German Pils Tips

2042 was my go to for my pils/NGP and it works great. Nowadays the simplicity of 3470 is too good to pass up. Interesting results though dannyboy… Hmmm. I plan on 2 satchets no rehdration, low 50s pitch, fast ferment a la brewlosopher. My brewing days are getting VERY rare and I am lurking here trying to get motivation to push through…

My thoughts, in no particular order of course… No need to acidify sparge with all distilled, distilled water has no buffering power, so pH remains unchanged from mash. I am dead against any lactic acid any will rely on 4-5% acid malt, which is NOT pils malt sprayed with acid, but with sauergut. 60m boil is fine with anything but old school undermodifed malt. I plan to hopstand my next one which is on deck after a saison. Something like 40IBU, and 75% IBU from bittering. Personally, I think hallertau is too floral and will probably use tettnanger for hopstand and northern brewer for bitter. Malt bill something like 90/5/5 pils/flaked barley/acid malt with hochkurz step.

Zwiller, how come your brew days are getting more rare? Losing motivation? Too busy lately? That’s too bad either way.

I’ve got some WLP833 bock lager I need to get a step up starter going for a helles next weekend. Excited for that; that’s some good yeast.

The usual… Work, family, projects. I’ll get back at it soon. 833 is good stuff. Used on my last Ofest. Helles would be killer to brew now for fall. :cheers:

Well, that’s a bummer when we get so busy we can’t do the things we love. Hope you can get back to it as soon as ASAP 8)

Helles is good any time of the year I think. Looking forward to brewing an oktoberfest with it too, and about 5 other beers including an IPL and hoppy black lager (black IPA with lager yeast). Need to come up with a name for that…hoppy black lager works I think. Maybe that’ll keep the black IPA naysayers happy :roll:

I figure I will try to make a PIls this winter. Where do you get your brews to taste and tell the difference betwixt them? Maybe my palate is all hosed up from Hop monster brews. I can’t tell the difference from them and even the fresh ones from the breweries up here seem to all have the same taste…. Sneezles61 :roll:

That may be a thing. I’ll call it the Beer Advocate Syndrome. It’s like eating only excessively spiced food with lots of 500K+ Scoville unit chilies. After a while you sort of build up a resistance and anything less tastes bland.

I agree, I still enjoy an occasional IPA and I almost always have one on tap , because a lot of people ask for it. But I can’t say it is my favorite style anymore. I actually don’t have a favorite, they all have there place. Defenatly the IPA blows your taste buds. I always recommend to people doing a tasting is try the IPA last. I usually start with the lightest and work my way up it helps me recognize some taste I may otherwise miss

That may be a thing. I’ll call it the Beer Advocate Syndrome. It’s like eating only excessively spiced food with lots of 500K+ Scoville unit chilies. After a while you sort of build up a resistance and anything less tastes bland.[/quote]

Totally agree with the more is not definitely better sentiment. Really enjoy drinking and brewing more subtle styles of late. Same with abv. Haven’t gone to one of the big beer festivals in years as I burned out quickly on them…seemed to be about getting as much high abv beer as possible in the short time allotted for some attendees.

alright, the challenge is on… I’ll get away from the hop monsters and see ifn my palate will change… Sneezles61 :oops:

You will have to taper down from the IPA to enjoy a good pilsner. I got hooked doing construction work for this guy who always had a keg of pilsner urquel on tap for after work man was that good. You should be able to make some nice lagers up there in MN.

[quote=“zwiller”]2042 was my go to for my pils/NGP and it works great. Nowadays the simplicity of 3470 is too good to pass up. Interesting results though dannyboy… Hmmm. I plan on 2 satchets no rehdration, low 50s pitch, fast ferment a la brewlosopher. My brewing days are getting VERY rare and I am lurking here trying to get motivation to push through…

My thoughts, in no particular order of course… No need to acidify sparge with all distilled, distilled water has no buffering power, so pH remains unchanged from mash. I am dead against any lactic acid any will rely on 4-5% acid malt, which is NOT pils malt sprayed with acid, but with sauergut. 60m boil is fine with anything but old school undermodifed malt. I plan to hopstand my next one which is on deck after a saison. Something like 40IBU, and 75% IBU from bittering. Personally, I think hallertau is too floral and will probably use tettnanger for hopstand and northern brewer for bitter. Malt bill something like 90/5/5 pils/flaked barley/acid malt with hochkurz step.[/quote]

I will never brew a lager without rehydrating dry yeast again. My understanding is that you are basically cutting your cell count in half, and playing with fire in terms of unwanted esters. We brewed 14 gallons of a bo pils that tasted like apple juice (ethyl hexanoate if my too-lazy-to-google mind serves). We may have pitched on the low side to begin with (I believe only 5 sachets of dry 34/70 for 14 gallons), fermented at 50* for 10 days, then up to 65 for 10 days.

In fact, if we are going to fire up the big system, I am determined to use a repitch of lager yeast. Now I just need to make some time to brew a 5 gallon steam to grow yeast!

I started my series with 3 packs 34/70 hydrated in 5 gallons. Kept me supplied with lager yeast for five batches so far and still going.

I might’ve said it already in this thread, but for the price of dry yeast versus liquid, I’m only keeping my dry yeast as back ups now. I don’t mind making a starter, usually do 2 steps for lager yeast. I also get a better variety of yeast to choose from so…dry yeast really isn’t worth it for the convenience alone.

I ran my scenario and numbers on another forum and it was decided that 2 packets no rehydration is suffice for typical lagers. Truthfully, I could care less about the numbers as there is such a large debate relating to accuracy/cell count being affected by pitch temp/etc, but one of the posters I hold in high regard regularly uses the above protocol with 3470, so I trust him. That said, I acknowledge the warnings.

Where is this forum of high-end German brewers? I am interested.

Ouch

His name might be Brian Rabe. Some effin’ guy, who knows.

Maybe Bryan Rabe, but certainly not Brian Rabe :slight_smile: . But seriously it wasn’t a dig. I have put together Advanced German Brewing groups . I am looking for those types of people.

Oh you’re one of those Bryan’s, huh? :slight_smile: That’s cool, mang. I’m brewing a Munich helles tomorrow. Super stoked for that. Got a stepped up starter of WLP838 crashing now. Gonna be about 85% Best Malz pils, 12% Best malz Vienna, and 3% acid malt. Mittelfruh to about 21IBU.
Realized it’s been 5 months since I last brewed a helles. That’s just too long.

Hit me up on Facebook so I can get you added.

Thanks.