What are you drinking now

Where do you get your hops @dannyboy58 I notice they usually have the years posted on them with some as old as 2016 crop. Is that something that matters when purchasing pellet hops that are nitrogen sealed?

I buy a lot of hops from Yakima valley hops. They’re great quality, fresh and dated. After opening a bag I package them with a vacuum sealer and put them in my lagering fridge set to 32.5F.

They keep really well. The ones I use most never last long. Though it seldom happens I will use hops up to a year old(in my freezer) if they pass the sniff test. I’ll adjust AA% down as they age just based on gut feel or whim which are both scientific measures around here.

I usually buy the freshest dated hops unless there’s a crazy sale on the previous harvest and then it depends on the hops.

Interesting. Most of the 2019 imports are NZ hop varieties maybe I’ll give them a try this year. Other varieties that I would want to buy in bulk are either 2018 or 2017 varieties.

Don’t get me wrong if the freshest hops YVH has is 2018 Gr Magnum or saaz or centennial or something I use a lot I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them. Even the 2017s in a pinch because I know they’ve been handled properly and I’ll use them fast. YMMV

Sweet. Thanks for info. Been thinking alot about this recently because I really have no idea how old the hops at my LHBS are and they are stored in a fridge in Tupperware containers. Might have to get a few lbs. I still have about half pound of magnum and idaho 7 to use up

I agree. I’m leary of one of my homebrew shops that repackaged. I’ll only by bulk hop Thai know lll go through

1 Like

Wow that one fingi typing on a phone is toug sorry

2 Likes

Good call @brew_cat. I use alot of saaz and magnum. The rest are always changing. Maybe I’ll start buying those other hops prepackaged. Been wanting to try motueka out though. Might be a good saaz alternative

This is because we are just finishing the 2019 hop harvest. ‘Down under’ has their harvest in the spring.

3 Likes

My AZ Copper Ale using 2-row, Briess copper carapils and one of the kveik strains of yeast with Citra hops. Brewed a few months ago. Very nice beer. Shared it with a buddy and he said, “You made a good beer.”

6 Likes

Huh, prickly pear brew coming up? Sneezles61

Doesn’t that make you feel great when someone complements your creation. Nice job.

Well last night I had a beer at a place I hadn’t been before. Extensive tap line Sip of Sunshine in tap. 2 for 1 after 9. The food was descent but what was funny was all the names of the sandwiches. I had the Kim Jun Ung. Battered chicken, Korean slaw, hot sauce, topped with fried bologna of course

3 Likes

That’s hilarious!

Nothing like food for thought

Just ordered some sabro, strata, and amarillo hops to add to the collection. Thinking about dry hopping my pumpkin saison this year with sabro

We have had a deli here that has always (read: before he ran) had a trump sandwich that smothered in russian dressing.

2 Likes

And let me guess, you could have it with Turkey? I’ll show myself out.

3 Likes

I just got this from my last Untappd delivery

Yes I bought it immediately based off the name and proceeded to rent The Big Lebowski from Amazon to watch while I enjoyed. Solid Pale Ale, plus 1/4 star on Untappd for the reference. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

F*** it Dude, let’s go bowling.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

From last night’s date night where we ditch the kids

1 Like