How do you dispose of spent grains?

My dog loves the biscuits, but they don’t take much.
Usually I take them to guys at work for their chickens. Good for free eggs.
Add some to the compost pile as needed.

No mice or other vermin? I’ve got mice sneaking around my garage if I even have a few husks out in the driveway. I now dump the mash cooler into a bucket until trash day and clean it in the house.

I dump mine in my pond.

I put all mine in the compost pile out in the woods, but this time of year the deer eat it all up. Since they recently banned feeding and baiting deer in my area, I now just dump it in the fenced in vegetable garden. When it’s time to plant the garden, I’ll then resort to dumping back on the compost pile in the woods. I have found the deer don’t bother it in the summer.
Never tried using it for making bread and that doesn’t even sound appealing to me.
I might have to give the dog biscuit recipe a try one of these day.
:cheers:

Compost, fool! Man I compost everything I can. I’m obsessed with it. It’s amazing to see how much compostable waste you can amass. We try to live a fairly organic lifestyle, as much as possible by growing a lot of our own food and finding local meat. We have two hungry little boys who eat like horses, and my wife is very committed to cooking wholesome foods from scratch, so we generate a lot of kitchen scraps. I eat like a KING! Organic vegetables are usually more expensive, and it’s just so much more satisfying to grow our own food. I’m lucky because I have summers off, and I can really devote myself to farming :smiley: Last summer, we went at least three weeks or so without really buying any food, which was pretty cool. I think I could extend that season quite a bit, with the right setup. Fresh produce from your own garden is amazing.

Good times, out in the garden. You just never can have too much compost. That stuff is magical. I even have a couple worm bins in my classroom, cranking out the really good stuff all winter long. That’s the black magic that I give to my hops!

Composting is work, but I guess I need the exercise, and this is good applied labor. I think a lot of people give up on composting, because there is kind of a science to it. It’s easy to end up with a stinky mess, but that’s where maybe composting is like another hobby. “Is my compost ruined?” There’s a ton of good information out there - do some surfing and see what you find.

Meanwhile, here’s a great little video about Worm Composting

. :cheers:

Brooklyn brew shop has this site for making spent grain flour. I just dried my first ever batch of spent grains to cook with.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/cat ... grainchef/

I also have a friend with chickens who trades it for eggs, and I compost into the garden.

Not my first batch of grains, my first time drying it to cook with.

+1 for composting

I give mine to a guy I work with, who feeds them to his chickens.

I tried to give them to my sister to feed her goats. Her husband didn’t think it was a good idea. :roll:

Compost or a fella that raise hogs.

Need to find a chicken rancher. :expressionless:

I do the same thing as BB. In the compost pile it goes, if an animal eats it, oh well.

I didn’t mean to get all high and mighty in my post there. I get kind of fired up about compost!

:cheers:

Sadly my turkeys seem to be stuck up. I never see them go after the spent grain but rather our bird feeder on our deck, so I throw out cracked corn for them.

[quote=“dsiets”]Sadly my turkeys seem to be stuck up. I never see them go after the spent grain but rather our bird feeder on our deck, so I throw out cracked corn for them.

[/quote]

They can get pretty tasty on cracked corn… :smiley:

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”]

They can get pretty tasty on cracked corn… :smiley: [/quote]

I hope they appreciate it because what started out as a group of 7 turned into a group of 20+ and I’m going through cracked corn like crazy.

As for hunting, I don’t have a shotty and the turkeys have informed me that my AR does not qualify because we are below the “rifle” line in Michigan, which separates itself from the more populated areas’ “shotgun only” designation. They have also informed that my pistols cannot be used because I have domiciles on 3 different sides w/in 100 yrds and a high school across the street.

So, it looks like I’m having farm raised bird again this coming Thanksgiving :frowning: , if the price of cracked corn doesn’t deplete me.

Edit: Looking on the bright side, this “occupy back yard” crowd is fertilizing my yard.

Nah. We’re content to coexist w/ them, for now. As long as they stay off the deck and roof. There’s nothing like a turkey on your roof, pecking at your upstairs bathroom window, possibly at it’s reflection. Or possibly because they have me trained to throw out corn.

I’m country as a truckload of pigs, I just dump mine in my garden.

My nephew got a warning from the police target shooting at a target towards his own garage with a back stop,hay bales, and a staionary target as a compound bow is now considered a firearm in most municipalities in Sconnie.

I have a small chicken farm, and I am looking for someone’s organic spent grains to augment my chickens’ food. Are there any organic brewers in the Twin Cities area who could help?

I made the mistake of dumping them in my sewer drain a few summers back and it smelled like a combination of stale Doritos and vomit for a few weeks until we finally got a heavy rain. With that in mind I highly advise against doing that.

Now I use a big scooper (like the kind for dog food) and scoop them into those large paper waste bags like the ones you would use for yard clippings. I throw it in my trash can and let nature do the rest. It still smells, but at least my garbage is collected weekly. I can say without a doubt in my mind that my garbage removal company hates me.