Back to Shopping at

Very Low Mash Efficiency Brewday

I brewed IPA today with a very familiar grain bill as a base and a couple of, I thought, minor tweaks.
Boil Size: 13.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.5 %
Boil Time: 62 Minutes



Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
22 lbs Briess 2 Row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 % 1.72 gal
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (Avangard) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 % 0.16 gal
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.8 % 0.12 gal
8.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 % 0.04 gal

That’s the most wheat I’ve used in this grain bill and I’m also using half pound of acid malt rather than my usual lactic acid addition.

So do you guys see reduced mash efficiency when using wheat or acid malt? Shouldn’t Beersmith estimate based on expected yield of the grains anyway?

78% isn’t bad of course but that’s much lower than I usually get and that’s a crap ton of 2 row to get such a low efficiency.


30 minutes into the boil after adding back almost two quarts of extra wort I’ve got 1.068. This may be a DIPA…

My first gravity sample must have been some stratified lower gravity wort.

Rookie mistake


I remember. The ol’ topping up to 5 gallons with tap water days…“Oh No, my OG is 1.010!”


I was gonna give you the old “dough ball” business… Now I can’t…

1 Like

No dough balls thanks to my trusty mash paddle. OG of 1.069. One thing I never really considered is how much the half pound of acid malt contributes to gravity. Just a half pound but still should take it into consideration in the overall grain bill.

Back to Shopping at