What do you pay for a sack of base malt?

Evening all,

I’ve been buying my bulk base grain from a local brewery for over a year now. In the past 2 months, 2 home brew stores have opened up in my area (0 before than). As a result the brewery I used to buy grain from is not selling anymore. I was curious to hear what everyone was paying for sacks of grain. Obviously I get that some companies are more expensive, and it depends on malt style.

Thanks-

[quote=“holaday1185”]Evening all,

I’ve been buying my bulk base grain from a local brewery for over a year now. In the past 2 months, 2 home brew stores have opened up in my area (0 before than). As a result the brewery I used to buy grain from is not selling anymore. I was curious to hear what everyone was paying for sacks of grain. Obviously I get that some companies are more expensive, and it depends on malt style.

Thanks-[/quote]
I just bought a bag of 2 row from NB 34.99 plus shipping. In my case it turned out to be cheaper than buying local.

One of the breweries sells base malt for $45. The new LHBS sells Briess for I think that much but I’d rather by the MT grown Malteurop from the brewery. Avangard pils at the LHBS is $43.

Lowest end I pay about $35 CDN for Canadian 2 row. Seems comparable to American prices. I do tend toward imports for my bases though. Both British and German base malts tend to run me in the $55-65 CDN range at the moment.

$44 for 2 row from my LHBS, if I drive 45 minutes away to more beer it $36.

$25-28 for domestic, $30-35 for continental

The last sack of British Pale malt I bought (55lbs) cost me around $55. Last sack of domestic 2 Row cost me $40.
Sure is a far cry from just 10-15 years ago when I was paying $19 for a 55lb sack of Crisp Maris Otter. and an average of $10-12 for a 50lb sack of domestic 2-row.

[quote=“The Professor”]The last sack of British Pale malt I bought (55lbs) cost me around $55. Last sack of domestic 2 Row cost me $40.
Sure is a far cry from just 10-15 years ago when I was paying $19 for a 55lb sack of Crisp Maris Otter. and an average of $10-12 for a 50lb sack of domestic 2-row.[/quote]

Even just 3 or 4 years ago I could get domestic 2-row for $25 for 25Kg. And imports were in the $35-40 range.

I usually give $26 for domestic.

I guess I’d be asking you to violate your relationship with NB if I asked you to specify exactly where you get continental malt that cheap (because it certainly can’t be from our host site!) but I can’t help wondering just the same. I’ve never actually bought in quantities that large myself, but the prices I’ve seen for imported malt are usually around $50 for a 50 lb. sack, uncrushed. You’ve got me thinking it’s time to buy a grain mill and start shopping around for a cheaper supplier of base malt!

Sounds like several of you are able to get in on group buys.

I just checked prices at a local place I’ve been buying sacks from since last Aug. Originally I bought a sack of Rahr 2-row for $45. Now they’re charging $50. Might as well buy from NB now.

In time a grain mill will easily pay for itself and then some. Not only can you save per pound by buying in bulk, but many people can actually reduce their grain bill slightly due to an increase in mash+lauter efficiency.

I think the cheapest I can get a sack of continental 2row is for $45. For those that purchase it online, what site are you using?

My LHBS sells Breiss 2-row for about $49 after my 10% discount so I pay $43 for a 55 lb sack of Canada Malting 2-row from a local janitorial supply place called Ezell Supply. Here is their price list for all they carry.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1_Yy4u9ejHet4Cme13t67kv_Rnzw_hYrSgEPe9UIbcbM

About $50-55 for domestic 2-row and $65-70 for imported stuff like Maris Otter or German Pils. This is in Connecticut, land of the $8 pint.

I buy directly from a local malt company, and the price goes up and down with world-wide grain market prices, but last buy was 22 Euros per 40 kg sack. That translates to about US $0.35/lb.

Grain is the only brewing item I can buy here that is cheaper than what you pay in the states.

Some of you guys get some pretty sweet deals. I get Rahr Pale Ale malt as my main base malt and it’s usually around $40 and I think it’s a 50-lb sack (or 55?). Best Malz is usually the best pilsner malt carried by my supplier and it’s usually a little more. The Canadian Malting 2-row is one of the cheapest sacks and it’s also one of the larger ones. The guys always tell me You’re paying less and getting more with the Canadian Malting! I bought a sack of it once and my beers came out nice with it.

A lot of brewers in Ottawa do a group buy through the local home brew club. I am not a member, nor do I really want to be. If I used as much malt as I did a few years ago I would definately considder it.

If I were to drive to Montreal and go direct to Canada Malting (Canada Maltage locally) I’m pretty sure you can get bags for $20/25kg.

I guess I’d be asking you to violate your relationship with NB if I asked you to specify exactly where you get continental malt that cheap (because it certainly can’t be from our host site!) but I can’t help wondering just the same. I’ve never actually bought in quantities that large myself, but the prices I’ve seen for imported malt are usually around $50 for a 50 lb. sack, uncrushed. You’ve got me thinking it’s time to buy a grain mill and start shopping around for a cheaper supplier of base malt![/quote]

Via a bulk buy our club does. We buy a couple pallets at a time through a local brewery.

Same here. I have two friends who own commercial breweries.
But, a group buy is your best chance to save.