Where to get kegs?

Anyone have a good place to buy them? I hear they’re getting short on supply. I’m looking for Pepsi ball lock kegs. It looks like NB is out (I think they convert coke kegs to ball lock), corneykeg.com is selling converted kegs, too. They have the Pepsi kegs, but are more expensive now. I bought their two pack a few months ago for $84 +shipping. Now they’re $56 each +shipping (and out of stock).

Any leads?

Watch Craigslist like a hawk! I picked up 6 ball lock and 4 pin lock at 40 and 20 each respectively.

Otherwise try

. That’s where I got my first pair. They are pretty reasonable.

Craigslist. I bought pinlock kegs with the disconnects and beverage tubing for $30 apiece. As brans041 said, you’ll have to watch like a hawk. It took me a couple of weeks to buy mine because the first couple of times that kegs were posted they were sold in a matter of hours.

When you go to buy them, check them for leaks if the seller will allow it. Assuming you have the disconnects, you can pressurize the kegs with a bike pump and pour soapy water over the lid, valves, etc.

This is were I get mine from http://www.homebrewing.org/ they just bought 10,000 balllock kegs

I got mine on ebay. 25 bucks apiece. I got 4 that ended up being 140 including shipping. Here is a current listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-gallon-ball-l ... 19cd40c2cb

There is a glitch with the shipping calculation on there so be sure to email the seller for a corrected shipping quote. Like I said, mine was $40 total for 4 kegs to CA.

3 of the tanks were great, 1 did not hold pressure. I emailed the seller and he sent out a replacement and let me keep the other one for parts.

That’s a damn good deal, too bad they don’t have manual pressure release valves.

That’s a damn good deal, too bad they don’t have manual pressure release valves.[/quote]

It is a good deal! If I can’t find a better deal with the manual valves, I may hit them up.

The ones from that ebay seller all have PRV.

Those ebay ones look like a good deal! Thanks!

[quote=“spykeratchet”]I got mine on ebay. 25 bucks apiece. I got 4 that ended up being 140 including shipping. Here is a current listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-gallon-ball-l ... 19cd40c2cb

There is a glitch with the shipping calculation on there so be sure to email the seller for a corrected shipping quote. Like I said, mine was $40 total for 4 kegs to CA.

3 of the tanks were great, 1 did not hold pressure. I emailed the seller and he sent out a replacement and let me keep the other one for parts.[/quote]

That seller also takes offers, so I sent him one for 6 kegs night before last. If he doesn’t bite, then the asking price of $29, imo, isn’t bad considering other sites are asking twice that. I can see myself having a 5 tap setup as I like variety, so I may get ten eventually. For now, and me being a noob, I think 6 is more than enough.

Nice to know he sent you a replacement for the one that lost pressure. That makes me feel better about dealing with him.

I picked up 4 from the guy on Ebay. He says he’s getting low on those cheaper kegs, but still has plenty of the ones for $39. I’ll have 9 kegs now, which should be enough for a while. My plans are to get a 14.8cuft freezer and try to keep it full.

I made the guy an offer (6 for $20/ea), but the offer expired and I never heard from him (both direct and through eBay). Oh, well. I guess I’ll just pay his price as I haven’t seen anything lower than what he’s offering. The only thing is, I won’t be able to buy as many as I was hoping, but some’s better than none I guess.

I got my kegs yesterday. Three were fine, the fourth was a mess and wouldn’t hold pressure. I emailed him, but haven’t heard back. I got it pulled apart, cleaned, and I think it’s working now.

How much was shipping on those 4 kegs?

$31 for shipping. Came out to about $36 per keg. Not bad.

Mine shows being delivered sometime tomorrow. Hope I don’t have any that’s dinged up.

Keep your expectations reasonable about the kegs. The ones I got weren’t in great shape, but good enough. Some stickers and scratches and some dents. I think for that price, that’s what to expect. The higher price ones they have are supposed to be in better shape, I think.

If it holds pressure, I couldn’t care less how it looks. I hope he is good about replacing the defective keg as he was with me.

I got mine in today. A couple look better than expected and two have some dings where the rubber meets the SS container. Would that be something to be concerned? Besides that, pretty much what I was expecting. If they hold pressure, then that’s all that matters.

All I have to test the pressure is my air compressor. I have no CO2 as I bought these on a whim hoping to take advantage of the used supply. Can one just fill them with water and use so much air pressure to test them. If so, what’s a safe pressure? I’m assuming some soapy water around the connections and maybe the dents to insure I have no leaks would be correct too?

Sorry for the noob questions. I just don’t want to scare the hell out of my neighbors thinking a few SCUDs have been launched.

I test them with air no water they are safe up to 135 psi but I never go that high try around 30 psi and let them sit for a couple days and see if the presure stays the same. If it’s not then you can start to check for where it’s leaking.