Thinking About Buying Oxygen... Is it worth it?

Money’s tight, should I spring for O2 or just keep swishing?

Most people assume that using O2 is “fine-tuning” and maybe it is. It probably ranks lower than sanitation, proper fermentation temps, etc. but I do think it’s an inportant part of brewing. When you pitch your yeast, those cells like the right temp, the right food and plenty of O2. I just got an email from Rebel Brewer where they were talking about how little pure O2 you get into your wort by shaking or shishing. Bottom line… is your beer coming out okay? If so, don’t lose sleep. If not… you don’t know that “low O2” is the issue. I like to use between 30 and 60 seconds of pure O2 from a canister and through a stone on every batch. Happy yeast = Good beer. Cheers.

Yeah I got that email as well, and it got me thinking…

My FGs rather consistently leave something to be desired in most of my ales. My lagers finish fine cuz of all the time, and yeast, that I give them.

Its really the last investment I need to make in gadgetry, sooner or later I’ll make the purchase…

Thanks for the reply.

I recently got an O2 system two batches ago and I do think it made a positive difference. Cleaner more professional aroma and flavor

That being said, if money is tight, remember this is just a hobby.

Well maybe, I should write that down somewhere for myself

[quote=“brewingdan”]I recently got an O2 system two batches ago and I do think it made a positive difference. Cleaner more professional aroma and flavor

That being said, if money is tight, remember this is just a hobby.

Well maybe, I should write that down somewhere for myself[/quote]
I meant to say that too. If money is tight then don’t pick up an O2 system until you can swing it. When I bought mine it was about $20 and it’s still working, thank Jeebus. I have something like 8 kegs of beer, 8 secondaries full and 5 primaries full and today I went to the LHBS and picked up a 55lb sack of Best Malz Pilsner, some Munich, Vienna, hops and two packs of yeast. This is not a hobby, it’s an obsession. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Worts_Worth”]Yeah I got that email as well, and it got me thinking…

My FGs rather consistently leave something to be desired in most of my ales. My lagers finish fine cuz of all the time, and yeast, that I give them.

Its really the last investment I need to make in gadgetry, sooner or later I’ll make the purchase…

Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

If your lagers are fine, something else is is wrong with your ales.

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“Worts_Worth”]Yeah I got that email as well, and it got me thinking…

Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

If your lagers are fine, something else is is wrong with your ales.[/quote]

I never had problems reaching my FG as I always pitched enough yeast, but the pure O2 just created a better tasting and smelling beer.

if nothing else, maybe a aquarium pump, air stone and some tubing isn’t the greatest system, but would be better than nothing…

Thinking about this one because of the wand.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS ... -P699.aspx

[quote=“Worts_Worth”]Thinking about this one because of the wand.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS ... -P699.aspx[/quote]

I like that. Mine doesn’t have a wand, just the tubing so I have to make sure I drop the tubing and stone into the wort and try to keep it submerged while I oxygenate. You wouldn’t have that issue with the wand. Do you have a birthday or something coming up? Either that or Christmas… ask someone for a Williams (or Rebel) gift certificate so you can slash the cost. Ah, the things we do for good beer.

Just bought the Williams wand, like the idea of not having to fight the tubing. Haven’t used it yet but looking forward to it. Heard somewhere that non stainless steel stones eventually disintegrate because of the acid in the sanitizer.

Does it occur to anyone that $55 is a lot of money for this item? Is it difficult to fabricate or something? I’m not suggesting anyone is gouging the consumer or whatever and I also realize that homebrewers are notoriously frugal but that seems expensive for such a simple device. Mine was about $20 and my original 25’ copper immersion chiller was around $25 and lucky they’re both still operating… both have gotten very expensive lately. Cheers.

Agreed, but to me better than trying to make it myself when they have it dialed in. Plus I told my wife that she had just bought me a birthday present.

Nice.

I think the idea of “building it” rather than “buying it” is a homebrewer’s staple. If someone can buy an IC for $50 or make one for $49, I guarantee a homebrewer would choose to make it… except me. I’d much rather buy the commercial version than build a crappy version myself.

Yeah 55 seems steep, but 180 seems a lot steeper for the big system with a 20lb tank that rebel and others are all abuzz with now.

Anyway, I went ahead and bought it, and I’m sure it’ll work fine for what I want.

Congrats on the purchase W-W. I have been thinking that pure O2 would be even more beneficial for yeast starters than for the primary. (I have used a mix-stir with a 1/2" drill until the foam shoots out for aeration for years and think I am getting decent aeration.)

Thoughts on aeration for starters?

Congrats indeed. It will work great for you.

I also agree that an O2 system is great for starters. Hit the cooled wort with some O2 and then pitch the yeast into the starter and you should see good, quick activity. WW, did you say there was a $180 system with a 20-lb O2 tank? Is that meant for homebrewers? Sounds like a commercial hoozie-whatzit much more than a homebrewing thing-a-ma-jig. Cheers Beerheads and enjoy your toys, gizmos and beer.

I attached my O2 stone to an extra dip tube.

See, there’s a resourceful homebrewer right there.

:cheers:

Yeah that’s the product Rebel was pushing in that email.
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/wort-aeration/airhog-2000/

They are pushing it on the home pages of other sites too, Williams Brewing for ex.

But I guess I fail to see how a better regulator and a bigger tank can justify a $130 price jump… I’m sure its a better tool, but ouch!