Uncertain About Cooler Material

Sorry if this is a simple question but I’m a little worried mashing in a cooler since there are mixed reviews… I was wanted a few extra opinions as I was looking a specific cooler for larger batches. Specifically, I’m looking at the MaxCold Legen 70 by Igloo which can be seen here https://www.igloocoolers.com/00049494-maxcold-legends-70-jet-carbon-ice-blue

Can anyone tell me if this is going to be safe to put hot liquids in?

Most coolers are made with hdpe plastic I wouldn’t worry about puting hot water or worry about extracting harmful chemicals from the plastic. I have a similar 70 qt cooler that I use for many years when i don’t feel like firing up the three 1/2 barrel keggles

The only problem I see with that cooler is the black carbon shell. If brewing outside it will absorb heat from the sun and throw your mash temps off. I would stick with a red cooler for maximum mash efficiency. YMMV.

1 Like

I personally Like the orange one. I can find it a bit easier :flushed: Sneezles61

But blue is mellow, man… :sunglasses:
I use the good old, blue round coleman 5 G drink cooler. Sometimes I wish I had a 10 G one, but mostly I’m OK with the 5.

I gotta orange one! You want it? You can paint it! Blue! 10 galloner!! Oh, Oh… :smile: Sneezles61

1 Like