Simple electric BIAB

I was wondering if this would would work. Could I buy a blichmann boilcoil and install it in a non blichmann brew pot. Then use a simple controller to do a electric BIAB?

You would need to be keep the bag away from the coil when you’re heating to maintain temp in the mash.

Heat your water in the electric pot and dump it into a cooler per Dennybrew.com

Boil the wort in the electric pot. Simple, cheap, and effective.

^^^ But not a BIAB. :wink:

What if i use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-B16 … 7Q7PZB104C to keep it off the coil

OK, how about:

Heat your water in the electric pot and dump it into a bag inside a cooler per Dennybrew.com

Boil the wort in the electric pot. Simple, cheap, and effective.

Edit: just priced the BoilCoil. Please disregard the reference to “cheap”! Cheap, is a water heater element installed per instructions at: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

[quote=“Old_Dawg”]

Heat your water in the electric pot and dump it into a bag inside a cooler per Dennybrew.com

Boil the wort in the electric pot. Simple, cheap, and effective.[/quote]
Sure, you could do that, but again, it’s not a BIAB and it’s more complicated and expensive. Why not go with the cheapest and simplest possible method?

OK what would be simplest and easiest way to go about 5 gallon all grain electric?

[quote=“stabu”]OK what would be simplest and easiest way to go about 5 gallon all grain electric?[/quote]Old_Dawg keeps trying to convert you to using a mashtun, which is simple and easy, but BIAB is simpler and easier, also cheaper. You just need to manage the heating element which shouldn’t be hard to do if you use a large kettle.

I have a 10 gallon kettle. I need to add elements, can I do this on 120v? I’m pretty lost on how and what to do now.

Amen and Hallaluya Brothers and Sisters! Lets hear it for electric BIAB in a cooler mash tun!

Or not. That Bayou Classic basket should do the trick, but WOW, that’s a lot of money! Especially on top of the Blickman coil.

Theelectricbrewery.com has detailed instructions and parts lists for installing a water heater element in any pot, and the element can be driven with 120V. But, according to my arithmetic, a water heater element rated at 5,500W (at 240V) will deliver 1,380W at 120V and will draw 11.5A. My experience with a 5,500W element shows it will boil water rapidly (sorry, haven’t timed it) at 240V, but takes a Very long time with 120V.

You could install more than one element (be sure to power them from different circuits), but that’s getting a little more complicated than I’d care to try, and you still have the problem of keeping the bag off the element(s).

Can I get an AMEN for brewing in a cooler mash tun? Nothing? No one?

Well, I guess you could go to the Church of Propane.

I was looking to go electric when I read up on induction burners. Here is what I use now.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco ... 8*240.html

All you will need is a 240V outlet and an induction ready pot (a magnet has to stick to it). I saved so much cash going this route. :cheers:

[quote=“Beerginer”]I was looking to go electric when I read up on induction burners. Here is what I use now.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco ... 8*240.html

All you will need is a 240V outlet and an induction ready pot (a magnet has to stick to it). I saved so much cash going this route. :cheers: [/quote]

Where did you get the pot? Do you use as a BIAB or do use mash tun? Sounds like a really awesome way to do it!

I’ll second the induction BIAB route. Works great for me, I use a N Brewer Mega pot and 3500w induction burner for my 3 gal batches.

I have just been using a standard bayou classic kettle for now. It doesn’t have a tri-ply bottom, but works fine for boils. I do need to be careful if doing a decoction mash to make sure I don’t scorch the grain on the bottom of the kettle. I purchased a NB Mega pot like wodbee has because it was on sale and had the tri-ply bottom. To see if your current kettle is induction ready just put a magnet on the bottom of your kettle, and if it sticks you are good to go. I do not used BIAB but only because I had an unused cooler around and it only took 15$ to turn it into a Denny Conn mash tun.

Is your 220 outlet gfci protected?

Mine is not. It is essentially a one burner stove top, and they are not usually gfci protected. It also comes with a 3 pronged NEMA 6-20P plug which is only 3 wires. I am not a certified electrician, but I think a 240V GFCI would need 4 wires and an entirely different plug.

So you use 110v for 5 gallon batch and it reach a boil?

No it is a 240v unit. Two hot wires each supplying 120v and a ground wire = 240v

Oh ok. 220 should be ok right?