Unfortunately low gravity Pale ale

I was looking to make an “All Day IPA” inspired beer. I was trying to be in the high 1.040’s, but ended up in the low 1.040’s. I’m looking at about a 4% pale with about 32 IBU.

I know the mistakes were on me, I know what I did, but I’m underwhelmed for some reason at the idea of drinking a pale at 4%. I’m usually a little over 5% when I go pale.

Has anyone built a beer like this for one reason or another? How’d it go?

[quote=“burdbrew”]I was looking to make an “All Day IPA” inspired beer. I was trying to be in the high 1.040’s, but ended up in the low 1.040’s. I’m looking at about a 4% pale with about 32 IBU.

I know the mistakes were on me, I know what I did, but I’m underwhelmed for some reason at the idea of drinking a pale at 4%. I’m usually a little over 5% when I go pale.

Has anyone built a beer like this for one reason or another? How’d it go?[/quote]

Which hops did you use? Your description sounds like a best bitter which can be some good drinking.

I exclusively used Amarillo, bittered to about 32 IBU’s. I also put in some late additions (5 minutes and flameout). I mashed at 148 and am fermenting higher than I typically would (67), hoping to dry this thing out.

Grain Bill:
Two-row - 78%
Munich - 15%
Crystal 40 - 5%
Crystal 120 - 2%

I was looking for a little darker wort than I typically go for (8.5 SRM here). It was beautiful. Either way, I’ll have beer, I just hope it isn’t lacking. The die is cast, we will see I guess.

Never underestimate a good session ale. I bet it’s just fine, recently did something similar by draining some first runnings onto the garage floor and I liked it better! I wasn’t quite in the 4% range, but wouldn’t mind slamming a few pints of low abv.

I agree, don’t underestimate it. I made a 4% session for a party for the lite crowd and everyone enjoyed if myself included.

I was bummed about my beer and just needed a pep talk. I knew I came to the right place. Thank you folks.

I don’t covet high content, I rarely brew or drink a beer greater than 6%. I just haven’t done this before. The wort looked amazing, I’m sure this will work out and I will learn something.

You may be surprised how much you like it. I brew Pale’s in the low 4’s frequently, almost always have one on tap. They are a favorite since it is easy to have several without getting hammered, they are easy to turn around quickly and are a good format for playing with hops. Only trick is to do a thing or two to keep some body in it (eg - mash high, use a lower attenuating yeast, use a higher percentage of low lovibond crystal, etc.)

BYO this month has a decent article about session IPA’s. This couldn’t be more timely for me. My specs aren’t so different from the examples they are putting out there. I’m so over being a sad bastard about my batch. I’m going to dry hop that badboy and drink it like it’s my job…

It is your job. Carry on