What’s Brewin’?

I do not know this as a fact… Yet, I wonder if you harvest your yeast… Put it in a tall skinny receptical, let it settle then hope you could see the layers… The top white creamy layer is the yeast you are trying to wrangle… Be able to carefully extract it with a wine thief?
I’ve got another fermenter to keg… I’ll give this a shot… Be nice to have a
“B-52” kinda shot glass for storage… :mask:
Sneezles61

Like your hydrometer test jar with a stopper.

Exactly Mr.Noob!! Use a foam stopper so it vents… Now my wheels are spinning…
Sneezles61

Airlock?

I think temperature changes and airlocks aren’t always a good choice… Room temp,into the fridge…
Sneezles61

Brewing that SOS recipe @radagast mentioned on another post

1 Like

I’m reading up on Saison’s… Now this sounds like the yeast are the stars of the show… I’ll follow Drew Beechums blueprint on the first endeavor…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

That’s a good place to start. I used his technique to prevent stalling…foil instead of an airlock after the first 48 hours/ or when airlock activity slowed a bit… I used Wyeast 3724. Great attenuation.

Check out The Yeast Bay’s Saison blends they are some of my favorites.

I feel there are some notorious Saison strains that stall as @voodoo_donut suggests I haven’t had that problem for a while.

Omega yeasts Saisonstein’s Monster is a truly no fuss strain.

My Brettanomyces pellicle

3 Likes

Opened up the lake house for the season next weekend and golfing tomorrow (with one buddy in two separate carts). Next weekend I’ll be brewing Plinian Legacy.

:beers:
Rad

4 Likes

Knocked out 2 batches yesterday, 10 gallons of Hop Showers (my award winning NEIPA) and 5 gallons of Summer Squeeze Lemon Shandy from our host. Long day but well worth it and it was beautiful outside. Now today I get to finish cleaning up, yay!

I moved up to a 100qt igloo cooler and was only using a 12inch bazooka screen. Needless to say I got crappy efficiency so my beer will be just below 6%. I’ve now added this manifold and hopefully that will get me back up where I want to be. I keep the Home Depot 10gal water cooler for my 5gal batches.

4 Likes

Me did not brew this weekend. But made 2 starters. For friday brew session. Did keg cleaning. Day. Replace. Beerline. And put a order together. Grain wise. And hops. Me looking. At. Viking malt. Besides. Briess malt

Plinian Legacy half day Brewday! Wife took kids with her to drive her mom home after her visit and will gone gone till Sunday. Figure I’ll do this today and Off the Topper Saturday.

Rad

2 Likes

Testing the hops limit on my CFC :grimacing:

Rad

3 Likes

Are you using whole cone?

No, but there’s 6 oz of pellets in the kettle by the time it’s time to drain. I found part of my issue after I took this picture. When I went to clean up afterward I noticed a tiny pinhole right past the chiller on the outflow hose from the chiller, which lead to the constant pulsing rather than steady flow. I’ll have to be sure to swap that hose next time I use it. All cleaned up now, time for dinner. Yeast starter has been on stirplate since around 2, I’ll pitch before bed.

Rad

What yeast ?

Rad

Tomorow me. Summer. Ipa. Brew session. Same here wife will visit her daughter. For sleep over. And cooking. So me stay home and brew

1 Like