What to do with my yeast cake?

I’ll be racking a batch of Denny’s RIPA that I used Denny’s favorite yeast to make (thanks Denny!). What would be a good thing to throw on top of this yeast cake?

I want something lighter and less bitter. California common? I’ve got cascade, Amarillo, Columbus hops in the freezer.

Personally I wouldn’t reuse it.

That was a high starting gravity beer you put it though. It is probably beat up pretty badly.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Personally I wouldn’t reuse it.

That was a high starting gravity beer you put it though. It is probably beat up pretty badly.[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not.
I’ve never used that particular yeast, but other strains I’ve used made perfectly fine lower gravity brews after making a high grav one. A few months ago I made a 1.038 Mild using the yeast cake from a barleywine (the yeast was my house yeast of unknown origin, probably one of the British strains originally).
The end result was sublimely tasty, with no flavor defects.
Going further, I subsequently used the yeast cake from that Mild to brew a strong Porter the following week. That brew is still aging, but taste of it after the ferment revealed a tasty porter that will get even better with maturity.

If you’re adventurous, just try it.
You may find, like me, that it will work perfectly fine.

Denny…what’s your take on it…have you ever put this yeast through similar paces? Would the Denny’s Fave strain perform well in a circumstance like this?

I hope so because I made the Wry Smile, then a moderate gravity Pumpkin Ale, then the Vanilla Imperial Porter with plans to do more with various gravities.

Pitch a little more than a third and save the rest in 2 equal sized Ziplock bags. You have little to worry about in my humble opinion. Great yeast there.