Using amylase on old grain

I have 7 beer kits which are two years old. They were stored in a cool dry basement. Did not have any heat in basement for a year. I was building a second home and my wife said no more brewing till I am done so I had to stop. I am now off my performance improvement program, and am back to brewing. I have new yeast and new hops even though hops were sealed and refrigerated. I may use the old hops for flavoring not for IBU generation. I was planning on using a 50/50 blend of old and new grain as well as adding amylase to the mash. Does anyone have experience doing either of these things?

I brewed a small test batch of squished using new grain as a baseline and plan on brewing second batch with 50/50 mix and maybe amylase as well (don’t like to change two variables at once unless I am doing a sophisticated Design of Experiments). Will factor input I get from this forum into this next test batch. Thanks.

Yes I am very frugile…I can my own spaghetti sauce, rinse the jar out with water, and lick the plate when done so nothing goes to waste :grinning:

1 Like

I think you know the answer. Yes you could brew with it. But fresher is always better. Grain is cheap. Also depends on the style as well i wouldn’t use it in a pilsner but other styles you may get away with it. Its not crushed is it?

I re read your question, it was about using amylase. What do you expect that to do?

Thanks for your response brewcat!

As I understand, as grains age, they lose enzyme. I am thinking of using amylase with a 50/50 blend old and new grain. I would add the alpha amylase during the mash in the hopes that if the enzymes in old grain were depleted, and the alpha amylase in the new grain is not enough, then the added amylase would help break down the starches. Hoping the 50/50 blend will provide enough beta enzyme and flavors. I an reluctant to add the substitute for the beta amylase as it will breakdown all the starches and unfermentable sugars. This is good for making distillate feed but not good for beer as I understand.

Unfortunately, the grains are cracked. :frowning:

If the grains were NOT cracked… I wouldn’t worry… perhaps, you won’t get as much sugar conversion… I’d go with what you plan, add fresh grist with old grist…50/50… ditch the amylase… I don’t see you gaining much, if any more for the added cost…
Did you build a brew room?
As I think about this… you may dry out the final gravity (with amylase)… which would help up the ABV… But then, a good, well attenuating yeast will also do the same… and be able to re-use the yeast… saving some money… I wouldn’t lick the yeast jar tho… :joy:
Sneezles61

Do you have deer around yer place? Birds? Critters that’ll eat that stuff?
Sneezles61

lol SNEEZLES. I did build a brew room in basement…its not done yet but I have a vent fan with a snorkel to vent the vapors from boil and a 30 amp 240 V line for when I go all electric. I plan to run refrigerated beerlines upstairs through the walls to the living room wall with beer taps in living room. Wine taps for the Mrs. Yes the second home is in the country with all sorts of critters around, deer, eagles, coyotes and black bear. When I walk the trail I carry bear spray as I ran into one two years ago. Its on the Allegheny river and I have a jet boat only used three times this year :frowning: . My spent grain goes outside to see if I can feed the wild turkeys…so far only bugs eat it.

2 Likes

I made a beer from the grains and hops that were in my Dad’s deep freezer from 1985ish until 2014. It was a very bad beer but I did get alcohol.

4 Likes