Yeungling

I live in California and have been unable to find Yeungling’s. I heard this is a great beer and would love to try it. Is anyone willing to send me a couple of bottles in exchange for some California microbrews? Perhaps something you cant find where you live. There are tons of great beers here and i can suggest something new if your interested. Send me a PM if interested!

I’m of the opinion that Yeungling is only good off the tap. Out of the bottle is just average.

Well thats good to know. Some beers i only drink on draft (SN Rye IPA) but i would still like to try it given the fact i cant find it anywhere on tap or in bottle unless i get on a plane.

Go buy a can of PBR it’s the same thing over hyped

I was also at one time obsessed to try it after a trip to Georgia and bought a couple sixers and tried it I’m not obsessed any more I was very disappointed maybe it’s better on tap it has to be.

I have tried Yuengling a few times when visiting Florida. Orignially I loved their black and tan but the last time I tried it I found it kind of bland. This is likely due to my tastes changing and my quest for beers which push the envelope of style guidelines. For America’s oldest brewery, Yuengling is still a good brewery but they take a more traditional approach to beer styles. If you like more craft beers, you may not find Yuengling to be very impressive.

Now when I go to Florida, I typically will stock up on Dogfish Head beers and bring some back to Minnesota in my suitcase.

Just my two-cents…

its a good average beer, nothing to seek out though.

The reason its popular is because its a step up from bud,miller,coors but its priced pretty cheap

• 1 on the dogfish head. I had resisted it because of the price, but man its a pretty good bear. I like their 60 min IPA.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and love Yuengling, although not necessarily because of its high quality. It’s true, most of the appeal is that it is descent but still cheap. Growing up, you could drop twenty bucks and bring a case to a party and make everybody’s night.

I remember one time, when I was yet of age, a friend visiting from out of town (and unfamiliar with Yuengling) offered to buy us beer. I dropped her at a distributor (which is where you buy beer in PA) and she came back ten minutes later, after getting laughed out trying to order “ling-ling” beer. Still cracks me up.

Plus, part of the appeal, is that the brewery is the longest continually operating brewery in the US.

If you’re a PAer, it’s just part of the culture. It just sits perfectly with a Stillers or a Buccos or a Pens game (which is how I’m spending my evening right now!).

Definitely worth picking up if you see it, but don’t expect a revelation.

I have always (for 40+ years) particularly liked Yuengling’s specialty beers…particularly their Lord Chesterfield Ale and Pottsville Porter. None of them are as “in your face” as some so called “craft” beers tend to be but they are very fine efforts. (And yes, I also like “in your face” beers, too. But they get boring.)

Their flagship “traditional” amber beer may not be in the same league as something like Anchor Steam…but it would be totally wrong to characterize it as “the same thing as PBR”. It is far from that.

They must be doing SOMETHING right. There’s something to be said for a company smart enough to make beer that the masses enjoy, while managing to enjoy a little bit of praise from some of the beer geek crowd too.
Not bad for a 200 year old company still run by the original family.

Dogfish head is available in Oregon. It should be available in Cali too.

Youngling isn’t bad, but I agree, it’s probably not worth the price to ship it over here

+1 Growing up in PA, Yuengling is quite cheap and can be found almost everywhere. It certainly can’t compete with the Anchor’s and other larger known craft breweries, but it does have it’s place in the market as a decent go-to beer that caters to the tastes of a very large crowd of beer drinkers and beer geeks alike.

[quote=“johngreg2”]I grew up in Pittsburgh and love Yuengling, although not necessarily because of its high quality. It’s true, most of the appeal is that it is descent but still cheap. Growing up, you could drop twenty bucks and bring a case to a party and make everybody’s night.

I remember one time, when I was yet of age, a friend visiting from out of town (and unfamiliar with Yuengling) offered to buy us beer. I dropped her at a distributor (which is where you buy beer in PA) and she came back ten minutes later, after getting laughed out trying to order “ling-ling” beer. Still cracks me up.

Plus, part of the appeal, is that the brewery is the longest continually operating brewery in the US.

If you’re a PAer, it’s just part of the culture. It just sits perfectly with a Stillers or a Buccos or a Pens game (which is how I’m spending my evening right now!).

Definitely worth picking up if you see it, but don’t expect a revelation.[/quote]

Couldnt have said it better myself.

We got it out the “ying yang” now in Ohio. It’s a bit better than BMC but as stated it is no Anchor by any means. I really wanted to love this beer when it was announced it was available in Ohio, but it’s just not impressive. That said, it’s nice to have when only BMC is available and the price is good…

It might be a craft beer training wheel if you will. The folks that used to drink BMC order it and call themselves craft beer drinkers now. Never had any specialty brews from them yet.

Brother in law raved about this beer, until I tried some on a recent trip up north. Its not terrible, but nothing earth shattering either.

I’m a firm believer in “cultural” beers, and I’m pretty sure its a prime example. I grew up in Upstate NY, so Genny/Genny Cream Ale and Molson/Labatts are in that category for me. And now that I’m in Texas, Shiner falls into that territory.

I appreciate everyones feedback. I am not looking for a craft beer, anchor steam, dog fish head nor do i have any expectations from this beer. It is just a beer i have been wanting to try. I love microbrews but can also appreciate a local or cultural beer. I don’t think i will be dissapointed as i am not expecting too much from it. - Cheers!

Adding to the “grew up in PA train”. I went to grade-school in North-East PA. I didn’t get into any sort of beer until I had moved out of the area, but I still return to visit family. Each time, Yuengling is on the top of my list to have at the local bars as well as Victory and Troggs.

I visited the brewery a couple of years ago. It was the best brewery tour I’ve ever been on. You get up-close with the brew hause, which is historic and gorgeous, and you tour their brew caves.

What I’ll add is that if you do find a trade partner, don’t get more than a six pack, and be sure they’re in cans. They also do 12oz green bottles, prone to skunking, unfortunately. Gross.

Did you know that Yuengling was the only beer delivered to the President of the USA on the day Prohibition was repealed? Did you also know that it takes several weeks to brew Yuengling? wink wink

I will gladly send you some Yuenglings.

Live in Jersey. Yeungling (or as we refer to it, lager) is a solid good inexpensive beer. Nothing too bold in flavor, just good. My beer of choice when on a budget or at a bar with out a good selection. The Lord Chesterfield is a very good ale. Most local bars it costs the same as bud. A dollar or 2 for a draft of good beer, you can’t beat it.

+1

Never thought I’d see someone seeking out Yeungling…maybe that’s because it’s plentiful here in MD. If it’s the best thing at the store, I groan and sullenly plop it down at the register :wink: .

I kinda wonder what I’d think of it now that I’m brewing, though, as my perceptions have changed dramatically over the past couple of months. For instance, I was never a big pilsner or lager fan, but now I find them very intriguing. I really enjoy picking apart their malt profiles.

Straub beer is another good local beer. Made in St. Mary’s PA. Decent beer at a decent price. Some of the seasonal beers are very good. Find a friend who grew up in Elk County Pa. Much better fresh.