What are you drinking now

Best Bitter, Sun Dog IPA, Vienna lager, Schwarzbier and dry Irish Stout on tap. Pilsner in the lager chest and hard cider resting in the garage fridge for summer.

Got my Pils kegged… Cider is taking its time to finish up… Brewing Irish red this W/E! Sneezles61

Recipy for cheese cake please. Me brew sat and sunday. Sat a pilsner sunday. A. Vanilla. Choc stout

My first lager after 100 ales. No coldcrash Czech Pils

6 Likes

Trying my first home brewed Pale Ale. I’m happy with the results.

8 Likes

Thats a nice glass of brew right there! You best pat yourself on the back! Sneezles61

Doppelbock

3 Likes

Solace Brewing Company Partly Cloudy NEIPA. El dorado and citra hops 7.3abv. Pretty tasty and pairs nicely with steak tacos…

3 Likes

:dizzy_face: I think I’d be close to heaven right there! Sneezles61

1 Like

Blue Moon clone. I have 5 brothers-in-law coming for Easter and they like wimpy beers, so I brewed this one for them. It’s good, but a little weak for my taste. My other tap has Denny’s BVIP. With these guys coming, that one is all mine! I did a side by side with a Blue Moon and mine is definitely better. :slight_smile:

BTW, I have the Perlick flow control taps and love them.

4 Likes

I make a Belgian wit and love it. Although a lighter beer it’s very drinkable with great flavor. Sometimes just what you (I) want

People, please don’t judge a beer on gravity alone. Judge it on its merits per style…

One thing I’ll never understand is why someone will rate a beer style they don’t like and score it poorly… WTF did you buy it?

No offense towards you @Frankm, “just sayin’”

1 Like

An Imperial Porter is not a crossover beer serve something like a well balanced pale ale and make some converts. When in Rome

1 Like

I really like my Perlicks too! I’d like to try that brew! Sneezles61

No offense taken at all. I appreciate the advice that you all offer. I learn so much on here every day, and I just can’t thank you enough for that.

1 Like

Have a friend that’s BJCP certified. This thread reminded me of a nice discussion with him on judging beers for style even when they’re not his preference to drink. That discussion made me want to try other styles and taste what are considered “best examples” of those styles commercially. It’s also also very helpful before I try to create a recipe in a new style. Tasting a beer according to style is also what I try to keep that in mind when friends ask me what I think of a beer they’ve brewed, not so much whether I like it or not. Good thread @Frankm !

1 Like

That’s a pet peeve of mine as well. As Brewers we know the difference between styles and try to judge them accordingly. I’ll get people tasting two different styles and declare this one or that one is better having no idea that they are drinking 2 different styles and the are supposed to be different. You can like one better than the other sure. But doesn’t mean it’s better. It’s one thing If they declare I’m not a real conisour and I’ll explain the difference and they understand. It’s the people who think they are conisours and only drink one style and everything else is no good. Sorry for the rant. I could go on

2 Likes

I am by default suspect of style guides in anything. While I understand the need to categorize things for understanding and comparison, true innovation, in any discipline, is stifled by having to fit into stylistic categories. It should always be the job of the style guides to “keep up” with the times and not visa versa.

2 Likes

I agree that there’s a big difference between “it’s not as good as that one” and “I like that one better”.

@squeegeethree while I also agree with you regarding innovation, I believe if you’re brewing an ESB, for example, brew it to style. Otherwise don’t call it an ESB. Call it dannyboy’s bitter mashup or something unique. That way when less informed friends taste it they won’t judge the category by your unique out of style beer.

Likewise, I don’t believe the style guidelines should be expanded so quickly to include beers that may just be a passing fad of the current craft beer consumer. How long do you really think the milkshake beers are going to be around? Classic styles are classics because they’ve stood the test of time…OK my rant is over too.

3 Likes

I enjoy trying all kinds, types, styles. When I realized the difference between drinking beer and tasting beer, things really changed for me. That’s why I love to get flights when we visit a brewery.

2 Likes

My latest a pilsner

5 Likes