What's the WEIRDEST thing you've ever made wine out of?

Just that. I’ve been brewing wine for a couple of years and have never actually made it out of grapes. My first experiment was a reaction to the rutabega epidemic we had at my college and I just kind of skipped “regular” wines because these just seem more fun.

So what’s your “weirdest” wine? I could use some more ideas, and I’m just plain curious.
Mine was definitely the yarrow flower experiment–I do not recommend! I thought the astringent yarrow taste would mellow out during brewing, but that was not my experience.

Milk… oak leaves and acorns… maple sap… kind of depends on your definition of weird.

2 Likes

Someones State flower, our weed. Dandelions.

1 Like

A buddy made tomato wine. Pretty tasty after a year.

1 Like

Are we counting the fermented sludge in the bottom of my fridge crisper drawer?

1 Like

You could totally use that for a Belgian style beer.

2 Likes

Would you recommend maple sap wine? It was on my list of fermentation projects for when I lived in Vermont, but never quite got around to it…

I’m a PRO at that brew.

I really like it… usually finishes pretty sweet with a lemony character. Especially if you can get it sparkling, it’s pretty great. Just boil it down to around 1.090 gravity, add some nutrients, chill it, aerate it, pitch your yeast, and let 'er go. The pH is pretty low and not a lot of nutrients in it, so it’s a pretty tough ferment for the yeasties. Clears up beautifully. My last batch was almost eiswein sweetness, but really nice chilled.