German Pils Tips

We were planning on 90% weyermann pils, 8% melanoidin, 2% acid to about 1.055 OG, 100% distilled h20 with CaCl (not sure of PPM yet), lactic to acidify sparge, 34/70 fermented at 50*

Questions:
-Hallertauer, Mittlefruh, or Tett? I’m thinking it should have a little more bite/lingering hop bitterness than a bo pils, so maybe 45 IBU, about 15-20 max from bittering? Hopping schedules appreciated.
-any other water tips?
-How does the grain bill look generally?

I generally like Radeberger, Warsteiner (cans or draft) more so than Bitburger (also cans or draft), maybe that could serve as a reference point for what we would like to brew.

Use the boiled Jever profile in Bru’nwater. Works great for G. pils

My last G. pils used that profile. Grist was 10 lb. Best pils, 1 lb. Best Munich II. All Hallertauer to about 53 IBU. Wy2124.

My most recent pils. Drinking it now after a couple monthes lagering on gas. Best Pils I’ve ever made. Of course it’s only the third. Shooting for an Urguell type pils so mashed at 152 and went all Czech Saaz. First batch bittered to 20, second to 23, this one 25. I like it best of the three.

9 lbs Avangard Best Malz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 97.8 %
2.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 2 1.4 %
1.3 oz Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM Grain 3 0.9 %
1.75 oz Saaz [3.60 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 4 25.1 IBUs
1.10 oz Saaz [3.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 11.6 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.04 oz Saaz [2.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 3.5 IBUs
0.22 oz Saaz [3.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.1 IBUs
2.0 pkg Urquell Lager (Wyeast Labs #2001) [124.2 Yeast 9 -

The last pils I did was 100% Bestmalt pilsner and 35 IBUs mittelfruh fermented with S-34/70: yummy.

[quote=“Pietro”]We were planning on 90% weyermann pils, 8% melanoidin, 2% acid to about 1.055 OG, 100% distilled h20 with CaCl (not sure of PPM yet), lactic to acidify sparge, 34/70 fermented at 50*

Questions:
-Hallertauer, Mittlefruh, or Tett? I’m thinking it should have a little more bite/lingering hop bitterness than a bo pils, so maybe 45 IBU, about 15-20 max from bittering? Hopping schedules appreciated.
-any other water tips?
-How does the grain bill look generally?

I generally like Radeberger, Warsteiner (cans or draft) more so than Bitburger (also cans or draft), maybe that could serve as a reference point for what we would like to brew.[/quote]

For the grain I’d go with up to 100% pilsner malt although about 5% CaraHell or CaraFoam is my usual choice. You can also use a portion of chit malt (5-10%) if you can find it or just sub flaked barley if not. Chit malt/flaked barley adds a grainy touch that Warsteiner seems to have.

The hop IBUs would be less than a Czech pils and I’d shoot for high 20s to mid 30s depending on your taste. There is a little more malt richness/sweetness in the Czech compared to the German that probably camouflages the hops a bit. Also the Czech yeasts in general aren’t quite as dry as the German strains. The hop schedule here should be fairly simple. For what it’s worth my preference is one @ long boil and a second @ the last 20/30 minutes. Hop aroma should be noticeable but not as high as a Czech version. Choose a hop type from the German list that you prefer. I like Spalter for flavor but anything in the Hallertauer/Tettnager group works fine. You can use a higher alpha hop to mix in with the bittering addition if desired. German Northern Brewer and Magnum work particularly well IMO.

Funny, that was my last pils also; only difference is I used Viking pilsner malt and I added about 1/2 an ounce of the mittelfruh at 20 minutes. Came out very good, though could have used a bit more bitterness.

I think 20 IBU is to low. I’m only on my second pills the first was 35 IBU the one im onto now is 45 IBU. I’m with denny , next one will be 55. Mittlfrue and saaz IMO. I don’t play with my water so I never had luck the two times I brewed straight pilsner malt. Kind of bland.

