What’s Brewin’?

Well I’m back from a short break and plan on weighing out a bunch of recipe grain bills for a series of British ales today and get some brewing in this week

4 Likes

Do you use a label maker. Printer

No the label maker on Brewers friend and print on regular paper then stick them to the bottles with milk. My sister is more clever and makes and prints pictures and such on some kind of print shop program on her computer. She also uses milk to put the labels on her homemade wine.

Did not know this. Using milk. To atach your label to a bottle. Did learn something today

1 Like

I used to use milk but recently switched to gelatin. IMHO it works better. Seals better, releases easier when removal time comes, and actually is more waterproof overall. Just regular Knox gelatin.

3 Likes

The milk comes off pretty easy and I have milk around all the time usually sour which works as well as fresh. I can see the gelatin would work well also

I am going to do a few small lagers… And employ some rice…
Sneezles61

What kind of grain bills? I’m still a bit disappointed in my small pilsner. Giving it some lager time so we’ll see.

Mostly Pils… I’ll do my rice sacrafanation with a cup on MO… I’m going for 4.5% ±… Maybe 20% of the bill is MO… I’ll nail down the barley side and post… The rice side will be a bit more fickle figure out… I’ll use lemon juice for the pH reducer… I’ve got Saaz and Hersbrucker…
I’ll start simple… Then try cascades or such down the line…
Sneezles61

1 Like

My last Pilsner clocked in at 5%. It was mostly Pilsner with just a touch of victory. I’ve never tried rice yet. You’ll have to let us know how it comes out. Have used a lot of corn in pre-prohibition lagers and cream ales to lighten them up. Rolling Rock and Bud use rice.

1 Like

I read an article that wwaayy back when the German Brewers came to American… they weren’t too thrilled with the 6 row malt… They knew how to get sugar from rice… That’s where that piece gets its start… Getting rice to convert takes more heat than barley likes… So that will be a separate mini mash… Just fun stuff to do… Get away from me with that minute rice!! :upside_down_face:
I like Basmati rice… So that will be another brew once I figure how to keep the hops way more subdued…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I think they used corn rice came later

I’m thinking the corn is the aspect of my pils that I don’t like but I only used 1.5 lbs of flaked maize. it seems kind of bland… It’s 3.8 abv. maybe I should try a step mash or decoction for the smaller grain bill to get more flavor?

That could be it…replacing malt with corn is in effect lightening an already ‘light’ beer. You could go in the other direction and add crystal malt…or not…Its a pils. victory?Aromatic? melanoidin?etc

1 Like

Yea, my thought was the corn would give it more body since I was going so light. May try a little melanoidin next time.

1 Like

I like my little brews very fizzy…
Sneezles61

Melanoidin is my go to body grain. That and torrified wheat.

2 Likes

Since it’s a pils I’m trying to stay away from wheat. Even the corn made it a bit hazier than I’d like.

Saison Buffoon this AM.

1 Like

Had some wyeast 2007 laying around dated March 2020 so brewed up an American Lager today.

1 Like