Waldo Lake Amber

Going to brew this up Memorial Day weekend. Anyone who has brewed it before have any tweaks or tips that they enjoyed in the final brew?

I’d recommend brewing it in its original glory. with no tweaks

No one has tweaked the recipe more than denny (who created the recipe). and he stopped adding to it, which makes me believe he found exactly what he wanted it to be. as is.

good luck. its a great beer! i wouldn’t change a thing :cheers:

I am also looking at brewing this recipe in the near future – do most people just buy the kit from NB or is there a more “evolved” recipe out there?

I would brew it as is, then change something if you want to the next time around.

Last time I made it I doubled the 0 minute addition to 2oz centennial and enjoyed it.

The kit from NB is my exact recipe. There have been no changes to it.

Great to know, Denny - thanks! I’m looking forward to brewing it…

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]I’d recommend brewing it in its original glory. with no tweaks

No one has tweaked the recipe more than denny (who created the recipe). and he stopped adding to it, which makes me believe he found exactly what he wanted it to be. as is.

good luck. its a great beer! i wouldn’t change a thing :cheers: [/quote]

this…follow the directions to the T…you will be rewarded. No tweaks!!

:cheers:

Just make sure you use Denny’s yeast, WY1450. Don’t sub WY1056/US05/WLP001. While it will still make an excellent beer with those yeasts, to get the full Dennyness you need 1450.

I dry hopped mine with Amarillo and thought it was very tasty. One of the most unique beers I’ve made, the carared really stands out.

This recipe is the main reason I’m moving to 10 gallon batches. Can’t keep in stock at my house.

I did make one small change the last time I brewed the Waldo. I substituted the Rahr 2-Row with MaltEurop 2-Row which is the what Lakefront Brewery uses here in Milwaukee. Not sure if NB ships MaltEurop yet but you can get it at their store in MKE. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Probably the same. I just wanted to buy local since I think it’s great that a major local maltster is supporting homebrewers by making their grain available to NB.

Looks like this one is going to have to be put on hold. My local brew shop does not stock the 1450 yeast and NB is out of stock.

Plan B - Alaskan Amber style clone or IPA of some kind? I have 4 oz of Centennial and 4 oz of Amarillo burning a hole in my freezer at the moment. Anyone have a simple IPA recipe that could utilize these hops that I have on hand?

[quote=“Gopher Brewmeister”]This recipe is the main reason I’m moving to 10 gallon batches. Can’t keep in stock at my house.

I did make one small change the last time I brewed the Waldo. I substituted the Rahr 2-Row with MaltEurop 2-Row which is the what Lakefront Brewery uses here in Milwaukee. Not sure if NB ships MaltEurop yet but you can get it at their store in MKE. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Probably the same. I just wanted to buy local since I think it’s great that a major local maltster is supporting homebrewers by making their grain available to NB.[/quote]

Buying local is always a good thing!