Wyeast 1581

Anyone know anything about the Wyeast 1581 Belgian Stout that will be released soon?

Wyeast 1581-PC Belgian Stout
Beer Styles: Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Triple and Quad, Belgian Strong Golden and Dark Ales, Belgian Blonde Ale, Saison.
Profile: A very versatile ale strain from Belgium. Excellent for Belgian stout and Belgian Specialty ales. Ferments to dryness and produces moderate levels of esters without significant phenolic or spicy characteristics.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 70-85%
Temperature Range 65-75°F (18-24°C)

Also being released in the 1st quarter PC of 2012:
Wyeast 1882-PC Thames Valley II
Wyeast 2487-PC Hella Bock

I look forward to this yeast. Time to work on a Hercule Stout Clone. :smiley:

Im buying it for sure. Ill use it in a stout and a mild, probably find some others I want to use it in.

Of course it will also go into the frozen yeast bank for safe keeping, who knows how long it will be before it appears again.

Its had my interest peaked ever since I heard about the planned release. I too will be banking this strain.

Anyone had any luck finding 1581 yet? I placed my yeast order with my LHBS today should be in next week. NB doesn’t know when they will get the 1st quarter PC.

Anybody have a guess which brewery 1581 originates from?

Got the call from my LHBS yesterday and the shipment is already in.

Brasserie Ellezelloise is the brewery it came from.

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/beers/be ... ?BeerID=72

I designed the NB kit that uses it: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/must … rains.html

It’s a new one for everyone - it should be great for everything from a Belgian stout to a saison. I used 3522 when attempting to get something with a similar profile, though that strain puts out quite a bit more phenolic character.

Should be in stock at NB now. The packs we got say Jan 03, 2012.

I made this with it today:
3.15lbs Wheat LME
3lbs Pils DMe
1lb sugar
1 oz German Brewer’s Gold 60min
1/2 oz ea German Smaragd & Styrian Bobek 30min
1/2 oz ea German Smaragd & Styrian Bobek 10min
1.060 OG.

Cheers!

I picked some up today. Dated Jan, 3rd.

I picked some up today. Dated Jan, 3rd.[/quote]
Yep, mine was in on Saturday and dated Jan 3rd.

Brasserie Ellezelloise is the brewery it came from.

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/beers/be ... ?BeerID=72

I designed the NB kit that uses it: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/must … rains.html

It’s a new one for everyone - it should be great for everything from a Belgian stout to a saison. I used 3522 when attempting to get something with a similar profile, though that strain puts out quite a bit more phenolic character.

When I posted earlier in this thread I had no idea it was from Ellezelloise. Now I must change my brew schedule. The other 6 smack packs in my fridge will have to wait.

What is everyone else planning to brew with this yeast?
How about a BIS? :slight_smile:

[quote=“sqhead”]What is everyone else planning to brew with this yeast?
How about a BIS? :slight_smile: [/quote]
I plan on starting with a Dark Mild.

Black & Mild
6.0 Gallons
OG: 1.042
FG: ~ 1.016
IBUs: 20.2

6.00 Lbs. Crisp Maris Otter
0.75 Lbs. Simpsons Pale Chocolate Malt
0.50 Lbs. Briess Caramel 60L
0.50 Lbs. Briess Caramel 120L
0.50 Lbs. Flaked Oats

1.14oz. Mount Hood @ 60 Minutes

Mash @ 155F for 60 Minutes

Final Water Profile - PPM
Calcium - 60
Magnesium - 8
Sodium - 18
Chloride - 100
Sulfate - 39
Chloride / Sufate - 2.53 Very Malty

Wyeast 1581 fermented @ 65F

I planning on brewing a Belgian Stout first and then a Belgian IS. I just tried Great Divides Belgian Yeti last week and really liked it.

1581 ready to be stashed.
[attachment=0]Bank4-2.jpg[/attachment]

My starter is going with 1581. Imperial Stout this weekend. Any updates from those who brewed with this?

Everything has gone well with my Belgian Stout. I’m probably going to keg mine on Sunday.

I’ve got a strong CDA fermenting right now with it. Didn’t have any stouts on the docket and I wanted to give it a try. Even at cooler temps (60F ambient) fermentation was very active with a lot of blow off.

Looks like we all must meet at Baratone’s place since he is kegging his this weekend. I figure I can hitch a ride with Dobe since he is a Jersey boy. By the time we get to Missouri the keg will be carbed. :slight_smile: