Wasted Grain

So I got up this morning excited to brew for the first time in months. I had ordered my grain from NB and had it waiting to do a BIAB Innkeeper today. I boiled my sparge water, got my mash water up to temp, dumped my grain in…only to realize at that point that it had NOT BEEN CRUSHED. DAMMIT. UGH. I guess there’s no way to save this huh? Looks like an unplanned trip to the LHBS is on the agenda. I WILL BREW TODAY!

Yea, I think you are screwed :wink:

Is this a real post or just some trying to be funny…because I have to laugh at anyone who would not notice the grain was not crushed…possibly you are a blind brewer? LOL

What a bummer.

That would be a mess and a lot of effort to attempt to crush it now under any method. I would dump and go to LHBS too.

I thought I sensed a disturbance in the force.
Condolences for the expired, now ‘compost’. :wink:

Ouch. Harsh.

Ouch. Harsh.[/quote]

Yea, GarretD thanks so much for your support bro. I suppose we can’t all be as perfect as you. I’ll be the first to admit it was pretty damn stupid to just dump it in without looking but after many orders from NB this is a first whether it’s my fault or theirs that it wasn’t crushed. One more lesson learned.

I made the trip to the LHBS and I’m mashing in as I type.

Thanks for the condolences and support guys. :cheers:

Ouch. Harsh.[/quote]

Yea, GarretD thanks so much for your support bro. I suppose we can’t all be as perfect as you. I’ll be the first to admit it was pretty damn stupid to just dump it in without looking but after many orders from NB this is a first whether it’s my fault or theirs that it wasn’t crushed. One more lesson learned.

I made the trip to the LHBS and I’m mashing in as I type.

Thanks for the condolences and support guys. :cheers: [/quote]

Oh come on…don’t be angry…you have to admit…it’s pretty damn funny…

Wonder if a stick blender might’ve done the trick? It’d have been a pain in the but though.

The other thing that comes to mind, is whether this would’ve mashed if given enough time.

A few years back someone posted here about doing the same thing but didn’t realize until after the mash. It worked but they got terrible efficiency.

I could easily see that happening if you are just used to dumping in pre-crushed grain. Gives ya a real sinking feeling though when you realize you made an epic mistake.

Grain is cheap enough that I would have just dumped it too. The worst part is needing to take an unplanned trip to the LHBS in the middle of a time slot you thought was going to be devoted to brewing.

Aw man that sucks. But it is sort of a tragic comedy. One would think one would notice uncrushed grain…
But you’re lucky to have a local homebrew shop to go to, whereas I do not.

When I first started using steeping grains in extract brews I didn’t know you needed to crush them. Seemed to get a nice bit of flavor out of them.

I would have saved the wort and added the crushed grains to it - to become an Imperial Innkeeper! Thankfully that recipe is on the light side for grains. Sorry to hear your troubles, but I bet that will never happen again. Once you buy a mill, you never have that problem, because all your grain is uncrushed - but wait I dumped flaked corn into my hopper once! What a mess that was – rice hulls to the rescue…

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]I would have saved the wort and added the crushed grains to it - to become an Imperial Innkeeper! Thankfully that recipe is on the light side for grains. Sorry to hear your troubles, but I bet that will never happen again. Once you buy a mill, you never have that problem, because all your grain is uncrushed - but wait I dumped flaked corn into my hopper once! What a mess that was – rice hulls to the rescue…

:cheers: [/quote]

I let the uncrushed grains mash for almost 2 hours and didn’t get anywhere close to the anticipated preboil OG so I dumped em.

The good news is that this experience DID prompt me to buy a grain mill. I got my barley crusher yesterday and will crush a grain bill for an irish red ale later this evening!

Good for you!

I’m late to the party here, but thought I would throw this out in case anyone is still following the thread. If you’ve been brewing long enough, it is likely that at some point you have gone onto autopilot and done something similar. I was half way through a mash when I noticed my false bottom leaning against the wall behind the mash tun. It can be funny later, but at the time it is anything but. Lost money, lost time, etc. Most of us have our stories. :slight_smile:

Heck, my dumb things I’ve done to screw up a brew day are way too numerous to list and way too painful to think about.