Vienna lager recipe

I was looking to see if anyone had a good AG Vienna lager recipe? I’m hoping to brew a Vienna and use the yeast cake for a Maibock in a few weeks (thinking 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast).

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I’ve got a couple I can share with you. First is a strait vienna, the second is a Mexican version. Both came out good, though I have to say I like the Mexican one better.

Vienna Lager OG: 1.051, IBUs: 24, SRM: 7
8 lbs Vienna malt
1 lbs Munich malt
0.75 lbs Pils malt

1.2 oz Spalter hops, 60 min.

Mash 140 for 40 min, deccoction to 155 for 20 min
Yeast: 2206, ferment at 50F.

Mexican Vienna Lager
OG: 1.044, IBUs: 20, SRM: 6

5 lbs Vienna malt
3 lbs Pils malt
1.75 lbs flaked corn
5 oz Crystal 55 malt
1 oz Mt Hood hops, 60 min
Mash 131 15 min, 148 30 min, 160 15 min
Boil 90 min (for the other one too, forgot to write it there)
Yeast: WLP940 ferment at 50F

[quote=“Gopher Brewmeister”]I was looking to see if anyone had a good AG Vienna lager recipe? I’m hoping to brew a Vienna and use the yeast cake for a Maibock in a few weeks (thinking 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast).

Any help would be appreciated thanks.[/quote]

The best Vienna lager, IMO, is made from 100% Vienna malt or very close to it. I do use 3% CaraPils. Get your OG to 1.045-1.048 and the IBUs to 22-24 with German and/or Czech hops. :cheers:

[quote=“BryanH”][quote=“Gopher Brewmeister”]I was looking to see if anyone had a good AG Vienna lager recipe? I’m hoping to brew a Vienna and use the yeast cake for a Maibock in a few weeks (thinking 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast).

Any help would be appreciated thanks.[/quote]

The best Vienna lager, IMO, is made from 100% Vienna malt or very close to it. I do use 3% CaraPils. Get your OG to 1.045-1.048 and the IBUs to 22-24 with German and/or Czech hops. :cheers: [/quote]
… And what yeast, may I ask? I know you said you made a Vienna with the 940 and liked it very much. I have 2308 and 2124 currently fermenting lagers for me but a hoarded vial of 940 (from earlier this year) is coming out next and I’m going to use it to make a few Mexican beers including a Vienna. Cheers!

Yes, the WLP940 would be my first choice if available. Gopher is using the WY2124 and that’s good although in the Wyeast offerings the 2206 or 2308 are what I go for. So if you have some 2308 now working I’d lean in that direction. :cheers:

Cheers to you, my friend.

Here’s what I went with. BTW, this is my first attempt at my own receipt so we’ll see how she goes…

7 Ibs. Vienna
4 Ibs. Munich
1 Ibs. Pilsen

Mash: Single infusion, 1 hour @ 150F

1 oz. Hallertau (60 min.)
1 oz. Hallertau (30 min.)

Wyeast 2206 (w/ starter of course). I changed my mind regarding the yeast and went with something more typical for the style like 2206.

In hindsight, I should have added a touch of crystal malt of some kind but oh well.

Bubbling away at 50F right now…

Any thoughts?

Yum. This is going to be a really good beer. The recipe looks fairly similar to mine.

Yeah. That does look good.

Excellent first recipe! :cheers:

O.K. now I’m excited. Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I’ve done all-Vienna lagers and I feel like this results in too much of a good thing. I seem to be able to enjoy the toasty/bready flavor of Vienna/Munich malt when its in a recipe with at least half pils or 2-row. I think I’ll try the Mexican version recipe above, it looks more to my liking.

[quote=“Gopher Brewmeister”]Here’s what I went with. BTW, this is my first attempt at my own receipt so we’ll see how she goes…

7 Ibs. Vienna
4 Ibs. Munich
1 Ibs. Pilsen

Wyeast 2206 (w/ starter of course). I changed my mind regarding the yeast and went with something more typical for the style like 2206.

In hindsight, I should have added a touch of crystal malt of some kind but oh well.

Any thoughts?[/quote]
Yes.

My thought is I HATE any crystal malt in lagers. You should have plenty of malty sweetness there from your grain bill. Crystal in lagers goes a long way, at least for me. It makes everything taste like SA Bolager.

[quote=“Gopher Brewmeister”]Here’s what I went with. BTW, this is my first attempt at my own receipt so we’ll see how she goes…

7 Ibs. Vienna
4 Ibs. Munich
1 Ibs. Pilsen

Any thoughts?[/quote]

I’m thinking if you would have added some crystal 40 or caramunich II you would have ended up with more of a SA Oktoberfest like beer instead of a Vienna Lager. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!