Where to buy sacks of grain?

Hey all:

I’ve been bit by the all grain bug and I want to start having grain on hand. I usually purchase grain from a brewery when needed, but I want to einstein the trip. Where so you all purchase your 50# bags of base grain from? NB had pale malt for 34 bucks, but shipping is another 20. I’m looking for the best all around deal. FYI my neighbor has a mill.

Thanks

David

We buy ours through our LHBS for about 50 bucks. 54 bucks for delivered grain may not be that bad.

My LHBS adds $3 to any North Country price they get. I think I just paid $35 for a sack of Great Western and $39 for Best Malz Pils. I would check with the closest store to you.

I normally pay $50 from LHBS.

LHBS and MOmalt.

Where is this shop? I am in South Jersey and usually pay at least 65 per sack.

It’s worth trying to find a local group buy. This is a great place to start: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/

My LHBS offers Rahr 50 lb sacks for $38. I’ve paid as much as $52 online for it plus $7.99 shipping which wasn’t bad but still, I buy local.
They also sell Schreier for the same price but I prefer Rahr.

[quote=“holaday1185”]I usually purchase grain from a brewery when needed[/quote]Why not ask them to get a couple sacks for you when they place their grain order?

That’s what I do. Local brewery Holy City Brewing helps me out a bunch.

My LHBS only sells sacks of Briess 2 row and 6 row.

I was thinking about trying 50 Pound Sack, but their prices seem a little steep to me.

Yeah I usually order my grain from Holy Ciry (local brewery) but I hear the price per bag is $50. Muddy water what do you pay?

[quote=“paultuttle”]My LHBS only sells sacks of Briess 2 row and 6 row.

I was thinking about trying 50 Pound Sack, but their prices seem a little steep to me.[/quote]

I have used them in a pinch. Local sells Briess, which i don’t like. I usually plan out what I’m going to brew and I buy 6 or 7 sacks at a time. I usually buy grain once a year. It is a 6 hour round trip for me. I usually hit Rebel in Nashville in November. I can’t do $50 for Briess 2 row, worth a trip once a year for me.

[quote=“paultuttle”]My LHBS only sells sacks of Briess 2 row and 6 row.

I was thinking about trying 50 Pound Sack, but their prices seem a little steep to me.[/quote]

Their prices include shipping which might make it a decent deal if you aren’t very close to any homebrew shops.