Saison DuPont

Why is the fermentation odd? I thought you suggested starting at 70deg and then let it run up.

Sorry. I mean I thought the fermentation suggested by the sugar web site was odd. I would not pitch yeast at 75-80 degrees. I start at 68 or so to start out with and then let it go up to 90.

that was my meaning as well. This suggests a warm pitch at 80, hold at 80, then DROP to 70. Seems like it would be begging for underattenuation.

Here’s mine. It came out great:

Saison Dupont Clone

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 20.75
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.27
Anticipated SRM: 3.2
Anticipated IBU: 32.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

100.0 20.75 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.037 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

2.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.10 22.5 60 min.
4.00 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.50 8.1 1 min.
1.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.10 1.9 1 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time

1.20 Tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient Other 10 Min.(boil)
1.50 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 2 Min.(boil)

Yeast

Wyeast 3274 Belgian Saison

Mash Schedule

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 20.75
Water Qts: 36.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.73 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 165 Time: 10

Notes

Use plenty yeast nutrient, give it a long shot ~2 minutes of
straight o2, and overpitch.

Pitch at 75F. Ramp up to fully 85 - 90F primary, and by 5th day slowly back
down finishing ~80F after total of 7 or more days. Ramp slowly down
to 70F for secondary and maintain secondary 10 - 14 days still on trub.
Check gravity, cold crash, and then keg.

targets:
FG 1.002 - 1.005
6.3 ABV
Ferment 80 - 95F
bottle condition 74-75F for 6-8 weeks
carbonate to 3 - 3.5 volumes

Here is what’s going in today 10.6 lbs Belgium pils,8oz Belgium caravienne,2oz Belgium caramunich
1.25oz EKG @ 60, 1oz Styrian Golding @ 10, 1oz Styrian Golding @ 0. I was all set to use 3724 but my store talked me into 3711. This summer when it’s warmer I’ll try the 3724 so I can compare for myself. Also I’m going to batch sparge. I’m not looking for a perfect match just want to make a good beer without getting to complicated. Ill have .75 EKG left since I bought 2oz. Any ideas about when to add it or not?

It’s 11 days in fermenter. Temp is low 80s,still bubbling. I am going to leave it for a full three weeks should I leave it at 80 the whole time or let it start to drop?

I would leave it at 80 for the full three weeks then cold crash. Chances are the bubbling is just the beer degassing. Do you have a gravity reading?

Ill have the equipment out this weekend so I plan on taking a gravity then. What temp should I bottle condition and how long?

I would do a minimum of 3 weeks @ 70*, but this beer will just get better with age…at least I haven’t had an older saison that has not been spectacular.

To really duplicate Sais DuP, you should propagate its own yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Just do a yeast starter using its own yeast. It’s a voracious buncha little beasts. They should snap out of it without problems.

This will guarantee the same yeast characteristic.
Good luck.

I heard they use a different yeast for bottling

I would leave it at 80 for the full three weeks then cold crash. Chances are the bubbling is just the beer degassing. Do you have a gravity reading?[/quote]
.006 carbed my sample in my wife’s soda stream( don’t tell her) and it was quite good. I will let it go till Friday then crash for a few days and bottle next week. A friend of my got me a box of new 1l flip tops at a tag sale over the weekend which will be the beers home for two more weeks.

Two weeks in the bottle at 70 deg. Starting the tasting. Quite good . I’m going to let it go another week of two. I keep sneaking down for a taste so we will see.

Not as clear as I would like it.

farmhouse ale…it shouldn’t be Miller Lite with respect to clarity, but as your quotemaster says, if you can wait a bit in the bottles, it will clear. Take it on faith. Take it to the heart.

I hear ya brother

My saisons usually sit hot for 5-6 weeks so I always reyeast at bottling. I usually use WY1968 or some other highly floculant yeast that I have sitting around from a previous batch. This is just good insurance to make sure they carbonate.

This has turned out to be a really good beer. After 5 1/2 weeks they are a little foamy on the pour but the beer itself doesn’t seem to be over carbed. No problem when opening and pouring carefully. They are not gushers but do you think they will get over carbed with age? If so, I’ll drink them now if not I’ll take my time. Planning my next batch of this beer.

THere is plenty of yeast in suspension at 6 weeks, no matter how flocculant