$75 grain mill kits

Started to post this a couple few times but don’t think I ever have yet.

I am going to build my own grain mill. I have a lathe, milling machine, and tons of other tools and stuff, and I like to build stuff! If anyone wants a custom built grain mill I should be able to build and sell them for around $75 more or less depending on size wanted.

The only thing that really effects the size of a mill is the length of the rollers, all other parts are still the same.
I have seen grain mills now with only 4" long rollers starting at $85, and I don’t think that even includes the crank handle either. I have seen grain mills up to 10" long rollers for much more, and simple 6" roller mills for about $150 and up

All the ones I been looking at are expensive and nothing but the milling part itself, base and hopper costs extra as well as a crank handle if wanted. I guess they figure most people would end up using a power drill to run the mills anyway.

SO,
I figure I can build a better mouse trap, err… grain mill, for less money.
1/2" thick aluminum end blocks with all the mounting holes drilled and tapped, bronze or brass bushings, 6" long 1.5" knurled steel rollers, Harden the rollers (others charge allot extra for hardened rollers), 1 roller adjustable to set the gap. Heck I may even toss in a cast aluminum or forged steel crank handle too ( I been wanting to get back into casting and blacksmithing some again also)

I figure about $75 should cover a grain mill kit for the actual mill part, you mount as you want and add your hopper.
If shorter rollers (like 4") is wanted no problem and same price, if longer rollers than 6" are wanted add $4 per inch for the set ( 8" long rollers would then be 2" longer so $8 extra, 12" rollers would be $24 extra)

I can also make fatter rollers lol, 1.75" or 2" dia. if wanted though I’d have to figure extra cost for the steel and change the end plates to fit larger dia. rollers, probably about $10 and $20 extra for larger dia. 6" long rollers and about $5 or $6 per inch, for the set, over 6" if longer are also wanted.

I won’t be building any till sometime in Jan. since I been tied up with Holiday stuff and Christmas and New Years on the way fast.
Just thought I’d toss it out for thoughts now and see if any interest in custom made mills.

I will be building at least 2 for myself as I have an idea that may make the rollers better than just knurled. I have a knurl tool on hand already.

I might be interested in one.
I would certainly be interested in long rollers.

Food for thought: what about a design which does a double crush?
What would that need to be, 4 or maybe 5 rollers?

I hear many talking about having to run the grain thru twice…

I currently use a millplate style Kitchenaid motored.

A double crush is a 3 roller from what I have seen and only seen 2 of those so far.
2 top rollers are set to a certain permanent gap like .040 and the 3rd roller is centered under those 2 and is the adjustable one. Only 1 top roller is driven and the other 2 only turn by the friction of the grain passing through.

I would maybe build a 4 roller with the 2 left rollers, top and bottom, powdered together with the crank or drill. Power top roller and drive the bottom from the top. Make both right rollers adjustable.
That would cost nearly twice as much as a similar 2 roller mill though as it would be twice as big with 2x as many rollers, bushings and adjusters. I’d guess about the price as being near same as the 3 roller type mills.
I think 4 rollers would have may advantages and one being only 1/2 the wear on the top left roller compared to only a 3 roller design. The 3 roller design that first roller mashes the grain 2x. Once to mash a bit flat then second time to actually crush to final gap size.

If I build the 4 roller I have a neat unique design in mind for the roller drives.

I already have a mill, but I might be interested in working a deal on a custom brew setup at some point in the future. I’m in Columbia. Where is Thayer?

South of West Plains MO, right on the MO/AR. state line.
Almost but not quite straight south of Columbia 220 miles.

On HY 63 LOL

Wobbles, I am very interested in this. Lets keep in touch after the holidays.
Steve

After New Years will be fine since I won’t be building any till after that anyway.

[quote=“Wobbles”]South of West Plains MO, right on the MO/AR. state line.

On HY 63 LOL[/quote]
Yeah, I know West Plains. Ozark County, right? I’ve camped the Devil’s Backbone area a few times. Awesome area - the North Fork is an underrated float stream, IMO. You could lager a batch in Blue Spring.

[quote=“midmobrwr”][quote=“Wobbles”]South of West Plains MO, right on the MO/AR. state line.

On HY 63 LOL[/quote]
Yeah, I know West Plains. Ozark County, right? [/quote]
West Plains is located in Howell County, Thayer is located in Oregon County.

Yep, and the crappy grid power co-op is Howell/Oregon LOL

I’ve got the lathe cleaned up now and turned a small piece out last night just to do something.

Let me know if ya’ll are interested in a grain mill.
I’ll build one or two for me and some for those wanting them. Then I am going to go into steam engine mode and build a few working steam engine models. These steam engines are neat as they will run on about 10psi of compressed air if people just want them to work to look at, but I run them on steam and I can make a fair amount of power while I heat the house with the wood burner.
I sold off my last models so plan to build myself some more and keep them this time! May build a few extras to sell also as people wanted them!

I’m interested, and would like to see a finished product first…I presently have no grain mill, and I look for one to be a future acquisition!

I too would be interested as would several members of the 2 clubs I belong to. Please let me know what you come up with.

Since I will be building these grain mills from scratch any suggestions of what people want or how to make a better mill are welcome.

One of the first things I see I think I will do different is use 1/2" dia. 1/2" long food grade oil impregnated bronze bushing/bearings. I don’t really see any need to use only a 3/8" like others do when working with a 1.5" or larger solid steel roller.

Although I may decide otherwise later, I am thinking I will make the crank handle shaft also 1/2" dia and cut a keyway into the shaft, this should make it easy for anyone wanting to mount a pulley for a motor drive. I will probably then cut the tip of the shaft down to fit a 3/8" drill to make it easy for those wanting to power with a drill.

I have a couple thoughts still on the shaft though.
First is what is most available best pulley size for the user to find if wanted. I’ll take a look at the store and see what I find.

How far do people want the shaft to extend out the side of the mill? Shorter is better as it puts less stress on the bearing and less flex or wobble if putting some torque against it like running a pulley with a tight belt.
I am thinking about 3" perhaps?
The shaft of course needs to clear whatever the mill is mounted to rather a bucket top or old printer stand with a bucket or ice chest under it.

For my personal mill I plan to build a stand from an old junk desk and drive the mill with motor and pulleys from a junk washing machine set up as variable speed. When I mill the grain just have it dump into an ice chest below.

I’m interested in your ideas for a 4 roller mill.

I’m interested too.

I’m digging all your thoughts above!

I found a cheap trailer house I am having delivered sometime early Jan.
It’s going to make a great workshop once I get all my tools setup in it.

I’ll be putting the machine shop off in one end of it which will make building grain mills and other items much easier and more organized than doing a few separate processes at different locations as I do now.

I’m down till after New years now, then maybe a few days or a week to get trailer moved in and things setup enough to work in.

[quote=“Wobbles”]I found a cheap trailer house I am having delivered sometime early Jan.
It’s going to make a great workshop once I get all my tools setup in it.

I’ll be putting the machine shop off in one end of it which will make building grain mills and other items much easier and more organized than doing a few separate processes at different locations as I do now.

I’m down till after New years now, then maybe a few days or a week to get trailer moved in and things setup enough to work in.[/quote]

Let us know when you are set-up and working.

This sounds awesome and I would love to support some good old fashioned American do it ourselves brewing karma! Definitely keep us posted!!!

Well I’m back home now.
Was a nice vacation and visit at daughters but way too long since I have so much work to do around the house right now.

Started trying to make a place for the trailer yesterday.