Top 5 commercial IPAs

You people and your style guidlines :cheers: [/quote]
Well, it’s like saying, “What are your favorite Oktoberfest beers?”, then listing a bunch of bocks and doppelbocks.[/quote]

I hardly think that’s the same thing as including DIPA’s in an IPA list. It would be more like including Marzens in an Oktoberfest list. There is no specific threshold that once crossed you have a DIPA. Many beers could easily be classified as both.

i think its a lot easier to explain the differences between a IIPA and IPA rather than the differences between marzen and oktoberfest, of which I can think of none at the moment.

anyways, this is a thread about commercial IPAs:

1). Sculpin
2). HeadHunter
3). Blind Pig
4). Alpine Duet
5). Bear Republic Racer 5

Given up on Jai Alai. When its really fresh, its great, but a few weeks out and it goes way downhill.

IIPAs:

1). Pliny
2). RuinTen
3). Heady Topper
4). Green Flash WestCoast Double
5). Maharaja

[quote=“blatz”]i think its a lot easier to explain the differences between a IIPA and IPA rather than the differences between marzen and oktoberfest, of which I can think of none at the moment.

[/quote]
Right, they’re basically one and the same. Anyway, good to see you posting again, Paul.

Another High Fidelity (and American Hop Forward Beer) fan. My top 5:

1. Oakshire Watershed IPA
  2. Breakside Wanderlust IPA
  3. Russian River Blind Pig
  4. Boneyard RPM IPA
  5. Deshutes Red Chair NWPA

IPA that are readily available to me that I enjoy are either Lagunitas IPA or Sierra Nevada Torpedo. A little harder to get but one of my new favorites that I can only get in CO is Modis Hoperendi by SKA brewery.

Oh, I forgot about Modus Hoperandi. That’s a good one…

Oh god where do I start…I have had so many IPA’s and IIPA’s it’s hard to choose…I will just list them in no special order…and I need to list more than 5…sorry…

Steel Toe Size 7
Russian River Blind Pig
Ballast Point Big Eye
Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and regular Sculpin
Firestone Walker Union Jack
Odell IPA
Dark Horse Smells like a Safety Meeting
Tallgrass Ethos
Greenflash West Coast IPA

While I have not had an original Pliny the Elder, I did make a clone from a kit purchased through morebeer. A buddy of mine made the same kit (well, his was the extract version) and was able to find Pliny when out in Denver for a conference. He said that the original tasted close to what we made from the kit.

The version I made from the kit was incredible. I had some friends over who are big IPA guys, and they said it was the best they ever had. Couldn’t take credit for it because it was just an all grain kit, but it did rock.

This list is driving me crazy. So many good beers such a small list, maybe top 25?

I forgot about sierra nevada hoptimum and I also really like torpedo and celebration not to mention SN pale ale

Every time I read someones list I see a beer that I really enjoy or a beer I really want to try but can’t get.

One that most of you can’t get but if you see it I recommend is black market rye ipa or liberation imperial ipa. The rye won a gold at gabf a few years back both are very good.

[quote=“Catch22”]While I have not had an original Pliny the Elder, I did make a clone from a kit purchased through morebeer. A buddy of mine made the same kit (well, his was the extract version) and was able to find Pliny when out in Denver for a conference. He said that the original tasted close to what we made from the kit.

The version I made from the kit was incredible. I had some friends over who are big IPA guys, and they said it was the best they ever had. Couldn’t take credit for it because it was just an all grain kit, but it did rock.[/quote]

Give your self more credit than that, the recipe is only a small portion of the whole process.

No particular order…

Heady Topper - The Alchemist
The Truth - Flying Dog
Union Jack - Firestone Walker (never had the commercial but my clone is damn good so the original has to be great!)
Sculpin - Ballast Point
Perpetual - Troegs

I’m an east coast guy and don’t have access to many of the west coast greats!

[quote=“brewmanchu”]No particular order…

The Truth - Flying Dog
Union Jack - Firestone Walker (never had the commercial but my clone is damn good so the original has to be great!)
Sculpin - Ballast Point
Perpetual - Troegs

I’m an east coast guy and don’t have access to many of the west coast greats![/quote]I have my clone of Tröegs Perpetual on tap now. 20 gallons!

Ummm OK my bro-in-law just brought back a sixer of Pizza Port Swami IPA. This belongs on my list as well. It may have just bumped Maine Beer Co off the list.

Pizza Port is amazing. Had a number of their brews on tap when we visited SD this last summer (none of which i wrote down) and every one was brilliant! The pizza is also really good as well.

[quote=“mattnaik”]
Pizza Port is amazing. Had a number of their brews on tap when we visited SD this last summer (none of which i wrote down) and every one was brilliant! The pizza is also really good as well.[/quote]

+1 - excellent beers all around.

[quote=“blatz”][quote=“mattnaik”]
Pizza Port is amazing. Had a number of their brews on tap when we visited SD this last summer (none of which i wrote down) and every one was brilliant! The pizza is also really good as well.[/quote]

+1 - excellent beers all around.[/quote]

+2 which one have you guys been to? I have only been to the carlsbad location been meaning to check out the other spots but carlsbad is closer to my house. The pizza is good wich is awsome because my wire loves it and its one of the few brewerys that she will want to go to.

Swami is really good. I forgot about port brewing mongo and hop 15 ipa yum!

[quote=“gdtechvw”][quote=“blatz”][quote=“mattnaik”]

+1 - excellent beers all around.[/quote]

+2 which one have you guys been to? I have only been to the carlsbad location been meaning to check out the other spots but carlsbad is closer to my house. The pizza is good wich is awsome because my wire loves it and its one of the few brewerys that she will want to go to.

Swami is really good. I forgot about port brewing mongo and hop 15 ipa yum![/quote]

I wanted to try the hop 15 but they didnt have any while we were there. We went to the ocean beach location. We were staying in a condo in the Mission Bay area so this was the nearest location.

Hop 15 is very good, but not any more mind blowing than their other offerings.

I’ve been to Carlsbad, Solana Beach and Ocean Beach(?) locations. I liked Solana the best - i think its the original.

[quote=“MullerBrau”][quote=“brewmanchu”]No particular order…

The Truth - Flying Dog
Sculpin - Ballast Point
Perpetual - Troegs

I’m an east coast guy and don’t have access to many of the west coast greats![/quote]I have my clone of Tröegs Perpetual on tap now. 20 gallons![/quote]

That’s amazing! I brewed a clone of this as well and it turned out far better than expected but not quite Troegs version.

I also forgot Dirtwolf on my list!

Wonder if you guys ever met an IPA you didn’t like