Storing PH Meters

I have a new PH 56 meter from NB and have not decided exactly how I will store it in the storage solution. If anyone has a photo of your storage solution I would appreciate looking at it to get some ideas.

Thanks
John

You can get something called Parafilm from NB. This is a material that is like a wax in paper form, you can stretch it around the top of the bottle and seal the probe so the storage solution doesn’t evaporate.

I know scientific equipment companies also sell bottles for storing probes in solution, that have a grommet in the lid. You might even be able to make your own with a fermentor grommet in the top of a pill bottle or the storage solution bottle.

Lenny,

Thanks for the grommet idea, I have several sizes of them laying about… now to find a suitable container that won’t tip over easy.

John

Does the cap on that meter have a reservoir for storage solution? If so, just store it standing up with solution in the reservoir.

Edit: I guess not. The manufacturer recommends storing in a jar filled with 1" of solution.

I have a pH56. I just fill the cap with the storage solution and stick it in the foam lined box that it came in. I’ve written “This end up!” on the outside of the box to remind me to keep it standing upright. I’ve never had it spill more than a couple drops if it falls over. It is always still wet even if I go 2 months without brewing.

Many store the meter with a touch of solution in the cap as mentioned. I had done that for a while but wanted something more permanent so I just popped a 1" hole in the lid of a half pint ball jar and inserted a 3/4" grommet. The Milwaukee probes fit just fine in this setup. The Hanna Phep pens will require the cap trick or other method.

Thanks for the photo, I have tons of ball jars laying about. I’ll use one of them that way I can see the storage solution level.

Thanks
John