Using Beersmith

I am putting a recipe together on beersmith and I see that it is adding gravity points for Crystal 40L and Chocolate Malt. Is this correct? I know I have been in the sun for too long, but I thought they would add zero gravity points.

I am trying to hone in a recipe at 1.054, but with the Crystal and Chocolate (being mashed not steeped), it’s showing that I would be falling in around 1.072 at 75% efficiency. Am I missing something?

[quote=“andymag”]I am putting a recipe together on beersmith and I see that it is adding gravity points for Crystal 40L and Chocolate Malt. Is this correct? I know I have been in the sun for too long, but I thought they would add zero gravity points.

I am trying to hone in a recipe at 1.054, but with the Crystal and Chocolate (being mashed not steeped), it’s showing that I would be falling in around 1.072 at 75% efficiency. Am I missing something?[/quote]

Nope, they definitely add gravity points. They are not 100% fermentable, but they do add to OG.

Thanks Denny for the clarification. I was under the impression that they were not fermentable for some reason. In any case, I guess I can just increase my water to get me to 6.5 gallons post boil and hit my 1.054, or scale the recipe down.

:cheers: