Well I Kegged It

Made this Peary in October 2018. Stuff happened and it ended up like this. I kegged it today after tasting. It wasn’t rancid and actually had a very light taste. Any comments? Any risk of botulism? :grimacing:

1 Like

What’s it taste like? If it’s been sealed up in your carboy it shouldn’t have gone bad.

1 Like

Tasted like very light pears. Not off-putting.

Well that sounds promising. Was it straight pear juice? Did you add sugar or raisons?

Straight pear cider. I racked it once and I think it got something in it at that point. I’m very interested to see how it tastes gassed.

Well I’ve never made straight pear cider but I bet it will be good carbonated and chilled. It will be a refreshing thirst quencher come summer. Make sure to bottle some for the future

Are you able to check the pH? If it’s below 4.3 and along with fermentation, your risk of botulism is nil.

I’ll have to pull a sample and check.

My lager kicked… hey, look at all the good yeast in the bottom!!! I’ll just dump 5 gallons of store bought apple juice and let it buck, chuck… …
It’s in the freez-mentor… Set at 63*… Forgot to take its gravity… Usually weighs in around .046-.049… Close enough!!
Sneezles61

3 Likes

I like that idea. How long you let her go?

I did one a while ago… Took a couple weeks to ferment out… Don’t forget to put the gas side disconnect on and hose into a jar of water…
Sneezles61

Oh no I’m going to keg and sealer up. Taste it along the way if it gets to carbed let some out

If you stop at .001-.003 it is a medium style… I prefer .997 and there about… Carbed… It’s like drinking a brut champagne…
Sneezles61

Wouldnt even check the gravity just drink away

So you are fermenting under pressure? A sort of spunding valve if you will?
Sneezles61

Yes I will spund into a glass. I like sweet cider, dry cider and in between. I’m thinking this way I get a little everything. Use to work at a sawmill and the old timer just filled a barrel with apples and some raisons and we just pulled some as needed. It got some carbonation never blew the bung. You got what you got. In winter of course you got a Rip Van Winkle hangover

2 Likes

My blow off tube from the keg, is in a beer mug… It was a high pitched blup…
Sneezles61

1 Like

What you can do is hook your picnic tap to the gas side pour some starsan in it and make a loop and just hang it on the keg. Of course lock the tap wide open

2 Likes

We are a practical bunch…

Well, practically time to drink it… kinda bunch? :beers::mask:
Sneezles61