How do you dispose of spent grains?

This might help http://mspmag.com/best-of-the-twin-citi … oom-guide/ or try a couple of Google searches. Then try calling the breweries and ask what they do with their spent grain. Organic might narrow down the choices though. Good luck finding some.

As for my spent grain, at our last house I dumped them in the woods. Deer ate them in winter but only as a last resort. I summer they ignored them. Turkey also like them but again as a last resort.

Now there are no woods nearby I feel free to use so I have been bagging them up in “drum liner” size plastic bags and putting them out to the curb. As much as 50 to 60 pounds when it was dry so you can imagine how much and heavy that is. The first time the trash hauler would not take it so I called and politely told them it was not yard waste, it is food waste. After that they have been taking it. The six pack I left with the grain may have helped :lol:

We live on a fairly good size lake so I wonder if there is any harm in dumping some in?

Compost it. I make dog biscuits and bread too

They definitely make the best compost. In the winter my pile is mostly spent grains and coffee grounds. In the summer more vegetable waste. You wouldn’t believe the numbers of worms I can get out of that pile.
Darn- sucked in by another 2-year old zombie post… :blah:

I dump mine in the garden or on a pile, I’m not going to call it a compost pile cause I really never do anything except dump stuff on top.

A bit off topic but I have to comment on flytyer’s reference to “Sconnie”, I have spent all my 45 years (except for a 18 month sentence in Iowa) living in Wisconsin and never before have I heard it called Sconnie.