Do you drink local?

[quote=“wallybeer”]
One brewery that stands out is Devils Backbone in Virginia. Very good IPA’s and their Sour is freakin awesome, at $11 an 8oz. glass it was worth every penny.[/quote]

I wish I could have tried their beer at the brewery, as I stayed in a hotel right up the road a while back. They were closed, but I walked around the entire brewery. I did get to try one at a local pizza place there.

Local Sleeping Giant Brewery In town makes very delicious stuff. Other then that I try to drink as many Canadian Microbrews as possible. I also enjoy Minnesota and Wisconsin made brews (both states are very close)

I live in the Minneapolis metro, so heck yeah.
Some of the local beers around here are amazing, I would even say some of them are the best in the world.
Surly, Steel Toe, Indeed, Fulton, Summit and some others I am missing…
Right now I am enjoying bottle of CrossCut and my wife is having a Farm Girl Saison both from Lift Bridge Brewing in Stillwater, MN.
Across into Wisconsin I can get New Glarus and Tyranena.

I enjoy beers from all over but when I have such a good selection of local beers it is hard to not “drink local”

Man, just heard another craft brew is coming to Asheville, NC! And, two more brew pubs opened since my last posting. Gotta give 'em a try. We seem to have a pretty good local scene in this area.

Last I checked there are 165 breweries in Oregon. 51 of which are in portland, more than any city in the world.

Oregon has approximately 3.8 million residence, with 165 breweries, 1 brewery for every 23,465 people. On top of that, 15% of our beer sales are craft beer

:shock: Had to brag a little

:cheers:

edit: http://oregonbeer.org/facts/

Yeah, I’ve heard Oregon is becoming a Beer Mecca. There is more to the state than just beavers and ducks! What is some of the favored beers from there?

OR is amazing! I stayed at McMenamin’s Edgefield and was blown away. I’d live there if I could!!!

Back to local, a nearby brewery/distillery just released a chava rum. Pricy, but seems good. I don’t know enough about hard liquors to be a good judge.

My favorite brewery’s right now are: Pelican, Laurelwood, and Hopworks

Deschutes, Full Sail, and Rogue are the easiest to find out of state

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]
Oregon has approximately 3.8 million residence, with 165 breweries, 1 brewery for every 23,465 people. On top of that, 15% of our beer sales are craft beer[/quote]
So even with 165 breweries and counting, 85% of our residents choose to drink BMC! I’m almost embarrassed of that #. No reason not to drink local here…

[quote=“Scrumpy”][quote=“S.Scoggin”]
Oregon has approximately 3.8 million residence, with 165 breweries, 1 brewery for every 23,465 people. On top of that, 15% of our beer sales are craft beer[/quote]
So even with 165 breweries and counting, 85% of our residents choose to drink BMC! I’m almost embarrassed of that #. No reason not to drink local here…[/quote]

True, but 15% is A LOT compared to other states

Ok, so I have to tell you. I’ve been drinking this local (Greensboro, NC) beer for a few months now. And, I’m perfectly fine with telling you how tasty it is. It’s called Southern Pale Ale, by Natty Greenes. I don’t know what they are doing there, and I’m not affiliated with them in any way. I just simply love this beer. I’m not a beer judge, nor do I really know anything about explaining beers so don’t expect that here. What I can tell you is that it’s crisp, clean, and has a nice hop note to it. The smell and flavors produce a perfect piney-ness. A really good beer. One that I’ve tried twice to replicate. No dice! Can’t get anywhere near it. If you are in the area, you gotta try one. It was my first IPA ever (I was always a pislner guy). Tried one by accident, after a guy I was speaking with at the local supermarket was looking for the brand. I guess I’ve gone through 30 or 40 six-packs since November. Highly recommended by someone who knows little about judging a beer, but knows real beer when he trys one!

[/quote]Ok, so I have to tell you. I’ve been drinking this local (Greensboro, NC) beer for a few months now. And, I’m perfectly fine with telling you how tasty it is. It’s called Southern Pale Ale, by Natty Greenes. I don’t know what they are doing there, and I’m not affiliated with them in any way. I just simply love this beer. I’m not a beer judge, nor do I really know anything about explaining beers so don’t expect that here. What I can tell you is that it’s crisp, clean, and has a nice hop note to it. The smell and flavors produce a perfect piney-ness. A really good beer. One that I’ve tried twice to replicate. No dice! Can’t get anywhere near it. If you are in the area, you gotta try one. It was my first IPA ever (I was always a pislner guy). Tried one by accident, after a guy I was speaking with at the local supermarket was looking for the brand. I guess I’ve gone through 30 or 40 six-packs since November. Highly recommended by someone who knows little about judging a beer, but knows real beer when he trys one[quote]
There is a huge buzz around here about the local beer scene in NC, mostly Ashville beers. You are not alone in your thinking. I can’t wait to get out there!!

[quote=“Scrumpy”][/quote]Ok, so I have to tell you. I’ve been drinking this local (Greensboro, NC) beer for a few months now. And, I’m perfectly fine with telling you how tasty it is. It’s called Southern Pale Ale, by Natty Greenes. I don’t know what they are doing there, and I’m not affiliated with them in any way. I just simply love this beer. I’m not a beer judge, nor do I really know anything about explaining beers so don’t expect that here. What I can tell you is that it’s crisp, clean, and has a nice hop note to it. The smell and flavors produce a perfect piney-ness. A really good beer. One that I’ve tried twice to replicate. No dice! Can’t get anywhere near it. If you are in the area, you gotta try one. It was my first IPA ever (I was always a pislner guy). Tried one by accident, after a guy I was speaking with at the local supermarket was looking for the brand. I guess I’ve gone through 30 or 40 six-packs since November. Highly recommended by someone who knows little about judging a beer, but knows real beer when he trys one[quote]
There is a huge buzz around here about the local beer scene in NC, mostly Ashville beers. You are not alone in your thinking. I can’t wait to get out there!![/quote]
We hear the same about Oregon. I gotta get up there. Been wanting to head up to Astoria anyway for a visit (I and my children are Goonies fans). But, that’s a long, long drive!

I try to drink local whenever I can find some worth drinking. But life is to short to drink bad beer.

Becoming? :shock:
It’s been for a long! time.

Becoming? :shock:
It’s been for a long! time.[/quote]

:cheers:

Vancouver WA has some great breweries as well

Minnesota craft beers, August Schell, Summit, Surly, and Granite City.

Once in a while I opt for a Wisconsin craft beer, like Unforgiven.

Yep, the craft brew scene is even growing in Iowa! Okoboji Brewing, Peace Tree Brewing, Toppling Goliath, Madhouse and Olde Main are some outside Des Moines Metro that distribute and sell retail. In Des Moines we have a few that are taprooms only like Confluence and 515, along with brewpubs like Exile, Court Ave, Number 7, and Raccoon River. I like giving the local guys my business as long as they are producing good beer!

Okoboji… love that name!

Living in the Twin Cities gives me a pretty good plethora of local and semi local beer choices. However I don’t gravitate to a local company unless they have damn good beer. I’m more interested in great beer than welfare for a brewery with bad beer. Now when I go out I do try to try new local beers if they are available. If I like them or someone suggests I try a brewery I will do so.