What Belgians can you recommend?

The last couple of years I’ve brewed two Belgian beers, Duvel and Belgian Blonde (La Chouffe). I would like to add one more Belgian to my repertoire.
Any suggestions ?
I have Ardennes and Belgian Strong 1388, but happy to order another yeast. I have fermentation temp control and access to a fairly good inventory of malts.

Saison? WLP 566 Saison II is a great yeast, easy to work with. You’l want to start at 66-68, and then ramp it up to the high 80s after 3-5 days.

I have a Belgian IPA on tap right now that’s mighty good. I would no way call it a traditional Belgian, but good none the less.

Belgian Dark Strong
Tripel
Dubbel
Witbier
Orval-type brett funk pale ale

this is all assuming you don’t want to wait the 18 months+ for a lambic, gueuze, oud bruin, or flanders red.

If you are refering to using another yeast, I would recommend either the corsendonk yeast(Leuven pale ale) or the wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. You can make a wide range of Belgians with those. Also what about Sours? You could get a sour culture and change it up a bit…

You could brew up a NZ Abbey tripel featuring tropical local hops.
Make it 6-7-8 %, whatever. Make it as strong as you like.
With an IBU/SG of .750/1- or go 1/1 if you want one that’ll really bite your tongue.

I haven’t tried many belgians, so I don’t know how it compares, but I love Tallgrass’ Velvet Rooster. I’ll be brewing it this weekend.

[quote=“Scott Miller”]You could brew up a NZ Abbey tripel featuring tropical local hops.
Make it 6-7-8 %, whatever. Make it as strong as you like.
With an IBU/SG of .750/1- or go 1/1 if you want one that’ll really bite your tongue.[/quote]

Great idea. But, I think that is too much bitterness. I didn’t realize the OP was in NZ… I think a tripel with an OG of about 1.080 (including 2 lbs of simple sugar) with 35 IBUs or so of tropical NZ hops should be really nice.

Since you have two light styles in your repertoire, I’d go with dubbel or BDS. I spent a lot of time brewing dubbels, people like those.

I’m not a huge Belgian fan but I brewed NB’s Belgian Strong Golden

in February and it’s excellent. Just be very patient with it and it will reward you. Mine is about 10.5% ABV and it drinks like a Stella. Fantastic beer.

Rodenbach! Regular or Grand Cru. Best Belgian beer I’ve ever tasted.

Kwak for me - - it is really good

If you want to go for a traditional Belgian, I recommend you try a clone or kit of a Trappist beer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

Some of them have very simple grain bills, like Westvleteren 8 or 12, but are better when brewed with authentic candi syrup.

I’ve enjoyed brewing a variety of Belgians, and recently bottled a clone of Pannepot, which is actually Finnish. In fact this is a good reminder to open one to ensure it bottle conditioned successfully!

Here’s a link to some clones based closely on the real deal. For great insight into brewing Belgian beers I also recommend you read “Brew Like a Monk” by Stan Hieronymus.

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

Edit: OK, since my original joke post was met with silence bordering on scorn 8) , I’ll get back on topic.

I have to agree with Tom on all counts:

A darker and perhaps maltier brew would be a good contrast. Also, I absolutely love dubbels and Trappist ales.

I made something very similar to NB’s Dubbel kit a while back and liked it quite a bit. I felt like the recipe was solid, and any problems it had were in my execution…If I recall correctly, I ended up wishing I’d fermented warmer than I did.
:cheers:

Anchorage Brewing Co. uses Ardennes in their Saison.

http://embracethefunk.com/2012/03/09/ga ... qa-recipe/ http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24903/72810/

You could try for a lambic or if you have patience a lambic gueuze. I recently came back from Belgium, loved the Noir de Dottingnies by De Ranke, might be in a bottle shop. Or Saison Regal. Sounds like you should do a saison, lambic or dubbel.

thanks all. I’m thinking towards a clone of Orval at the mo.

I know its an InBev product, and I’m loathe to reccomend anything from them… but…

I’ve alwaye been big fan of Leffe, you may want to try a few bottles of that and see how that inspires you.

[quote=“Trimack”]I know its an InBev product, and I’m loathe to reccomend anything from them… but…

I’ve alwaye been big fan of Leffe, you may want to try a few bottles of that and see how that inspires you.[/quote]

I actually came here to say the same thing, almost to a word.