admittance…and dammit, I am NOT an alcoholic…I’m a BEER ENTHUSIAST!!! There’s a difference, I tell you!

At present, I am quaffing two pints each night of a 6.7% Belgian Strong Ale (a “watered down” Tripel brewed during my local HBC’s Big Brew on May 5) as a “sleeping aid”. And yes, I AM a doctor :wink:

It used to be said that you were safe as long as you drank only as much as your doctor (think the movie Stagecoach). I have to start shopping for a doctor that homebrews!!!

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]It used to be said that you were safe as long as you drank only as much as your doctor (think the movie Stagecoach). I have to start shopping for a doctor that homebrews!!![/quote]In my homebrew club (CRAFT) is a Pediatrician. Hmmm

The professor that runs the brewing science program at UC Davis (I forget his name, but I know he’s been interviewed on The Brewing Network during one of their online radio shows) did a study trying to figure out if beer consumption explained why the Egyptians were so much healthier than other civilizations on the planet at that time- he and his students brewed up a batch of Egyptian beer, based on a recipe found on some wall in a tomb over there- they then did a full biochemical analysis on the finished product, and found it actually contained trace amounts of the antibiotic tetracycline. Not sure if this applies to hombrew these days. However, the yeast in unfiltered beer does have some health benefits, particularly niacin and other B vitamins. SO…drink up, but KNOW YOUR LIMIT, and don’t drink and drive.
That will be $85 please. Sorry, we don’t accept that particular insurance plan :wink:

So, who won?

After I bottled a five gallon batch this morning, I found myself reorganizing my beer cellar to make room for said batch.
Which ultimately led me to tally how much beer I actually have, which amounts to 338 bottles. I have just about enough empties to bottle another batch in a few weeks, and if I don’t get too carried away, I should be able to get back to having a bottle in stock for every day of the year.
That probably would seem crazy to those that keep a 24 pack of BMC in the fridge,
and just go buy another case when that ones empty.
However, when the zombie apocolypse comes, strong Belgian ales and a few shotguns should solidify me into a position of command over one of the militias. Then we shall see who is crazy.

[quote=“Scott Miller”]
However, when the zombie apocolypse comes, strong Belgian ales and a few shotguns should solidify me into a position of command over one of the militias. Then we shall see who is crazy.[/quote]
I’m with you on this one. I plan on cornering the SE MN section. shotguns, mash paddles, and Belgian yeast bank that would scare a monk.

on a side note: I have been disappointed in The Walking Dead. they’ve gotten all survival but have not brewed one batch of beer.

I brewed 125 gallons in the past 12 months, + 15 gallons mead, so about 16,000 oz., 43 oz per day average… most beers around 1.050, most in the company of brother and close friends or listening to (name drop) Mark Levin.

The only alcohol problem here is that from time to time, I have to supplement…