Do you drink local?

We have a contract brewer in the area, Wooden Shoe, who is trying to revive a brewery that fell apart during WW2… there beer is made in Columbus,OH by Elevator Brewing. It is awful and full of flaws, including production line problems such as flat bottles and underfilled bottles. How can you justify $9.99/six pack with THOSE kind of issues???

[quote=“cgbruise”][quote=“bunderbunder”]

We have a contract brewer in the area, Wooden Shoe, who is trying to revive a brewery that fell apart during WW2… there beer is made in Columbus,OH by Elevator Brewing. It is awful and full of flaws, including production line problems such as flat bottles and underfilled bottles. How can you justify $9.99/six pack with THOSE kind of issues???[/quote][/quote]

Definitely unacceptable.

I fully accept that I might be lucky/spoiled. We have a few opening up, so time will tell.

I’m sipping an 11th Hour IPA from Crow Peak right now. on of my old locals.

Drinking local, Vermont style (attached).

yes.

Had a local over the weekend, at a hockey game in Ft.Wayne,IN. From Mad Anthony Brewery(Mad Anthony Wayne, the fort was named after him) the beer was 'Ol Woody Pale Ale. Paid $5.50 for a 12oz. bottle!!!OMG, it had sediment from husk, I believe… wasn’t yeast, and it wasn’t a bottle conditioned beer. It was through and through the entire bottle.

BS… :evil:

[quote=“cgbruise”]Had a local over the weekend, at a hockey game in Ft.Wayne,IN. From Mad Anthony Brewery(Mad Anthony Wayne, the fort was named after him) the beer was 'Ol Woody Pale Ale. Paid $5.50 for a 12oz. bottle!!!OMG, it had sediment from husk, I believe… wasn’t yeast, and it wasn’t a bottle conditioned beer. It was through and through the entire bottle.
BS… :evil: [/quote]

That sounds like a disaster. There are some really great small breweries in the world, but unfortunately a few heinously crappy ones as well.
I guess you found one of the latter.
:frowning:

I have noticed it seems to be getting easier and easier to drink locally as most restaurants have local beers on tap. I always go for the Mom and pop Food places so adding a local beer to it also feels good.

I’ve also enjoyed a few pints at the Harriet Brewing Tap room. Fresh Pint brewed on premises and some live music? yes please.

Fortunately for me, I live in the Asheville, NC area. It has become a major player in craft beers lately. So, yes I drink local brews. Although I have had some trouble finding nice local pumpkin beers when the season warrants.

With Surly, Summit, and a number of new breweries coming on the scene in the Twin Cities, it’s hard not too. I’m really excited what the future holds for the beer scene here. Every year the Brewer’s Guild is growing and I’m liking what I’m tasting. I’m hoping I can get tickets for Winterfest and get the best the MN has to offer.

However, I’ll never stop there. There is too much good beer to ignore something just based on it’s location.

I drink very local - the beer in my keg frig. I also try and drink the local micro brewers, Tighthead and Lake Bluff Brewing Company in IL.

When I travel, I really enjoy trying new local brews.

Two Brothers just came out with a new beer call Revelry. Its amazing.

Where is Two Brothers from? Located?

Where is Two Brothers from? Located?[/quote]
Warrenville, IL - west Chicago suburbs.

Their Domaine DuPage is another great beer.

Warrenville Il outside of chicago. Cane and Ebel, Heavy Handed, Domaine Dupage all are fantastic beers. And they sell homebrewing supplies and good food. If you are in the area its worth a trip.

Warrenville Il outside of chicago. Cane and Ebel, Heavy Handed, Domaine Dupage all are fantastic beers. And they sell homebrewing supplies and good food. If you are in the area its worth a trip.[/quote]
Appreciate that. I don’t get up the “Is It Really Windy” city very often, but when I do, I’ll keep them in mind.

Their Galaxy IIPA is amazing! I drink lots of local craft beer and lots of non local craft beer. If it’s great beer, I drink it :smiley:

Their Galaxy IIPA is amazing! I drink lots of local craft beer and lots of non local craft beer. If it’s great beer, I drink it :smiley: [/quote]
I’m with you, Lynux. Living near Asheville, NC has certain advantages for me. Seems like there is a micro-brewery popping up every week. Keep us posted on that Lambic brew.

I request local anytime I’m traveling. I do like the idea of regional only micro brews not distributed beyond a certain city, county, or state. Largish micro might limit itself to the tri-state region of the brewery. That way i can look forward to a certain beer next time I pass through.

I always do this when I travel. It can be hit or miss sometimes but I think for every miss the hits are worth it.
One brewery that stands out is Devils Backbone in Virginia. Very good IPA’s and their Sour is freakin awesome, at $11 an 8oz. glass it was worth every penny.