What do you pay for a sack of base malt?

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]
Grain is the only brewing item I can buy here that is cheaper than what you pay in the states.[/quote]

Sounds like you should start banking your yeast and growing hops! Is that even possible in Finland?

I guess I’d be asking you to violate your relationship with NB if I asked you to specify exactly where you get continental malt that cheap (because it certainly can’t be from our host site!) but I can’t help wondering just the same. I’ve never actually bought in quantities that large myself, but the prices I’ve seen for imported malt are usually around $50 for a 50 lb. sack, uncrushed. You’ve got me thinking it’s time to buy a grain mill and start shopping around for a cheaper supplier of base malt![/quote]

Via a bulk buy our club does. We buy a couple pallets at a time through a local brewery.[/quote]
Yeah, I suspected that you might have a connection with a brewery. Nice perk!

[quote=“El Capitan”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]
Grain is the only brewing item I can buy here that is cheaper than what you pay in the states.[/quote]

Sounds like you should start banking your yeast and growing hops! Is that even possible in Finland?[/quote]
I have done both. Finland is outside the grow zone for hops, and I have yet to find anyplace I can buy decent rhizomes for beer varieties, but I’ve got an ornamental hop plant that will yield mature cones in late September or early October if we haven’t gotten a killer frost yet. I mostly age them and use them in sours. As I don’t brew a lot of very hoppy beers, I just suck it up and pay the 9Eur/100g (US $3.50/ounce) the LHBS charges.

Other prices:
Yeast smack pack: 12 Eur (US $16.70)
Dry yeast pack: 4.5 Eur (US $6.25)
Specialty grains: 4Eur/kg (US $2.50/lb)
Dry malt extract: 14 Eur/kg (US $8.85/lb)

I guess I’d be asking you to violate your relationship with NB if I asked you to specify exactly where you get continental malt that cheap (because it certainly can’t be from our host site!) but I can’t help wondering just the same. I’ve never actually bought in quantities that large myself, but the prices I’ve seen for imported malt are usually around $50 for a 50 lb. sack, uncrushed. You’ve got me thinking it’s time to buy a grain mill and start shopping around for a cheaper supplier of base malt![/quote]

Via a bulk buy our club does. We buy a couple pallets at a time through a local brewery.[/quote]

Damn, I was hoping you had a discount store. I work in Springfield, so a trip across I5 would be worth it.

I pay $40 for GW in Salem. Same shop I bought my kit 15 yrs. ago.

Homebrew shops around here charge $75/sack.

I usually pay about $25-35 through a local brewery or a group buy. Weyermann, Thomas Fawcett, Franco-Belge, Canada Malting & Great Western.

Picked up a sack of Great Western 2 row for $45 bucks yesterday. Not a bad deal…

Friday I picked up 3 more bags of CMC 2-row for $43 ea per 55#

Just got my order picked up…$28 for Rahr, $33 for Best.

Ah, now you’re just bragging! Turd. :stuck_out_tongue: