Top 5 commercial IPAs

So being a big fan of the movie High Fidelity I enjoy starting these topics. The discussion about Celebration Ale in another thread inspired me to put together my current top 5 IPA’s.

1. Heady Topper
  2. Fat Heads Headhunter
  3. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
  4. Ballast Point Sculpin
  5. GLBC Chillwave

The caveat to this list is that I have never tried a Pliny the Elder yet (still need to find some of this somehow). But if it’s as good as everyone says I’m sure it would bump some down.

What’s your list?

[quote=“mattnaik”]So being a big fan of the movie High Fidelity I enjoy starting these topics. The discussion about Celebration Ale in another thread inspired me to put together my current top 5 IPA’s.

1. Heady Topper
  2. Fat Heads Headhunter
  3. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
  4. Ballast Point Sculpin
  5. GLBC Chillwave

The caveat to this list is that I have never tried a Pliny the Elder yet (still need to find some of this somehow). But if it’s as good as everyone says I’m sure it would bump some down.

What’s your list?[/quote]

I’ve not tried some of the ones that are supposed to be amazing, so take that with a grain of salt. I’m down with the Sculpin, but I guess I wasn’t a huge fan of the Celebration Ale. Maybe I had a bad batch that wasn’t transported well or something, but it just seemed very one dimensional. Somewhere in my top list (not really ranked in this order, just what immediately came to mind).

1. Summit Saga
  2. Bell’s 2 hearted
  3. Steel Toe size 7
  4. Lagunitas Li’l sumpin sumpin
  5. 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die

Yikes… that’s a tough one, limiting it to 5. Here’s my list:

1. Bell’s Two Hearted (in cans only)
  2. Lagunitas Little Sumpin’
  3. Bell’s Hopslam
  4. Founder’s Double Trouble
  5. Norm’s Raggedy Ass IPA

H.M. Greenbush Brother Benjamin, New Belgium Rampant. They could easily be either 4 or 5, depending on the mood.

I too am a HUGE fan of the film High Fidelity, watching it a minimum of several times a year. In fact, why hasn’t somebody brewed a giant, over-the-top IPA and named it Sonic Death Monkey yet??? (Okay, I’m calling dibs on that name!) My Top Five Favorite IPAs to date are:

1. Surly Furious
  2. Three Floyds Zombie Dust
  3. Summit Saga
  4. Flying Monkey Atomic Smashbomb IPA
  5. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale

Honorable Mentions are numerous…

should this be counting IIPA’s and APA’s? If so, Heady and 2H should come off. (2H is categorized as an APA, but by ABV, it should be an IPA. Similar to Dale’s).

If counting any American hop-forward beer (as we have so far), no particular order, desert-island:

-Hill Farmstead Abner
-Heady Topper
-Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine
-Maine Beer Co. Another One
-Two Hearted. Because, my God, I just want to know from what farm they source those Centennials.

That’s right. 3 Vermont, 1 Maine, 1 Michigan. ZERO Cali.

Hon. Mention: Dale’s, Union Duckpin APA, Russian River Blind Pig, Hill Farmstead Double Citra, Lawson’s Double Sunshine, Fathead Headhunter.

Yes, “a sly declaration of new classic status slipped into a list of old safe ones, very P#$$y!”

NOW GET YOUR PATCHOULI STINK…OUTTA MY STORE!

If I had 5 IPA taps that would never change (and we are being lenient to include IIPA & PA)

Revolution Brewing - Anti-Hero IPA
Bells - Two Hearted
Victory - Dirt Wolf
Lagunitas - IPA
Green Flash - Le Freak

Who categorizes 2H as an APA? I’m pretty sure it says something along the lines of “an american IPA with the” blah blah blah on the can. I’ll have to have one as soon as I get home to verify that!

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]
Green Flash - Le Freak[/quote]

Apparently not just IIPA and APA, but outright bastardizations like Belgian IPA!!!

@Matt whats next Stone Sublimely Self Righteous!? :cheers:

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“GeerBoggles”]
Green Flash - Le Freak[/quote]

Apparently not just IIPA and APA, but outright bastardizations like Belgian IPA!!!

@Matt whats next Stone Sublimely Self Righteous!? :cheers: [/quote]

Hey I tend to blur the lines between IPA and IIPA. Especially considering “historical” IPA’s were techincally IIPA by today’s standards.

But APA, Belgian IPA’s and Black IPA’s are not IPA’s IMO. Of course that’s my opinion and that’s a discussion for another thread haha.

Stone enjoy bye
Russian river Pliney the elder
Russian river blind pig
Balist point sculpin
Stone ruination

But there are some many more that I love. That was harder than i thought.

[quote=“gdtechvw”]Stone enjoy bye
Russian river Pliney the elder
Russian river blind pig
Balist point sculpin
Stone ruination

But there are some many more that I love. That was harder than i thought.[/quote]

The all “Cali” list. Nothing wrong with that. They know their hops.

Yeah its hard to find fresh bottles of beers from out of state. Also being able to have them fresh at the brewery doesnt hurt.

Agreed. I was in San Diego last summer and the beer in the brewery is MILES above what I get here at home in bottles.

no love for my two faves?

Deschutes Inversion
Cigar City Jai Alai

actually three: Founders Centennial

[quote=“Lost Hop”]no love for my two faves?

Deschutes Inversion
Cigar City Jai Alai

actually three: Founders Centennial[/quote]

Dah…Jai Alai belongs on my list somewhere. May have to bump Union out of HM.

I’m not sure Bell’s Two Hearted is an IPA. It is 52 IBU iirc although I did take a 1st place in the pale ale category 10A with mine a few years ago.
My Two Hearted kicks Bell’s THA mostly because I do more late hopping as opposed to Bells.

My faves are:

Bell’s THA
Founder’s Red’s Rye IPA
Greenbush Anger BIPA
Shorts Bludgeon yer Eye
Deschures Red Chair NWIPA

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I’m not sure Bell’s Two Hearted is an IPA. It is 52 IBU iirc although I did take a 1st place in the pale ale category 10A with mine a few years ago.
My Two Hearted kicks Bell’s THA mostly because I do more late hopping as opposed to Bells.

My faves are:

Bell’s THA
Founder’s Red’s Rye IPA
Greenbush Anger BIPA
Shorts Bludgeon yer Eye
Deschures Red Chair NWIPA[/quote]

Bell’s is marketed as an IPA, and probably has the alcohol to fit the bill. “American Hop Forward Beer” is what Matt is after I believe as the category for his top 5’s! :mrgreen:

Heady Topper and Pliny are double IPAs, they don’t count! :wink: As the thread title says: Commercial IPAs.

1. Odell IPA
  2. Summit Saga
  3. SN Celebration Ale
  4. Stone IPA
  5. Surly Furious

This list is subject to change, of course on a daily basis, but this is off the top of my head.

You people and your style guidlines :cheers:

You people and your style guidlines :cheers: [/quote]
Well, it’s like saying, “What are your favorite Oktoberfest beers?”, then listing a bunch of bocks and doppelbocks.