Do you drink local?

Perhaps I’m lucky. I’m quite happy with most of the local/regional beers and I often get them or stock up when they’re on sale. Got my case of Boulevard Oktoberfest for $22.50 or something at Costo. I’ve been able to get my favorite or alternate for $5.99-6.99 sometimes.

Southern Tier is my local so yes.

[quote=“Edward Teach”][quote=“s2y”]Gotcha.

BTW, if you’re bored, check out the hilariously bad song, Okoboji Girl. I’ve been trying to make it viral since it’s THAT bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35LenhOXGvw[/quote]

I made it halfway through. it reminded me of high school for some reason. :lol: [/quote]

I was about to click off, until the guitar solo. It was like Jimi reincarnated in the body of a middle age accountant. Bad ass!

[quote=“WillyK”]Southern Tier is my local so yes.[/quote] Good stuff brewing in Western N.Y. , Craft brew and my Homebrew.

I work at a local brewery in st Paul, so yes I drink local. :mrgreen:

[quote=“mrv”]
I was about to click off, until the guitar solo. It was like Jimi reincarnated in the body of a middle age accountant. Bad ass![/quote]

Everything about it is awful. Part of me wonders if some of it was intentional since the bassist was missing a string n’ stuff. I once joked that this was my band on a guitar forum. Guitarists only have a sense of humor when they’re the ones dishing it out.

Has anyone noticed that you get more comments from the person at the liquor store when you are buying a local brew?

I regularly get asked if a local brew is good or if I’ve had it before. I’ve even had a few cahiers tell me “that is some really good stuff”

I don’t think I ever get that when I’m buying anything else.

Nope not really.

Not that I don’t wan’t to it is just that the local brews are muchmore costly than the others more distantly brewed. That just offends me so I don’t buy allot of the local brews. I am sorry but I just am not paying more for a beer produced in my own hometown. If they can’t at least come close in cost they loose. It isn’t that I am a cheepo beer drinker either (my favorite and always in the grocery basket if I am outta my house version is Old Rasputin). I just is an “issue” i suppose for me. I will drink them when out and about at bars happily because in these venues suddenly they are either cheaper or the same price as more known craft brews. They are great beers but something in the distribution is screwed if it cost me the same price to pick up a “Straight to Ale” beer in Huntsville AL, as it does in Seattle.

Barry

Yes, absolutely. I do my fair share to keep Boulevard and Free State in business–although much less than I did before I started homebrewing.

When I’m out at a restaurant, I will normally look first to see if there’s anything interesting I have not had before. If nothing intriguing, I’ll usually default to a Boulevard, Free State or a Tall Grass.

When I travel, I go out of my way to find restaurants that have a nice selection of local/regional beers that I can’t get at home.

I like to consider Boulevard a neighbor. Still working on my case of Bob’s 47 courtesy of Costco. Might get a case of New Belgium’s fall/winter sampler case when that’s done.

I live in Ohio, and I try to support Great Lakes when possible… love their Dortmunder and Elliot Ness. They recently came out with The Wright Pils, a tribute to the Wright Brothers of Dayton Ohio :cheers:

I won’t drink local just for the sake of drinking local. I’ll drink local if the beer is good.
There are a growing number of ‘local’ breweries in NJ where I live, but very few of the packaging breweries are making anything particularly compelling or worth the sometimes high prices which are often not commensurate with the quality of the product.

THE SHIP INN in Milford, however, is one place that makes a great case for ‘local’ beer…some really great brews are still being made there, in NJ’s oldest brewpub.

[quote=“The Professor”]I won’t drink local just for the sake of drinking local. I’ll drink local if the beer is good.
[/quote]

Are mediocre local beers problematic in some of your areas?

Other than an improperly sealed bottle of beer from a local brewery, I haven’t had any bad local beers. There is a local brewery that sells high end 750ml bottles and I don’t buy them any more because they seem to like to put bret in all of the bottles, but not on tap. On tap and sans bret, I really liked them.

That seemed to be the case where I was living this summer. I made an effort to give them all a chance, but a couple times I seriously considered stopping before I had made it through the first 12 ounces.

(edit: Others were quite good. Especially this one cider.)

[quote=“bunderbunder”]
That seemed to be the case where I was living this summer. I made an effort to give them all a chance, but a couple times I seriously considered stopping before I had made it through the first 12 ounces.

(edit: Others were quite good. Especially this one cider.)[/quote]

Gotcha. I figured Omaha was on the small side of things and most others in reasonably sized cities should have good breweries. Lately, there seems to have been an explosion in start-up breweries and another distillery. So far, I’ve liked just about everything in town and the beers of MO, IA, and CO.

Lucky Bucket and Empyrian both have a great Oktoberfests and IPAs. Since they’re good and reasonably priced compared to their “competition”, I don’t see a whole lot of reason to not support local.

Right there. We have a few newer breweries around Salem, OR. I’ve tried some bottles and found them flat, or harshly bitter. However, the kegged versions at beer festivals were much better. I like to support local business, if it’s a quality product. Excellent beers brewed within 60 miles or less are easy to find.

bout the only local brewery is 200 miles away, bluegrass brewing company, it is very good place been to brew pub once very tasty beer. like there bourbon barrel stout, nut brown, dark star proter, and the thing. they dont seem to there stuff far from the guidleines except on there specialty brews. havent tried a whole lot of there offerings but so far good stuff

a breweryopening in TN close I have to try out, two craft moonshine distilerries close i have to try also

Almost all the beer I drink is from WI or MN. I’m a huge fan of New Glarus and luckly I live only 15 minutes from the WI/MN border (I now live in Duluth) so I can still buy it. But since moving to Duluth I’ve started drinking more Summit and I love Fitger’s Brewhouse. There also is a new brewpub opening here called Canal Park Brewery that I hope will be good too!

Great Lakes is one of my top three American brewers, but their products are not available to me locally. When I fly east, I connect through Cleveland and schedule a long layover so I can hang out at their bar in the airport for a few hours and take a couple sixers home with me.

Also - their restaurant across from the brewery is very much worth a visit.

I buy local!

But then again MI makes this choice easy with Founder’s, Bell’s, Brewery Vevant, Tri City, etc. I found out there is real beer out there by picking up a 6’r of Bass 10 yrs or so ago, then Sam Adam’s & Lennie’s, now it’s all Mi made.

Well except Bad Ass Beer, that beer is just bad ass’d bad…ptua, blah, uhk! :mrgreen: