Wheat in a Munich Helles?

Anyone ever use Wheat in a Munich Helles? Thinking around 10% wheat, 80% pils, 8% carapils and 2% munich 10L. step mash 122 x 30min, 149 x 15 and 156 x 15. Yeast 2308 OG 1.054 FG 1.014ish

In my opinion this moves out of pils flavor/aroma etc with all the added malts…(Even though small amounts it would impact flavor/aroma in my view.) I would go - 0% Wheat , 100% Pils. Many brewers go 80% pils 20% carapils etc…for added “mouthfeel”/body if not step/decoct mashing. So to do the same if step mashing then employ 146F(-/+) x 30min & 158F (-/+) for 30min and mash out at 170f if necessary.

Most Pils malt these days is high in modification and low in protein and thus doesn’t require a rest at lower temps. So it can be successfully used even with single saccrification rest such as 150F.

If using very under-modified malt or intentionally decoction mashing or other varied technique then a 122F rest may be warranted.

I have had success with 2308 and think your OG & FG are right in range.

I’ve used up to a pound per five gallons of wheat malt in a helles, mainly for head retention. Unmalted wheat, in the lines of a weizen, no way. Like the previous respondent I would not use the munich or cara-anything in this. A good German Pils malt will add all the maltiness and color that you want naturally. It should be straw colored, and mashed to come out with a malty dryness, then hopped perhaps a bit more than you think, if you are using an appropriate water low in sulfates to balance the maltiness. Mash schedule looks very good, and I would also echo the 2308, probably the best all round yeast for this.

If you have good yeast management and fermentation procedures, adding wheat (or any other ingredient) isn’t necessary. And if you don’t, adding wheat won’t help.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/ ... techniques

Denny, Great point and it sums up my thoughts exactly.

Were you just pointing to the BYO database in general or a specific topic within the link? As it takes me to the general menu.

I am linking directly to a topic/article within the database I found right away that speaks to yeast management, foam retention and positive fermentation practice and really gives good info mainly about foam retention, but flavor and aroma will be appropriate also if the two points Denny made are followed. Within the article also is a great summary regarding adding wheat malt. I agree with every statement made in the article.

http://byo.com/index.php?option=com_k2& ... Itemid=305

I like a little munich in a helles, maybe 10%. Not the dark munich, just 8L or so.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]Denny, Great point and it sums up my thoughts exactly.

Were you just pointing to the BYO database in general or a specific topic within the link? As it takes me to the general menu.

I am linking directly to a topic/article within the database I found right away that speaks to yeast management, foam retention and positive fermentation practice and really gives good info mainly about foam retention, but flavor and aroma will be appropriate also if the two points Denny made are followed. Within the article also is a great summary regarding adding wheat malt. I agree with every statement made in the article.

http://byo.com/index.php?option=com_k2& ... Itemid=305[/quote]

That’s the article I thought I was linking to!

+1 I like a simple Helles recipe. For a 6-gallon batch on my system that works out to 10# Pilsner, 1# “light” (8-10 L) Munich and 4 oz. Acidulated Malt (to help with mash pH).

+1 I like a simple Helles recipe. For a 6-gallon batch on my system that works out to 10# Pilsner, 1# “light” (8-10 L) Munich and 4 oz. Acidulated Malt (to help with mash pH).[/quote]
Yeah! That’s what I did for my last helles, it was tasty. The munich adds a nice sweet graininess to the beer.