Well I Kegged It

Looks like a Brett fermentation

Some would say lazy

1 Like

But I can’t see through the keg… :upside_down_face::mask:
Sneezles61

Well, I’m to a point my finishing hydrometer floats just above 1.020… As usual, it takes a while to ferment… I did just pull the gas locker off the other day… So this AM, I used a beer pitcher… Barely got the picnic tap hooked up and it started blowing!! There’s some pressure there!!
Perhaps I can rig up my spunding value and do this controlled…
Sneezles61

Huh, well… I think with pulling off samples… All the yeast is now gone… Ferment has stalled… :disappointed: … I’ve got a fermenter that needs to be emptied into a keg then I’ll have yeast to re-pitch…
I did hook up a spunding valve… But due to the above stated problem… I have no idea if it ferments faster under pressure this round… I’ve got 5 gallons more to try out…
Sneezles61

OK, still texting to myself… After reading about using the K-1116 wine yeast for apple cider… I went looking in my collection of odds and ends… I found a packet from 2013!!! It’s bubbling away ! I’ll be curious for a side by side with ale yeast…
Sneezles61

1 Like

No we’re listening just forgot what we were talking about

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:… OK
Sneezles61

So Brew Cat… Let me throw this out there… This batch is being fermented with white wine yeast… I recall somewhere you said to take the wine of its lees sooner rather than later… I’m now down to 1.006… I wondered if I should rack it now… Into a keg, let it finish up with a spunding valve… Room temp…
It wouldn’t really be a waste of time… since it will get kegged…
Shoot… Just let it ride? I’m not so process driven on this as I am interested in the yeast…
Sneezles61

Well wine yeast is not as “refined” as beer yeast and you will get some stuff from it may be good may not. You don’t want any of those flavors in wine but it may work in beer. Some say saison yeast is akin to wine yeast. How did the hydrometer sample taste? Iv never used wine yeast in beer. The other thing is don’t repitch wine yeast to wine anyway. Did you read anything about making beer with wine yeast?

I read a post that 1116 white wine yeast was the favorite of tasters… So… well… I m trying it… I have a tilt hydrometer gizmo in there… (Actually very cool gizmo) I can read gravity and temp remotely!!! So I’ve not tried any samples…
Sneezles61

S

Sneezles61

2 Likes

I am down to 1.000… so I removed the air locker… It smelled like fresh apples… Not even a hint of sulphur… Put a foam stopper on it… into the fridge… So currently it’s at 40*F… You know… I didn’t even pat attention to how it’s clearing up… :pensive:
Sneezles61

1 Like

I rigged up the cap so I could push the cider with CO2…
Very tasty… Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast is a winner for me!!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Cider is very good… I forced carbed it…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

OK… The other 5-er has peaches added and allowed to sit for a day… I was worried about O2 hoped for a small ferment to start before cold crashing… at 52*F now…
Sneezles61.

I think I need a taste test!

Well, I’m thinnin’ make yer ohn!! :beers:
Sneezles61

And here it is… Matured… Very nice!
Sneezles61

4 Likes

the bacteria won’t grow in acidic conditions(pH below 4.6) and thus the toxins wont be formed, so maybe you can try checking the acidity level