Funny, that was my last pils also; only difference is I used Viking pilsner malt and I added about 1/2 an ounce of the mittelfruh at 20 minutes. Came out very good, though could have used a bit more bitterness.[/quote]

For a three gallon batch I did 1/3 oz. to FWH, 1/4 oz. for 60 minutes, 5/8 oz. for 45 minutes, 2/3 oz. for 6 minutes, and the last 1/8 oz. that I had was steeped.

[quote=“Denny”]Use the boiled Jever profile in Bru’nwater. Works great for G. pils

My last G. pils used that profile. Grist was 10 lb. Best pils, 1 lb. Best Munich II. All Hallertauer to about 53 IBU. Wy2124.[/quote]
Did you boil for 60 or 90 minutes?

As for acidifying the sparge, I doubt that’s necessary with distilled water.

Talked about this over in Fort Worth not too long ago.

Unfortunately, the keg blew two weeks ago. So sad, so so sad.

http://www.capandhare.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6448

[quote=“brewingdan”]Talked about this over in Fort Worth not too long ago.

http://www.capandhare.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6448[/quote]

Good looking pils! 60 or 90 minute boil? final IBU?

[quote=“Beersk”]

As for acidifying the sparge, I doubt that’s necessary with distilled water.[/quote]

Oh, I thought that using distilled would make it more necessary. Is pH already low enough on distilled?

[quote=“Voodoo donut”][quote=“brewingdan”]Talked about this over in Fort Worth not too long ago.

http://www.capandhare.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6448[/quote]

Good looking pils! 60 or 90 minute boil? final IBU?[/quote]

90 min boil

Ibu were only 26. Unless you’re shooting for the northern German pils, ibu levels are around this range nowadays.

I toured Jever last year and even fresh, all I tasted was bitterness. No hop aroma, just bitter.

My favorite German Pils come from central Germany.

Has anyone explored/experimented with actual hopping schedule? I see a lot of debate re: FWH/no FWH, and whether aroma/flavor additions are needed.

IBU’s are one thing, but how you get to them (via late additions, FWH or early additions) are another.

Great reply from BryanH, thanks.

34/70 is German, right (Weihenstephaner)?

Is 90-minute boil still necessary, or has SMM been reduced in modern malts? I’m skeptical as to how much caramelization can occur in a kettle with 25 gallons of wort.

I’m also generally skeptical of boiling hops for 90 minutes. Or is that part of the character of these beers?

Last question: I think most yeasts perform better on a repitch. Is this true of 34/70? I was going to brew a 5 gallon steam beer with it, primarily to grow up a big pitch for a 1/2 bbl of pils. Or would we be just as well to pitch dry sachets of 34/70 (rehydrated…not making that mistake on a lager again)?

recently used 34/70 for the first time. My experience and forum advice is here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=125664

WAY too low. About half what it should be.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“Denny”]Use the boiled Jever profile in Bru’nwater. Works great for G. pils

My last G. pils used that profile. Grist was 10 lb. Best pils, 1 lb. Best Munich II. All Hallertauer to about 53 IBU. Wy2124.[/quote]
Did you boil for 60 or 90 minutes?

As for acidifying the sparge, I doubt that’s necessary with distilled water.[/quote]

Maybe 70-75. I wait for the hot break to disperse, than start boil/hop timing. Haven’t found any need for a 90 min. boil.

I’ve got a helles finishing up on WY2042 (Danish). You all think that would be within reason for appropriate yeast for the G. Pils style??

The 2042 will be fine. It’s more appropriate for a German pils than a Helles IMO. I’m sure the Helles will be good but for the next one try one of the Southern German/Munich yeast strains and see what you think.

I bet that beer will be mighty fine with the Danish yeast. Helles can range from really rounded and malty to crisp and malty with a light hop presence…so, in my opinion, you can use just about any lager yeast and get a nice beer.