Using PVC in all Grain

Is anyone able to articulate why PVC pipe is not used in brewing. It seems like it has a lot of potential, but I can’t seem to find any prevelance of its use in home brewing. Is it a bad idea to let the wort come in contact with PVC? (i.e. a PVC manifold)

I’ve seen PVC advocated in terms of a mash manifold in the book Brew Ware. I’m not real educated on the different characteristics of PVC at certain temps, but I would assume that there is an appropriate schedule PVC which can be safely used in brewing.

My guess is that for most other purposes it isn’t used in brewing because the majority of our set ups must be at least partially moveable, which makes flexible hosing a clearly superior choice for the vast majority of our tubing needs.

I could be wrong, but I am guessing that PVC is fine for hot but not boiling water. There is a big difference between 140 degree water and 212.

In restaurants, we had to quit using PVC piping at floor drains where they were dumping out very hot water (boiling) because over time it softened the piping and deteriorated. We went back to cast iron.

PVC pipe is made from vinyl chloride and chloride solvents. AT high temp these solvents are broken down and the polypropelyne becomes weak. Also at high temp the pvc expells these solvents in small ppm. I take it no one wants to ingest these particle or solvents. CPVC is made of chlorinated vinly chloride, which handle heat well and the material is somewhat harder . CPVC and PVC are also different in size. I work in the plastic ,PVC,CPVC,HDPP and HDPE pipe buisness.

PVC is not rated or suitable for brewing mash temperatures. CPVC is rated to 180F, is used for hot water piping and is fine to use.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, very helpful.