The cost of stepping up to all grain..and is it worth it?

FWIW, once you get your process down you’ll find that a brew day takes almost exactly the same amount of time as it does to watch a Saturday/Sunday football game. Coincidence? I think not. Multi-tasking at its finest!! :wink:

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]FWIW, once you get your process down you’ll find that a brew day takes almost exactly the same amount of time as it does to watch a Saturday/Sunday football game. Coincidence? I think not. Multi-tasking at its finest!! :wink:

:cheers: [/quote]

I said it before. I’ll say it again. WE NEED A ‘LIKE’ BUTTON ON HERE!!!

[quote=“StormyBrew”]FWIW, once you get your process down you’ll find that a brew day takes almost exactly the same amount of time as it does to watch a Saturday/Sunday football game. Coincidence? I think not. Multi-tasking at its finest!! :wink:

:cheers: [/quote]

With no TV in the garage, all this does it prevent me from seeing my terrible Brownies on brew day…which might be a good thing :twisted:

Good point, if I had better planned brew days this year, I would have spent less time yelling at my TV watching my Steelers implode this season. :lol:

I think I would be inclined to at least start with a NB AG kit or two to get a handle on things before I dive all in on attempting recipe design. I still have a lot to learn about different flavors imparted by the different components but I’ll keep observing and learning as I go. I think my next step will be looking into a grain mill. Also, I’ve been reading through a lot of posts on here and am curious if I should even attempt AG without getting a water report first?

Rad

do you have a water softner in your house?

No water softener, tap water is fine to drink and I’ve been extract brewing with it for the past year. We do have a Pur water pitcher we typically drink from that we keep in the fridge but that’s mostly from habit as we got it 10 years ago when we lived in an apartment.

Rad

[quote=“Radagast”]No water softener, tap water is fine to drink and I’ve been extract brewing with it for the past year. We do have a Pur water pitcher we typically drink from that we keep in the fridge but that’s mostly from habit as we got it 10 years ago when we lived in an apartment.

Rad[/quote]

if you don’t have a water softener you probably have “softish” water. Probably decent for brewing though a report will help.
If any doubts use RO or distilled with a few minor salt additions or spring water

Yes it’s worth it. I will reiterate a few things others have said. It’s not that expensive and the beer is much better. Go to Denny’s site or youtube to build a mash tun. The burner and 10 gallon pot are worth it because my beers were noticeably better when doing extract when I went to full volume boils. So if you ever go back to extract or just want to do one for a shorter brew day you have that option. You have much better control over the grain bill, no matter if you build the recipe or it’s a kit ordered from NB. A single malt syrup and some hops just does not compare to say 3 different grains in your recipe. My 2 cents.

Brewing all grain is so much more rewarding, I find. Starting a batch by weighing grains out of a big bin, measuring out specialty grains, crushing, mashing in… Feels so much more creative.

Totally agree. This really has nothing to do with how good the beer turns out, but has everything to do with how satisfying a hobby brewing can be.