Wheat Malt?

I’m making my first AG wheat beer this weekend. Its from Jamil’s Brewing Classic Styles. It calls for
3# pils
2# munich
7# Wheat Malt
plus some character grains.

The guy at my LHBS says the wheat malt won’t convert, not enough pils for the necessary enzymes. I assume it wouldn’t be in Jamil’s book if it didn’t work. I can’t find any info in my brewing books about whether wheat malt will self convert? Help? Who’s right.

A quick google search says that malted wheat will self convert. I think either way with about a 60/40 ratio even if what will only half self convert your pils and munch would have enough diastatic power to convert.

Brew it, have fun, and enjoy.

On Jamil’s podcast on making wheat beer he, states that wheat is in fact self converting and you could potentially make a 100% wheat beer.

So no worries.

Briess wheat malts have higher DP than six-row. Even dark German wheat malt will convert it’s self. He either dosen’t know what he’s talking about or selling raw wheat.

The wheat is Rahr white wheat malt. Our host says us up to 50%.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... -malt.html

Since it is already crushed into one bag, I’m going for it. If it doesn’t look like it is converting after 30 mins I’ll add # of 2 row. Thanks for the help.

You’ll be fine with that grain bill. I’ve used white wheat 50/50 with no trouble.
You could give your LHBS guy the benefit of the doubt and say he was thinking of flaked wheat.

Converting is not going to be a problem. Lautering could be. That’s probably why Rahr says 50%. Rice hulls might be a good idea.

Yeah, I’ve had no prob with my wheat malts converting. I typically run a 60/40 but have heard of guys doing 100% and turns out well.

Maybe it sounds like he was referring to a protein rest situation. When using wheat and it more than 20% of grain bill you should impart a rest to allow for full conversion of the wheat starches.

Converting is not going to be a problem. Lautering could be. That’s probably why Rahr says 50%. Rice hulls might be a good idea.

yea conversion won’t be a problem but stuck mash might be.