German Pils Tips

[quote=“rabeb25”]Hit me up on Facebook so I can get you added.

Thanks.[/quote]
I would, but I’m not on facebook. I’m one of those people.

Got a perfect day for brewing (even though I brew inside). It’s 66F, sunny, and breezy. Lovely fall day, even though we still have a month of summer left. Fall is my favorite time of year. I just want to put on a hoodie and drink oktoberfest beer.

You’re missing out man…

I here that, love the fall, and full bodied German beers.

Anywho… Where are these said advanced German brewers!!!

[quote=“rabeb25”]You’re missing out man…

Anywho… Where are these said advanced German brewers!!![/quote]
I think he only said “one of the posters…”, as in, one person. Might be Denny, who knows. It could be Kai, but I don’t think he brews with dry yeast. Too bad he doesn’t post anymore, really liked reading his posts.

Any advanced German Brewers in the house? Raise your hand.

I hear ya Beersk! Way ready for fall weather and the marzen I’ve been lagering since…well…March. Dipped under 90 here for a couple days but still definitely summer.

I didn’t know you were German Danny. I to have a marzen/Oktoberfest lagering since March. I believe it was your recipe that you posted on another thread. I tweeted the IBU a bit though

Actually D I just pulled the card and I substituted the Vienna for rye also.

Sounds interesting…and you know I’m not German :lol:

Rye in an oktoberfest? Interesting. That could be a nice unique twist on the style. “What a twist!”
Maybe I’ll put some flaked rye in mine. Brewing mine super late this year.

I like rye in some of my beer. I’ve heard that German Brewers wouldn’t like it in Oktoberfest though. But America is finally now making the best beer in the world. Imported German beer is loosing market share and they need to catch up. I’m not knocking German beer they do what they do very well but their stuck with their purity laws.

Yes, the reinheitsgebot law should be abolished, but I wouldn’t want it to change the beer I love from Germany. They’d probably start putting corn or rice in helles/premium beers. But I’m not sure the purity law really holds them back. It’s like saying Belgium needs to step up their game from brewing sours, lambics, tripels, quads, etc. I like how a country or region has a set of styles they excel at. The US does not excel at many of those styles, in my opinion. The US excels at IPA, barrel aged beers, light lagers…any others you can think of? A random sour here and there…
I love that Germany brews what they do, I don’t know how the people over their feel about it…probably about the same way I feel about American beer, except I’m sure I get way more variety than the average person in Germany. Variety doesn’t always mean I want to drink EVERYTHING, which is just my point. I tend to drink a handful of styles regularly, and change it up from there more occasionally.

And it’s cool how breweries overseas will be more focused on a certain style, it’s like The Alchemist brewery here, pretty much only brews one beer for the most part. That’s kinda neat, as narrow focused as it is.

It’s not a purity law, it’s a tax law. And AFAIK, fizzy yellow American beer is taking over Germany.

Sure APA, summer Ales, hoppy lagers(IPL). I wouldn’t want them to change their pils or bocks either. I think it’s more ale vs lager. Here we seem to brew more craft ales but I think that is changing, I seem to be seeing more and more lagers on the shelves. Pretty soon we will be going head to head. I think some of the most innovative Brewers are just getting started.

My nephew married a German woman and at their wedding the Germans were drinking bud and the am cans were drinking becks. Must have been the green bottles

Sorry guys, missed the email notification…

Did I say it was a forum of advanced German brewers? In any event, the forum is HBT and there is no advanced German subforum, it’s just like here: every now and then there’s a good thread with good info.

You didn’t say advanced German Brewers somebody else did but we had fun paying the telephone game. Never gets old :lol:

Yeah_although_i heard on this thread that Danny is an Advanced German Brewer! :wink:

Don’t know if you heard this episodehttp://nepenthiology.com/beer-se … rnational/. Go to around 17 min for a discussion on the German purity laws

That link doesn’t work for me… RHB is sorta comical to me. The breweries get around it in more way than you’d suspect. Chit malt, sauergut, water treatment PRIOR to brewing, zinc plumbing and dead yeast for nutrients, force carbonation via spunding or recycled CO2. Let us also not forget the decoction mashing is basically only done by a handful of hefe brewers now too…

For all you fall helles loving brewers, here’s yet another thing keeping me from brewing this weekend:

http://nepenthiology.com/beer-sessions- ... rnational/

Try this one