Yeungling

Zwiller, it would be interesting on how sales are here in Ohio as I think a lot of the rage was because you had to go to PA or know someone going to PA to get it.

Dick Yeungling… if you are reading this I will make one suggestion. DITCH THE GREEN BOTTLE! I have a friend who loves it (yeah, he’s craft now too) and everytime he offers it to me I get a skunked one!

He’s not reading, and I doubt they will move away from the green bottles. Get it in a can, instead.

Honestly, why the hell does any company sell their beer in green or clear bottles?

[quote=“mppatriots”]Honestly, why the hell does any company sell their beer in green or clear bottles?[/quote]Because the majority of their customers don’t trust a beer that they can’t see through (and they’re drinking out of the bottle, not pouring into a glass).

Yeungling became available in my neck of the woods about 9 months ago along with alot of hype. On tap, the traditional lager is a very good beer. The bottled version was disappointing… seemed to have much less hop flavor. I like the Black and Tan.

TV story on increased production. If you do the tour Dick many times is the guy in a flannel shirt. Looks like one of the workers. They have another teally big plant a few miles away from Pottsville building.

Link to TV story:

http://wnep.com/2012/01/13/yuengling-ol ... brewery-2/

[quote=“chuck”]Go buy a can of PBR it’s the same thing over hyped

I was also at one time obsessed to try it after a trip to Georgia and bought a couple sixers and tried it I’m not obsessed any more I was very disappointed maybe it’s better on tap it has to be.[/quote]
that is not true Pbr is one of the last beers I would ask for. Yeungling is much better.

[quote=“pashusa”][quote=“chuck”]Go buy a can of PBR it’s the same thing over hyped

I was also at one time obsessed to try it after a trip to Georgia and bought a couple sixers and tried it I’m not obsessed any more I was very disappointed maybe it’s better on tap it has to be.[/quote]
that is not true Pbr is one of the last beers I would ask for. Yeungling is much better.[/quote]

+1
The PBR of 40-50 years ago was a very good beer (and they made a really good Bock, too).

But this being 2012, there’s no contest when comparing the current day PBR to Yuengling: Yuengling Traditional Lager is by far the more flavorful brew. And it is still made by a family that cares about their product.

PBR in 2012 is just a label. Pabst hasn’t even operated their own brewery in years.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]Zwiller, it would be interesting on how sales are here in Ohio as I think a lot of the rage was because you had to go to PA or know someone going to PA to get it.

Dick Yeungling… if you are reading this I will make one suggestion. DITCH THE GREEN BOTTLE! I have a friend who loves it (yeah, he’s craft now too) and everytime he offers it to me I get a skunked one![/quote]

Maybe this is a modern day Coors craze, but without the Trans Am.

Happened to be near cowtown (Delaware) Monday for work and stopped at a Ralphies which had the black and tan on draft… Much better than the bottled version but is no competition for guiness and harp. I was hoping for some local craft action but no dice. Bartender was kind enough to remind me Bud is made locally but I told her I was not interested in a Belgian beer at the moment…

I guess I had better get on the PA train. I happen to have grown up 10 minutes from the Yuengling brewery, and still live only about 15 minutes away. With that said, I have never done the tour (although I cannot figure out why). Anyway, the reason I’m weighing in on this subject is because they recently(2 years ago) started to make a pretty good Bock for the winter season. I am hopeful that they will try to come up with some more seasonal offerings that are more tasty than their normal lineup. Also, that bock is only about 22 bucks a case! My personal opinion is that I’ve drunk so much “Lager” it’s pretty staggering. Whenever I don’t have any homebrew to bring to family gatherings, I just get some Lager. Every time I do this I re-remember how it is a decent beer for a great price. Just wanted to make sure I gave them a hometown thumbs up. :cheers: I would still rather go to Appalachian Brewing Company to get a few growlers, or pick up a case of Troeg’s(both, only about a half an hour from my home).

Thanks to Tgunnn for sending me some Yeunglings! I really enjoyed the beer. I got a sixer (3 black and tans and 3 lagers. Being an Irishman, i had to try the B&T’s. I was impressed with both of them. My expectations were not inflated due to some of the comparisons to BMC. Regardless, i think Yeunglings is a good beer. The beer i received must be fresh because i did not get any skunky smell or taste. Thanks to everyone who offered to send me the Yeung’s!

Glad you got to try it. Beers like this tend to get lost in all the hype generated by the “craft” side of the industry. The crafties (whom I’ve supported since the very beginnings) make some phenomenal beer, but I think companies like Yuengling and the products they produce are just as worthy. Their beers (especially their Porter and Ale) are still among the few commercial beers I buy if the homebrew runs out.

Regarding the talk of green bottle skunking of Yuengling beers: while I don’t doubt that it has been experienced by some folks, interestingly enough in the 40 some odd years I’ve been drinking their beers I have never had a bottle of their Lager, Porter, Ale, or Black & Tan that ever exhibited that particular flaw, even considering that my taste buds and easily caricatured nose :shock: are both pretty sensitive to that particular flavor/aroma.

Try to get “Lord Chesterfield Ale” very good stuff by Yeungling