The Denny Conn cooler mash tun easy fix

I have seen some discussion lately on this subject, with some interesting solutions, so I thought I would share my own with others. This type of thing may have been discussed in the past but I have never done a search so…

So its definately a problem when you go to try and add a nipple and valve to quite a few of the coolers that have a gap filled by insulation. There is no structural support in the cooler to stop the compression that occurs when tightening the setup to stop leakage. My solution (hopefully you can see it in a picture?) was to take and cut off a small piece of 1" schedule 40 irrigation pipe, cut it the length of the gap between the two sides of the cooler, usually around 3/4" long. Take that piece and cut it into 4 pieces lengthwise. Now it should be ready to force into the gap in the cooler one piece at a time. Sometimes, depending on the cooler (I have only used igloo’s) you may have to push against the insulation pretty hard in order to get the pieces of pvc to seat inside the gap, but once you do, the gap between cooler sides will no longer compress, allowing you to really crank down on things and the leak issues will be a thing of the past. Good luck!

Very clever! Fortunately, I’ve never run into the problem you fix.

Or you could go a different route and do something like this:

That’s what I enjoy about this hobby. There’s no right or wrong as long as it gets the job done. I’m guessing by the number of posts I’ve seen over the years about leaks between the walls of the cooler someone will surely benefit from your suggestion. Seems much better than the gobs of silicone I’ve seen applied. Cheers!!!

I use a 1 1/2" hole saw to drill out the outside layer. Then use washers to fill the gap and give me something stirdy to tighten the valve against.

[quote=“hamiltont”]Or you could go a different route and do something like this:

That’s what I enjoy about this hobby. There’s no right or wrong as long as it gets the job done. I’m guessing by the number of posts I’ve seen over the years about leaks between the walls of the cooler someone will surely benefit from your suggestion. Seems much better than the gobs of silicone I’ve seen applied. Cheers!!![/quote]

+1 Exactly what I did except I used a cheap plastic valve I had laying around. After 2 years I finally replaced that piece of hose jammed through the outlet. It seemed get kind of chewed up and I worried about a leak.

But I like the original posters idea, maybe what I will do on the next cooler.

Mine is exactly like Hamiltont works great and no leakes.